Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mark Martin Dodged a bullet in a very crash.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Martin Dodged a bullet in a very crash.

Martin's 55 spun down pit road after trying to avoid a spinning Terry Labonte's #47. The scary part happened when he slid driver's side first past an opening in pit lane and hit the short concrete wall at the other end of the opening just behind the door and in front of the right rear tire. The wall penetrated more than a foot into the car and literally cut the frame rail in half smashing the oil tank that sits directly behind the driver. That is supposed to be the single toughest part of the car and it was cut like a it was made of balsa wood. A foot farther forward and Martin would not have fared so well.

He was just fine, but it was definitely scary to see that wall cut into the car like a big knife.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Glad Mark's okay, it used to be Michael Waltrip who often hit the once-in-a-million-nobody-will-ever-hit-this object somewhere out of the way on the track kind of stuff.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
      Glad Mark's okay, it used to be Michael Waltrip who often hit the once-in-a-million-nobody-will-ever-hit-this object somewhere out of the way on the track kind of stuff.
      I remember Waltrips crash at Brisol where the old gate to the infield was at. Nothing left of that car.

The scary thought here is that Martin is driving Waltrips old ride.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

guess the wall breaks will go bye bye

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
          I remember Waltrips crash at Brisol where the old gate to the infield was at. Nothing left of that car.

The scary thought here is that Martin is driving Waltrips old ride.
          Yeah, he did that, and Darrell was crying in his car, sure Michael had to be dead.

And the only race I ever saw from the grandstands at Rockingham, The Grand National (Busch? Nationwide?) series, Michael came off of turn two and slid sideways and passenger-doored the water barrels that protected the start of the concrete wall that was the pits on the back straightaway. Spectacular.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
            guess the wall breaks will go bye bye
            I looked up from the boobies...errr... my empty beer in time to see it, he got lucky really. Hit it in the strongest part of the side of the car, almooooost missed it. Another 18" forward and it might have been a lot worse. I bet he's still sore as hell. Ouch.

They could water barrel the wall to speak directly to your statement. I don't pay attention that close, but holy hell, the way he hit it, they should think about something.
            Last edited by Beagle; August 19, 2012, 02:19 PM.
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Mikey is AWESOME. Wish he raced more often. Man he was fun to watch crash. I love NASCAR.
              Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Originally posted by Caveman Tony View Post
                Mikey is AWESOME. Wish he raced more often. Man he was fun to watch crash. I love NASCAR.
                Yep. There it is. There's gotta be a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Caveman Tony View Post
                  What about the time he crashed backward against the wall and he couldn't get out of the car? He's 6 foot 4 or something, big guy. He couldn't get out.

So the next year NASCAR tried an escape hatch on the roof, and Mikey won a race and threw the hatch open and stood straight up in the car to celebrate.
                  Last edited by pdub; August 19, 2012, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Waltrip also spent 20 minutes stuck in a car that ended up on its roof at Talledega. He was screaming at them by the end because they thought it was toodangerous to flip it over with him in it. But, I guess flipping down the backstretch is safe. Sitting in a upside down wrecked car is safe.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I liked when Darrell and Mikey raced. Did not have to listen to their "commentary".
                      Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Working...
                      X