Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8th Grade Essay Assignment

This one blows me out of the water.

Sue Unit's niece is in Pittsburgh. 8th grade, in a private school, I might add. Not that I think that has anything to do with it, but...

Along the lines of the 10 best cars thread, but not at all the same in magnitude, in a different galaxy....

She and her classmates were given the assignment of writing an essay with the title of, "How People Are Not Equal, and Why?"

And points awarded for doing book and internet research on it to back it up, with quotes and credits on the footers of all the pages, like so called "white page" reports are. Where in the heck do you find evidence in books and on the internet to back up that sort of subject?

I mean....an 8th grader? I mean....what 8th grader has so much of an insight that.....Golly Ned. That's.....I'm dumbfounded by that very concept, and I'm already dumb and not well founded to begin with.

I'd almost like to read some of those essays....but, no I wouldn't. What the heck are they.....(I just tripped a breaker in my main brain power board)....
    Last edited by pdub; August 27, 2012, 02:47 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

yep, that's different. could have all sorts of off beat connotations. i would hope grading was done based on how well the child did the research and documented thier attempts at presenting that research in a presentable way.....rather than the childs opinions of who are not equal and why. I would like to read them though. might be enlightening. interesting fur sure.
    Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

I hope she draws the conclusion that people are born equal, with equal opportunities (at least here in America).
      It's the choices made afterwards that affect how we end up later in life.

And I hope she also doesn't try to stray into "fairness", which is another thing altogether (and was not gauranteed by the Founders).
      You see - the teacher posed a trick question, or at the very least you could called it "loaded".

Should be interesting. You'll let us know how it turns out, P?
      Last edited by studemax; August 27, 2012, 04:40 PM.
      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post

If luck strikes, Stude. Sue Unit has already asked her niece to scan her essay to us. Would that be copyright violation to post it up? Or a violation of the niece's privacy?

But it should be interesting at the very least if we can get it.....I can't imagine the content. I just cant imagine the content, when you ask an 8th grader a question like that, such a loaded question.

If she does send it over here....I think it would be a violation of her privacy to post it. Gosh, but I'd love to see that. What would be the answer to that question, from the mind of an 8th grader?
        Last edited by pdub; August 27, 2012, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Dear Teacher,

It is my hope that we are all born with equal opportunities, but it should be obvious by now that we will not have equal outcomes. Thank You.

-Beagle

1. I'm not sure who I stole this quote from.

and now we know why I spent a LOT of time in the principals office in the 8th grade. I would have written that then.
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

If luck strikes, Stude. Sue Unit has already asked her niece to scan her essay to us. Would that be copyright violation to post it up?
            P, if you had ever copyrighted a piece of music you'd know the answer to this one.

For the record, homework is not copyrighted.
            Further to that, Sue Unit ASKED her for permission (I don't know if your niece gave it).

And while I am at it, I DID NOT ASK for your niece's homework to be posted here.
            I asked you to tell us how it turned out.

But as usual, p - you overanalyzed it, and turned it into a mess.
            Thanks so much.

Why don't you take Red for a drive, and get your mind right?
            Last edited by studemax; August 27, 2012, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Why don't you take Red for a drive, and get your mind right?
              Touche Stude, well played! I did and it is (well, as right as it will ever be, which is probably not worth trading in toward anything of value).

The niece still hasn't scanned her essay over here, but if/when she does I'm absolutely fascinated to see what's in it. And if she does let us see it at Weeville, I'll be sure to type up a Cliff's Notes version of it and let everybody else know. That's just gotta be rich.

Probably won't get it, or she's so busy (classes, soccer practice, life-important kid stuff, etc.), she may have not even written it yet.

Gosh, I wanna see that essay. No, I wanna see all the ones from the whole class.

Comment

spammer reported.

- Spam deleted along with spamwich account. Yay WhiteMonster.
                Last edited by Beagle; January 15, 2015, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Glad I looked at the date stamp before reading the entire thread.
                  http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Ah. I was wondering why Beags was calling Peewee a spammer.

Still an interesting topic, but I'll save my pontifications unless people actually want to revive the thread.
                    I'm probably wrong

Comment

I hope she draws the conclusion that people are born equal, with equal opportunities (at least here in America).
                      It's the choices made afterwards that affect how we end up later in life.

And I hope she also doesn't try to stray into "fairness", which is another thing altogether (and was not gauranteed by the Founders).
                      You see - the teacher posed a trick question, or at the very least you could called it "loaded".

I agree with you, but, they did guarantee fairness.... that whole "fair trial by your peers" - of course, if you're not a criminal, you're not entitled to fairness
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I agree with you, but, they did guarantee fairness.... that whole "fair trial by your peers" - of course, if you're not a criminal, you're not entitled to fairness
                        Nowhere in the Bill of Rights does it use the word "fair". You are guaranteed the right to a jury trial by your peers as a matter of law.

This idea of "fairness" in government is a recent trend, borrowed from communist ideology.
                        Last edited by studemax; January 15, 2015, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Would love to see those Essays. Also wondering what the daily lessons have been about leading up to an assignment like that.

Has anyone ever seen this documentary about Jane Elliot? It is an all time favorite of mine. If you have the time it is well worth a watch...

Happy Martin Luthor King Day

Last edited by LORENSWIFE; January 15, 2015, 09:13 AM.
                          That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Sue Unit's Niece is probably a Junior in high school now, not 8th grade any more. I bet she's figured out that rich folks aren't equal to poor folks by now.
                            Last edited by Beagle; January 15, 2015, 09:24 AM.

Comment

I protest the unfair and demeaning treatment and stereotyping of zombies.
                              Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Working...
                              X