Jack Stands or lift?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Stands or lift?

Just curious.... When I was out in LA putting the 555 in the Camaro I used a lift for the first time... and honestly it was a treat in a lot of ways.... there were things that weren't so great but over all it was a nice experience...

Now to my reality... Personally in my shop here in Nowhere Alabama... I don't have a lift... ( I most likely could afford one so that really isn't the issue )... I like working off the floor...

I've built or rebuilt quite a few cars off the floor in my shop... I use a creeper... and scoot around just fine... doesn't seem to bother me much at all...

How bout you guys... anyone else like working off the floor?

K ( notice many Cup teams don't have lifts either )

Re: Jack Stands or lift?

I have two at work, I'll use one of them, thank you.

Comment

98% of the time we work on the floor

Hell, I rarely break out the air tools either. Im just so use to turning wrenches at the track and its just as easy for me most of the time to grab a ratchet or wrench to get something done. Paul has talked of putting a lift in his "garage" for some time now, its like a crack whore dream anymore haha

Comment

Have always used the floor till this year. Buddy put in a lift just before I destroyed the tranny first time out for the season and enjoyed it. I pulled the car over there again when it was time to take everything out at the end of this season. Mostly like it for tranny work. I remember when I could lift one up using my knees and arms but I am getting a little older now.

Comment

Depends majorly on the job...but I work mostly off the floor...no creeper...I work for an industrial laundry and we have tons of carpeted runners...they are more comfortable for me then a creeper...I need the leverage of having something pretty solid under me since I am a smaller guy

Comment

i have worked on jack stands my whole life. it is such a habit to me that i actually get all screwed up trying to use a lift. it doesn't help that al my friends who have lifts are way taller than me, so i end having to try to work on my tip toes and that sucks.

Comment

You don't have to set it to their hieght. They are adjustable, and if installed and used properly, they are much more stable and safe.

Comment

You couldn't pay me to work on my back rolling around on a creeper, there is a reason they call them CREEPers.. lol I have worked with lifts for over 25 years. When I downsized and closed my full repair shop, (was gonna give me a heart attack with stress) I kept one of the lifts, have it in the current shop.

As cheap as lifts have became, I couldn't understand anyone who had the room not having one..

Comment

Lifts are great for a lot of repair work,but it seems each type has a drawback for certain jobs.Jacks stands are good if you can get the vehicle as high as it needs to be,never use cheap quality stands.
                  Sometimes stands put you at the perfect height when using a creeper. Lifts make the maintence on a daily driver,such as exhaust work,oil changes, brakes and suspension jobs so much easier. With a transmission jack some jobs on a lift are Quicker. Most of my work involves a sheet of heavy cardboard or carpet, small pieces of 1" foam work great too.

Comment

Jackstands, on the floor, whats worse never could get used to creepers, when I tug on the wrench I want the wrench to move. Lay on thick carboard most of the time.

Comment

I've thought for a few minutes about putting a lift outside, but it wouldn't work in my shop...I have a 10 ft ceiling and my trucks are almost 6ft tall.

I've used jackstands and the creeper so long it's just natural to...but then again after I turned 40 getting up off the creeper is something that I don't look forward to. And I'm still relatively young.

I helped a friend put an engine in his car at his house recently, he has a bunch of carpet on the floor, it actually was reasonably comfortable. Ok for putting a new engine in, but not so nice when you're spilling fluids all over the place like when doing repair work!

a lot of my friends have recently built shops with lifts in them.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Jackstands. Could never afford a lift till recently. Now I'm an old dog that can't learn a new trick.

Comment

I still use both. I use the lift more than jack stands. I just turned 46 and have had 3 back surgeries. So laying on the floor anywhere to long gets ruff. Also the lift is so much safer and I can do most jobs quicker. But if the lift is full and I need to do something small well i use the old stands.
                          Moonshine the official Power Tour Drink.

Comment

Originally posted by min301
                            You don't have to set it to their hieght. They are adjustable,
                            that is sort of a problem. if i set it to my height they hit theirs heads on frames, transmissions, mufflers....whatever is hanging down. if they set it to their height, i get to stand on tip toes. since i am terribly out numbered by the tall people you can guess where the car will end up getting set. lol

i am 5' 8" with friends that are mostly 6' or better.

Comment

I'm a fan of Jack stands and cardboard, but I do like a smooth level pad of concrete to work on. I much rather sit and do brakes, keep the engine low and close to the ground for oil changes to keep oil from going everywhere (My Buick's and FE engine's oil filters are easily accessible from the top under the hood). I wouldn't mind using lifts for exhaust work, starter changes, and....that's all I can think of off hand. Will be interesting to see if my views change, I believe the shop I'm looking at has a lift or two.
                              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                              X