Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terms We Take for Granted

Why do they call the guys in the airplane "Hurricane Hunters?"

They completely do not have to hunt for the hurricane. They already know where it is. This one's as big as the whole Gulf of Mexico and we can see satellite images, radar-in-motion, etc.

I mean, "hunter" by nature would suggest, "Hey guys let's fuel this thing up and fly around and see if we can find one today, want to?"

Maybe Hurricane Measurers. Hurricane Hunters - A term we take for granted.

There's a major construction site between home and where I work. Barrels, concrete barricades, etc, and they never take down the orange floppy sign whether they have a flagman out there working traffic or not - "Be Prepared to Stop."

Okay, I'm prepared to stop. But when driving, shouldn't I be prepared to stop all the time, or I'm going to hit something one of these days for sure.

And a sign on the road between here and Pittsburgh - "Adjust Speed to Weather Conditions." Again....is that brand new advice to anybody driving through there?

Terms we take for granted.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Dyselexic folks read "SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT" ..... Riiiiight!

Comment

My fave is "Baby On Board". Damn! I was planning to run into that car (or minivan) at WOT and now I'm gonna have to find another victim. Better luck next time...

Or, as loved ones leave - "Drive Carefully". Again, Damn! I was planning to careen wildly all the way home and now they've gone and spoiled my plans. I've taken to saying "Careen Wildly". They wonder if you've taken out a big insurance policy on them.

Dan

Comment

Have a safe trip, or be careful...my response to anyone who says this to me is always...Oh hell no! I am going all out with reckless abandon!
        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
          Have a safe trip, or be careful...my response to anyone who says this to me is always...Oh hell no! I am going all out with reckless abandon!
          That one hits close to home Joe. My mom was June Cleaver, and anytime any of us left the house Mom said with her trailing off and worried voice...."Be carefullllllll"

My sister always called exception to that - "Mom, what about HAVE FUN?"
          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Why say "Have fun"? Going somewhere to have fun, why be told to have fun?

Comment

Around here they put up signs and leave them up all year that admonish you that the "bridge may be icy" and it is humorous in July. Still up here, it could be icy in July, just not often. Its really funny in Nebraska where they leave them up all year and it definitely wont be icy from May to October.

Comment

How about the "Slow Children Play Here" signs? I'm surprised that they group the slow children near those signs - maybe like the "Deer Crossing" signs?

And on a serious note - Bob, are those "Deaf Child" (or "Blind Child") signs really helpful? Not saying they aren't, I just wondered if the trauma is worth any safety advantage.

Dan
                Last edited by DanStokes; August 29, 2012, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                  Why say "Have fun"? Going somewhere to have fun, why be told to have fun?
                  Because people like my father forget that certain things like vacation are supposed to be fun, not work.
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                    How about the "Slow Children Play Here" signs? I'm surprised that they group the slow children near those signs - maybe like the "Deer Crossing" signs?

And on a serious note - Bob, are those "Deaf Child" (or "Blind Child") signs really helpful? Not saying they aren't, I just wondered if the trauma is worth any safety advantage.

Dan
                    \

LAMO!! trauma? are you suggesting that my kids are traumatized because of a sign that warns people to slow down because they cant hear a car coming? No, safety is paramount over any trauma my kids might incur because of a sign. Since the signs have been put up the speeds on my street have slowed signifigantly. From what I can see, you have to be tough and have thick skin to be a deaf child. Children and adults are ignorant and cruel. My kids have a very high self esteem and are well liked because we do not shelter them or hide them away. Unlike many parents we are not ashamed of the fact our children have a hearing loss, a sign is the least of their worries.
                    Last edited by JOES66FURY; August 29, 2012, 09:41 AM.
                    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Joe, that's great. I'll wager your kids are TOPS! Some kids don't want to stand out whether they're tall or short or skinny or fat or deaf or whatever. Especially in Middle School! And maybe for some it's a phase they go thru. I was wondering if a sign that points out to the world that "different" kids live here would be an issue but it sounds like you have pretty well idiot-proofed your bunch. (GREAT for you!) Anyhow, that's what I was thinking when I typed that. Glad that traffic has slowed in your neighborhood and that the sign is helping keep the kiddos safe.

Dan

Comment

youre absoulutly right Dan, the question was a valid one for someone outside the deaf community. Kids dont like to stand out, hell as an adult I dont like to stand out. To me it is important to turn a percieved weakness into a strengh. My kids make honor roll (rare for a deaf student) they are tri-lingual (english, spanish and ASL) they play sports, are active in the community. My wife is the driving force behind this, as a deaf educator she sees and understands the need to make these kids "get it". All of this seems obvious to us but sadly it really is not the norm. Short, fat, ugly, pimples, tall...it is up to the parents to build them up and make them proud of what they are...so many parents just toss these kids aside. Makes a guy want to beat the snot out of people!

Comment

I applaud you, Joe... I wish you were my dad..
                          My dad bought a farm to " hide" his deaf wife and sons.. (my opinion, as he was rather mean to his meningitis caused retarded brother and sister)
                          Growing up, I had huge globs sticking out of my ears... Deaf kids were especially mean.. Hearies were no better..
                          I came to terms with my loss about 35 years ago.. So most of my life, I struggled... I am me, accept me as I am, for I can be no other..

Dan, one of my good friends found a "DEAF CHILDREN PLAYING" sign and proudly posted it on his barn... We play with cars, he has some machinery caused loss..
                          How deaf am I? I hear ambulances when they are right beside me... No increase, no warning, just blissful quiet then the blare then the cursed ringing of ears..
                          I was a " pioneer" of mainstreaming... What a lonely time.. I was shunned and avoided, one girl ( I found out years later when we remet) was afraid she would get deafness from me like the flu...

Life is good now... Home's paid for, a shack, but mine.. No car payments.. Kids who appreciate me and come visit me.. I have keys to their houses, have 2 sweet grand daughters who are learning signs and hug me like crazy... Life is Grand, to quote Pdub...

Comment

What is with the End Landscaping signs? We have those here...Is it a PSA asking people to stop landscaping? Is it informational to tell you that now you will be entering a no-mans land of cement and trash?

Click image for larger version

Name:	imagesCA39H5PE.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	863871

And this one...placed near the border check points on Northbound freeways. Rumor had it that these were going to be changed out because it was perceived that this directed illegals where to cross rather than cautioned drivers that there may be people running accross the freeway...I think if I were entering the country illegally I would find a better place to run across the freeway than right near the border checkpoint.

Click image for larger version

Name:	images[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	863872
                            That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Work Zone signs (Like Flagman Ahead) that are left up when no one is working is one of my pet peeves! It creates disrespect for signs that are important to worker safety. You should call the City/County/State and tell them the signs are being left up when no one is working. It is for their own good. As far as the bridges freeze before roadway signs they are left up year round because of the cost to uninstall / reinstall every year. That and I would hate to be one day late reinstalling the sign after someone died on a frozen bridge.
                              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                              ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                              X