No announcement yet.

Polish or paint the trim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like polishing trim, on small trim like you have install it on the car then mask the paint around it use a high speed die grinder with a cloth polishing wheel on aluminum use a medium cutting rouge first then a polish rouge, if you have a die grinder you can get the supplies at ACE hardware for about $20.00 you can get a small polish wheel and a couple small tubes of rouge, you will be quite amazed at the finish you can get.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffClark View Post
      I like polishing trim, on small trim like you have install it on the car then mask the paint around it use a high speed die grinder with a cloth polishing wheel on aluminum use a medium cutting rouge first then a polish rouge, if you have a die grinder you can get the supplies at ACE hardware for about $20.00 you can get a small polish wheel and a couple small tubes of rouge, you will be quite amazed at the finish you can get.
      I will look into this for the trim that I left on the car. Thanks!
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
        Get a bench grinder and do your best polishing.
        I agree with Scott, get some buffing wheels for the bench grinder and some compound for aluminum, it'll shine right up.....

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
          That bottom one was a bench grinder polishing.
          Post #7

Comment

I voted for polish, but and alternative is paint or coating that is well off the usual. My buddy Karl used Alumablast paint with clear coat accented with black on his 62 F-100 gives a metalfalke effect. In a bizarre turn, the side strip on that truck is the same extrusion as that used on 61 Impala's!

Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
              Post #7
              Your not doing it right, then...... I polished the aluminum brackets I made to a mirror finish, your probably using the wrong compound or not applying enough pressure........ Was the polish you were using a liquid or a solid bar?.....
              Last edited by TC; August 23, 2012, 10:05 AM.

Comment

I'll add, you should use two different types of buffing pads a stiff one and a soft one, first you'll want to use the stiff buffing pad with a cutting compound that is for aluminum this will buff out the scratches, then stay with the stiff pad and use a all purpose compound, then switch the pad to the soft pad and use a final polishing compound......

If you get the compound from Harbor Freight you'll need the Dark Gray, Brown and White compounds(in order of use)...... A stiff pad will have lots of stitching close together a soft pad will have less stitching spaced further apart.......
                Last edited by TC; August 23, 2012, 10:20 AM.

Comment

As TC says with rouge I use the Black (dark grey) and brown on my sewn wheel then on my final polish I use a Canton flannel with white and or blue (in that order) it takes some heat but easy when you figure it out, this is on a actual wheel not a die grinder but one of my parts as cast then polished.

Comment

Mind you, I'm not sure the OE anodizing is completely stripped off, or how to tell, which is different from an aluminum bracket.
                    Last edited by TheSilverBuick; August 23, 2012, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Im putting a 65 Chevelle togeather now that my brother abandoned at my toy box and im in the polishing and trimming stage now Ill shoot a pic of polishing tonight when I go there, I did the tail light bezels last night and the Black rouge took the anodizing off with no sanding.
                      Last edited by JeffClark; August 23, 2012, 11:15 AM.

Comment

This is the tail lights on the 65 they are aluminum and were anodized, they looked like crap compared to the rest of the car so I polished them in the Black Brown and White rouge order then sprayed clear over them, I also did the stainless headlamp rings, door locks etc...

Last edited by JeffClark; August 24, 2012, 05:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
                          In a bizarre turn, the side strip on that truck is the same extrusion as that used on 61 Impala's!

61`Belair maybe? not the impala. I have a 61 belair, so I notice these things
                          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
                          X