Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Long Can a Battery Last?

Polling the automotive experts here....

Bubba's an F-150. 2005. He's what, 8 years old?

Original battery. How long can a battery last? Every time at home I park him just so, such that we can get either of our other two rides out of the garage to jump Bubba off, just in case. And don't block the other two rides in.

Imagine that - I call into work and say, my truck battery's dead and it's got our other cars blocked in because I'm just basically just plain stupid.

The truck battery is BIG, like nearly twice the size of a regular car battery. But it can't last forever, can it?

I learned my lesson when Sassy's battery (2006 Fusion) died in the garage, literally overnight. Works good today, dead as a hammer in the morning. Graveyard dead. No running down slow, no indication that it was gonna die.

I think it's time to spend (some more) money on a new battery, to avert the inevitable. Advice and opinions appreciated.

dub
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Your own battery 6 months, one sitting in a junkyard 10 years.

Comment

Buy one. Now.
      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

delco voyager in my brother's boat , just celebrated it's 18th birthday

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
          Buy one. Now.
          Okay, thanks Stude. That's really what I wanted to hear.

Cha-CHING! More dollars. But ya gotta keep going.
          Last edited by pdub; August 19, 2012, 06:38 AM.

Comment

i replace a couple battery's a day on average in the shop. most are between 4 and 5 yrs old. a battery is a chemical machine and its life is dictated by how much it is used and that determines how fast its chemicals get depleted. you will have a very hard time finding a battery with a warranty of longer than 3 yrs (full replacement warranty...) there is a reason for that......

Edit - clarification - a battery is 'working' 24/7 365... that is, even when the vehicle is parked and turned off, those chemicals are still reacting and trying to make electricity... this action is what causes sulfates to develop inside the battery. so even though a battery isn't being 'used' it still depletes.... actually charging and discharging a battery is good for it... it helps to 'clean' things inside... but this charging/discharging needs to happen in a way the battery was designed for.... such as Optima (AGM) battery's really hating it when they get completey discharged - just an example.
            Last edited by oldsman496; August 19, 2012, 07:11 AM.
            Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

I've had pretty good luck with batteries over the years, and I usually buy mid-grade batteries. The big-black-no-name-made-in-Mexico one in the Crown Vic has a manufacture date of 6-04 and is still going strong. Of course, now that I've just typed this it's probably dead now.
              Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

3-5 years. Sometimes much less. I wonder about the older batteries - they did seem to last longer; I wonder what (if anything) is different
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                  I wonder what (if anything) is different?
                  the purity/quantity of the metals and concentration of the electrolyte...(lead-acid batts as an example) substd parts make for a cheaper product. and EVERYONE shops on price nowadays (WalMart). No point in makin' a better product if it doesn't sell.
                  Last edited by oldsman496; August 19, 2012, 07:50 AM.
                  Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                    3-5 years. Sometimes much less. I wonder about the older batteries - they did seem to last longer; I wonder what (if anything) is different
                    x2. Off the dealership lot they crap at 2 years and three days. Off the shelf at the parts store they are usually good for 5 years of normal stuff, and much longer if the climate isn't extremely cold or hot and the roads are smooth.
                    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

The Red Top Optima in my Chevelle is from 98. It sits a lot, and I don't disconnect it, and rarely turn off the battery switch. After sitting six months, it now needs a charge - but it still takes a charge (when a battery is bad, it won't take a charge).

If this was typical, I'd swear by them... but I've heard this sort of life isn't typical.
                      Last edited by yellomalibu; August 19, 2012, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Battery in the Mustang is the one it came with when it was built in April 2002
                        Local person
                        sigpic

Comment

Here in Florida with the heat an average battery might make it 3 years tops.

The heat seems to kill them fast and when they go it's not like up north where they give you some warning.

In Florida you turn the key is there in nothing at all not even a click.

Jimbo

Comment

I bought my Caprice from the salvage yard and they gave me a battery that I guess came in a car that was junked. That was 2001. I just replaced it.

Battery life is dependent on a ton of things from battery draw when the car isn't used from like alarms and such; how good the charging system is; etc.

If your truck is starting up every time without issue, I'd worry about other things.
                            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post

If your truck is starting up every time without issue, I'd worry about other things.
                              It is, but I'm going to prevent me from something to worry about. We sure didn't "worry" about Sassy's battery until the morning Unit called me at work and said Sassy wouldn't crank. In the garage. I'm glad the car's doors were unlocked, or we'dda been screwed two ways from Sunday. Dead, dead, sudden death of a battery. Never cranked slower, etc., no warning whatsoever.

I'm going to Auto Zone, like right now. How about a betting contest, high-low? How much will Bubba's new battery cost? It's not your everyday lawnmower battery. Let the games begin....I'll report back with a new battery.

Comment

Working...
                              X