Aunt Meg's doilly paint jobs....Earth tones are out, Pastels are IN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aunt Meg's doilly paint jobs....Earth tones are out, Pastels are IN

I just got nostalgic with the CAFE thread and remembered in the 70's, HRM announcing that earth tones were out. Pink and Teal are in. Gawd, I hated teal. Maybe it was because of my neighbor's baby vomit green pacer.

How do you paint flake or pearls with water based paints?
    Last edited by Beagle; August 22, 2012, 05:01 AM.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Teal .... wow. I had to have a pink and teal pinstripe on the Chevelle the 1st time I painted it ..... it was the in-thing back in the 80's! Can't stand any combo of those 2 colors nowadays.

Watched a re-run of Stacy David's show yesterday that was talking about modern day paints. They say metal flake is actually easier now w/water base/borne paints as the flakes lay down better/smoother.
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

oh good lord, no. I had an accounting teacher in college that dressed like Don Johnson, but in pastels.... it really was worse than it sounds.
      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; August 22, 2012, 07:54 AM.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I never liked the pastels, not on a 50s car, not in the 80s, and certainly not with pink and teal pinstripes. The only car that it ever kinda worked on was Troy's 60 chevy, and it was monochromatic teal but very glossy. I think it would have been better in almost any other color, but he wanted to get noticed.

I absolutely hated the splash graphics, they were dated as soon as they came out. The 80s were a low spot for me, especially when there were pro street big tire cars powered with 305 TPI engines. ick.

Comment

late 80s...I was building my 39 chevy street rod.....I painted it orange. Screw pastels
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I cant wait for the first "rat rod" with pastel splach graphics...i will lose all faith in the hobby
            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I like all the different era’s. I do like some more than others.
              Currently one of my favorites is the 70’s/early 80’s street machine look, like what was done to the Crusher Camaro.
              I love to go to a show and see cars that were clearly finished at different points in the past, and still remain unchanged.

Comment

The monochrome thing was certainly over done. I will never forget seeting a 70 mach1 like the one I was driving parked at Blue top drive in on a friday night - it was painted orange with heavy pearl, they painted EVERYTHING - the grille, headlight buckets, door handles, rear window louvers, the rear spoiler, bumpers, and it was all painted assembled, just a matter of time before it was full of cracks.... the drips on the underside of the rear spoiler were - dare I use this word - EPIC.
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Monochrome paint done well was OK for me. I hated the sub-14 second Pro-Street cars from that time period.
                  I just had a memory from the late 80’s that I wish I hadn’t.
                  Anyone recall the front drive PRO_STREET cars that were done? I remember seeing some in HOT ROD Magazine!

Comment

Originally posted by mike343sharpstick View Post
                    Anyone recall the front drive PRO_STREET cars that were done? I remember seeing some in HOT ROD Magazine!
                    Uuuurrrpppp......sorry, you just caused my memory to vomit a bit. Good grief, I thought I had that one permanently blocked out, but you breached my mental barriers, thanks man.
                    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

My bro has a Pacer that he refuses to let go... at least he (we) finally got it going again. His is white with those finned aluminum mag wheels I snagged for him at the flea market. He'd love that pastel Pacer, if only because it doesn't appear rusty.

I'll go ahead and say I don't care to see a return of pastel colors - but I do like the new light blue color that some cars are coming with... only because it reminds me of the 69 Chevrolet color "glacier blue".

There's a Chevy around here that still has the EKG "heartbeat" in the rear window ... was that the 80's or early 90's?

Comment

Nothing dates a car like a paint fad. In a few years fake patina with a rubbed-through topcoat will look as stupid as teal with a heartbeat stripe.
                        Serious gearhead? Visit----> Mac's Motor City Garage.com

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                          The monochrome thing was certainly over done. I will never forget seeting a 70 mach1 like the one I was driving parked at Blue top drive in on a friday night - it was painted orange with heavy pearl, they painted EVERYTHING - the grille, headlight buckets, door handles, rear window louvers, the rear spoiler, bumpers, and it was all painted assembled, just a matter of time before it was full of cracks.... the drips on the underside of the rear spoiler were - dare I use this word - EPIC.
                          depends how its done ..

sigpic

Comment

Oh. Oh. Oh my.
                            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Whoa!

Comment

Working...
                              X