No announcement yet.

Terms We Take for Granted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They take down the "Flagman Ahead" sign, but not always the "Be Prepared to Stop" sign.

And the ones that I've seen most often on the interstates are the (whichever lane) closed X-mile(s) ahead so you start cruising and thinking strategy if there's lots of traffic. And then you may just get there and find that the lane is not closed at all, just all the cones thrown to the shoulder or median, like they did the work last night or whenever, but they're not doing it now.

And I've seen a solution to the "Bridge Freezes" signs but I can't remember where. The diamond-shaped sign was hinged in the middle and in warmer weather they fold it down to where now it's a triangle, green background instead of yellow and it says "Please Drive Safely." Those may even be in South Carolina, but I wouldn't testify to where I've seen those.
    Last edited by pdub; August 29, 2012, 12:35 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

NC has / had some of those signs that were cut in half, you still have to send someone out there the flip it up.
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
      ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post

Dan, one of my good friends found a "DEAF CHILDREN PLAYING" sign and proudly posted it on his barn... We play with cars, he has some machinery caused loss..
        Can I get a "Knuckleheads Playing" sign for my shop? Haven't seen one but it would provide fair warning to all who enter.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
          Can I get a "Knuckleheads Playing" sign for my shop? Haven't seen one but it would provide fair warning to all who enter.

Dan
          Not the same part of the body exactly, but maybe:

Click image for larger version

Name:	boneheads.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	863874

Comment

Dan

If I still knew someone in the sign shop I would get you one made...he PCS'd some time ago. they make all the road signs on base...
            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Here they will put permanent construction zone signs up while they are working and then leave them there forever, they come just before the signs that say "traffic fines doubled in construcion zones...
              That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

I've seen signs that said "bridge ices faster than road" and to me they make a lot more sense than "bridge may be icy". The bridge may be icy signs always get me in the middle of summer. No, I can say with certainty that the bridge is NOT icy.

Comment

Originally posted by LORENSWIFE View Post
                  Here they will put permanent construction zone signs up while they are working and then leave them there forever, they come just before the signs that say "traffic fines doubled in construcion zones...
                  Thats is true for a long term construction project they install signs at the start and end of project. Short term projects normally use sign stands.
                  http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                  1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

we drive on parkways but park on driveways

fire fighters fight fire
                    crime fighters fight crime
                    do freedom fighters fight freedom

yellow signs with speeds numbers are SUGGESTIONS not laws...in all 50 states
                    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Vegetarians eat vegtables
                      What do humantarians eat?

Comment

Yum! Soylent green. What is Soylent brown made of?

I always thought speed limit signs were suggested MINIMUMS.

Dan

Comment

Yum! Soylent green. What is Soylent brown made of?

Dan
                          It's a suggestion in Atlanta, on off-days. I've been going 100 mph on the beltway on a Sunday and getting passed on both doors.

Except for rush hour. Why do they call it rush hour when everybody's stopped?

Comment

Dan
                            It's the same with airpspeed/mach indicators......that red line isn't really a limitation, it's a goal!
                            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                            HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Terms taken for granted..

DINK. Must be short for Humperdink.

Kenny Bernstein, long live the King! Budweiser's Top Fuel wheel man for most of my interesting years, there is still a bar right by my dad's house. Humperdink's. Paid for a lot of Kenny's road trips, as it should. It was Kenny's bar.

Sometimes when I say "DINK" it makes me think.
                              Last edited by Beagle; August 31, 2012, 07:12 PM.
                              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

"Dink" is the sound your wedding ring makes when it comes off your finger by accident into the bed of the pickup truck when you're loading a whole lot of "we're moving" stuff and then you can't find it for all of the stuff you've already loaded.

Comment

Working...
                                X