No announcement yet.

You know you're a gearhead when...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when your youngest tells you your car "can't make smoke like the cars on TV"....then you promptly find an empty parking lot to prove him wrong.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by BangShiftChad View Post
      You look down at the burger you are eating and see two giant greasy hand prints on it, shrug, and keep eating it. FYI, this happens to me A LOT!

If I had a quarter for all the ATF, engine oil, gear oil, and brake kleen I've eaten I wouldn't need this gig.
      People used to use castor oil as a laxative, so you should be as regular as I am from all the fluids ingested.

Originally posted by Gary 351C View Post
      When you've brainwashed your wife to the point where SHE tells YOU about the cool car she saw on the way home from work today.
      Just got the wife trained to do that, now I just need her to be able to identify them correctly.

Comment

When you have to have a 5000sf building to put all your crap in along with your own foundry and machine shop just in case

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
          when your youngest tells you your car "can't make smoke like the cars on TV"....then you promptly find an empty parking lot to prove him wrong.
          Sounds like a two win day Joe -
          Phil / Omaha

Comment

Unlike a Doctor, you have to wash your hands *before* you go to the bathroom.

You slow down to 70 on the highway to get a better look and then exclaim proudly to your mate "That's a bumper off an 82 Camaro!"

Fast Orange is a perfume

You take an intake manifold off the couch so your guests can have a seat

Your kid calls you to ask which is the best blower for a OHC Ford

Your four year old refers to ricers as "Big gay wing" but then realizes his mom doesn't like that and whispers BGW in your ear the next time. (no offense meant, it used to be okay to call something gay without pissing off every special interest group). We've since started calling them Big Flambouyant Wings. The point was it did nothing, and he knew it, presumably from hanging around dad.
            Last edited by Beagle; August 30, 2012, 11:24 AM.
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

.....when you go to the parts store and the guys asks "what car is it for" and you have to check your list to see what car that part actually came on.
              Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
              1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
              1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
              1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
              1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
              1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

You consider chirping crickets and triple engine boat music to be the "Sounds of summer"

The smell of two stroke oil makes you think "Money"
                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

How 'bout when your car project has it's own room in the house...

Then there was the other day when wife asked daughter what year that Chevy across the road was, and she got it right at 1969. I was so proud! (Is that why I don't make her clean?)

Comment

GOJO near every sink in the house and you are able to ID 30 year old cars from 1/4 mile away at night by their parking lights. Habit of looking into garages in new neighborhoods for the diamond in the rough. Wondering what the 85 year old neighbor drove 50 years ago.

Comment

After cleaning up the garage, you open a tube of moly grease to maintain that "garagey" smell. You want it clean, but not TOO clean...

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                        When youre daughter tells you that she is now wanting to get welding certificates, and youre so proud you tell her that the POS 66 Plymouth taking up space in the driveway is hers if she gets certified.

Proud papa? maybe a little.
                        You're just happy that you found a sucker for your rust bucket.
                        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

You accidently cut yer hand,and 10w30 Valvoline oozes out!

Comment

- You keep a list of the year, make and model the parts on your car were originally from for the kid at the parts store who can only look things up on the computer.

- A guy at a car show asks how many degrees ABDC your intake valve closes, you know because you checked it.

- 99.9% of people don't understand what the hell you're talking about most of the time.
                            Last edited by 72redfish; August 31, 2012, 06:28 AM.

Comment

As us LSR racers know -
                              You say you do Land Speed Racing and the person you're talking to returns a blank stare. Then you usually get a response like, "Oh, what does your car run in the quarter?". Or, "Dale Earnhart was the greatest driver ever". NO CLUE. Every once in a great while someone will light up and say, "I always wanted to go to Bonneville" and then you can have a real conversation. In a way I'm being hard on these folks as they're looking for a way to relate to you, but it's kind of frustrating. One of the excellent things about BS is that everyone knows what LSR IS even if it isn't their kettle of fish (whatever THAT means).

Dan

Comment

You explain drag week as a "bucket list vacation" and nobody understands

(but Rhonda is starting to get it, this is enormously good)
                                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                                X