Bioengineered Bacteria Fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bioengineered Bacteria Fuel

A humble soil bacteria has become a genetically engineered factory capable of making fuel for cars. But the project still has to get out of the lab and scale up to industrial-size production.

The folks at MIT are off-the-scale smart. I keep waiting for the next headline, where they've figured out how to turn old phone books into a vaccine for herpes.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

That would not surprise me PW.

Comment

There has been a lot about butanol. The problem is it is less efficient than gas so although it gets similar mileage you lose power, has about the same octane tolerance, and takes ten times the water required to make the same ethanol. So you cant up the compression, you have to treat the water used to produce it before you can release it back to the environment, but it is a drop in fuel that not everyone can produce that will run in engines just as they are. Its very toxic too, makes methanol look tame when its the type used for fuel.

I guess if we ran out of oil tomorrow and couldnt produce gasoline anymore, and we couldnt build new engines then sure its a great thing. The main reason it is being pushed is because you cant make it yourself, so you have to go to a producer to get it if your car runs on it.

Comment

interesting stuff.

cleaning out my 26 year old gas tank found the northern mystery slop, its like thick saliva. dads diesel used to get it in green.
          bacteria is among the fuels, doing what it has to.

I was just watching the sun burns via fusion. Why fuel is associated with things getting ripped apart and acting like there is no return .. ridiculous.

the ocean has the answer.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
            interesting stuff.

cleaning out my 26 year old gas tank found the northern mystery slop, its like thick saliva. dads diesel used to get it in green.
            bacteria is among the fuels, doing what it has to.

I was just watching the sun burns via fusion. Why fuel is associated with things getting ripped apart and acting like there is no return .. ridiculous.

the ocean has the answer.
            you get that algea crap in your diesel tank and it's incredibly hard to get it out. I've seen tanks have to be replaced many years ago, did they figure out how to kill it?
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

In the world of bulk fuel , we use bottles of a shock treatment to help control algae in diesel fuel.

Comment

On the opposite end of this spectrum, I worked for the dude in the below video as a library research assistant my freshman and sophmore years at UMass (along with working at the diesel garage). I would go into the lab a couple days a week and get a list of research papers he wanted copies of and hunt them down in the library, make the copies, and deliver them to his office. This is the guy that pioneered the bacteria that ate up the oil from the BP spill and junk. I didn't understand one word of the stuff I was copying, but I liked hunting all this junk down in the stacks of the 26-story library building.

This bacteria stuff is really interesting.

Here's Dr. Lovely talking about his bacteria that can clean up the environment.

That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by realsteelfreak View Post
                  In the world of bulk fuel , we use bottles of a shock treatment to help control algae in diesel fuel.
                  Same with Jet-A....a product called Biobore is added to kill the algae.........
                  Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                  HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
                    On the opposite end of this spectrum, I worked for the dude in the below video as a library research assistant my freshman and sophmore years at UMass (along with working at the diesel garage). I would go into the lab a couple days a week and get a list of research papers he wanted copies of and hunt them down in the library, make the copies, and deliver them to his office. This is the guy that pioneered the bacteria that ate up the oil from the BP spill and junk. I didn't understand one word of the stuff I was copying, but I liked hunting all this junk down in the stacks of the 26-story library building.

This bacteria stuff is really interesting.

Here's Dr. Lovely talking about his bacteria that can clean up the environment.
                    That is some cool stuff right there, using nature to clean stuff up instead of chemicals. Would like to hang around him and learn something.

Comment

Working...
                    X