Homemade Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade Music

Dragging through old files and stuff...I used to be able to play guitar but I never was able to sing very well, but I did it anyway. Because nobody else was around to do it.

My buddy Chuck and I worked up nearly a whole set of tunes and he was so much of a personable guy that convinced a restaurant owner in Lancaster SC that we should play there and entertain his customers.

Me on steel Dobro and vocals, Chuck on his million-dollar Taylor guitar playing rhythm, and the restaurant owner's friend on harmonica. He kinda sorta invited himself to sit in. Or the owner invited him.

We played there three times, my buddy Chuck had never played out before. But when he was ready to play out he wanted to do the talking on the stage. Amazing. Introducing songs, etc.

The first voice you hear is Chuck's. This is...we used to love to hate this song, but we played it because we both knew how to play it. As soon as we could replace it with another song, we would have....but then I had to move to Tennessee and our act was history anyhow.

Lancaster South Carolina, 1995:

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

I like it Pdub.
    Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

good tune. I like the slow stuff homegrown music
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I miss making music so much.....but I'm too old now. I've forgotten more guitar licks than I ever knew to begin with. It's just about depressing, remembering how much fun it used to be:

Last edited by pdub; August 30, 2012, 07:49 PM.

Comment

P... you already know what I think of your singing and playing.
          No need to revisit that.

But I gotta say.... you guys talked too much. When I was playing way back in the stone age, we knew we were hired to do one thing - SELL ALCOHOL! And that didn't happen when we were boring. It happened when we were playing, and we made sure we played as much as possible. The owner wanted those asses boogieing on the uptempo tunes, and bellies rubbing together on the slow tunes, and they better ALL be having fun ALL the frickin time - or we wouldn't get hired back. So we got out there and EARNED for 4 hours straight, and that's why we gigged all the time.

Yes, we talked - but not for long. We didn't make excuses, we didn't tell stories. We entertained - it was work, not practice - and we weren't there to entertain ourselves. That came afterwards when we headed to the Dunkin Donut at 4AM, goofy and tired from being up too late. We were never going to play with Miles Davis or Roy Clark, ya know? But we were booked more dates than both of them together.

So, I'm sure you had fun. But you weren't serious about it. I'm just saying.
          Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post

So, I'm sure you had fun. But you weren't serious about it. I'm just saying.
            So true and so true. Wait, did I say so evermore true on the first part? Wanna make sure I did. By the way, that first part is REALLY true, just so everybody knows.

Ya know, I've got so much make-music hardware left over, I could sell it all and turn it into a blower for Red. No, don't get me to thinking about it.
            Last edited by pdub; August 31, 2012, 02:05 AM.

Comment

Ya know, I've got so much make-music hardware left over, I could sell it all and turn it into a blower for Red.
              There's always Craiglist or eBay.
              And it doesn't have to be a blower.

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
                There's always Craiglist or eBay.
                And it doesn't have to be a blower.
                Goddamighy Stude. Lemme cry a little bit willya? And then I'll be okay, and THEN I'll sell the stuff. Maybe. Probably not. I like looking at it and remembering.

Comment

I'm going to disagree with Stude. We played a LOT of gigs, especially in HS. We routinely hit it biggest when we let the listeners peek behind the scenes and understand a little of what we were doing. That said, we didn't play bars much and didn't want to - putting up with obnoxious drunks was never my forte (although there was a night I played behind chicken wire).

Yes, we were in it for fun and the music and really didn't care about making money. It's a different mindset.

PW - I LIKE your stuff. I REALLY wished you lived closer. We could jam w/ME and my neighbor. As far as "too old" - ME just had a fiddle weekend with Mark O'Connor and his crew and is just now starting to loosen up a bit and play fiddle in addition to violin. And she has 12 years on you. You CAN do this once you stop telling yourself you can't. Keep the gear!

Dan

Comment

It's kinda like my sister's husband said all those years ago - he said, "I can dance like John Travolta on the inside but it just won't come out!"

I'm not sure I could do it anymore if it even mattered. It would take months of practice if I started this very minute.

Comment

It's not too late and you're not too old. I'm 57 and my current band has been going nearly 10 years. Yeah, I don't really like playing till 1am any more, but we do it anyway. Studemax is correct though, gotta keep the butts shakin' on the dance floor if ya want to be back.

Comment

OK WTH?

First the getting old thread and now this? What the hell happened PW?

Every woman knows older men are the BEST...

As for the tuneage...I love your music, you and Sue wrote me a song, I have it on my desktop and play it once in a while! I LOVE IT!

I am actually entering a talent show this weekend at one of our favorite getaway places (it is the 26th anniversary of when Loren and I first saw each other). I will be spinning my baton, yes I did it back in Highschool but tricks are tricks just don't try the hard ones and knock yourself out on stage.

Now man up my friend! Get that gitbucket out and blow the roof off!
                        Last edited by LORENSWIFE; August 31, 2012, 10:15 AM.
                        That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Goddamighy Stude. Lemme cry a little bit willya? And then I'll be okay, and THEN I'll sell the stuff. Maybe. Probably not. I like looking at it and remembering.
                          Easy, big fella. No pressure.
                          Last edited by studemax; August 31, 2012, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Hey Pdub... Dammit... Telling yourself you can't WILL LEAD TO NOT BEING ABLE TO!
                            Wish I could hear myself strum the grandbaby's toy geetar! They tell me I make noise....
                            To me, I'm playinf F'n Cargenie Hall! (spelt wrong no doubt) ...
                            If I could hear them strum awhile they dance....
                            Told my son in law, after he bitched about " noise"... I say, "Be happy you can hear the noise"
                            Play... Good or bad... It don't matter...JUST PLAY!

I always wanted to make a "Track" of healthy motors at idle, part throttle and screaming, and resemble a song.... What sounds good to me, probably make Y'all cringe

Comment

Originally posted by LORENSWIFE View Post
                              OK WTH?

I am actually entering a talent show this weekend at one of our favorite getaway places (it is the 26th anniversary of when Loren and I first saw each other). I will be spinning my baton, yes I did it back in Highschool but tricks are tricks just don't try the hard ones and knock yourself out on stage.
                              You've more than way done it now Gail with a declaration like that on the world wide web. Any sort of a declaration like that on the web is absolutely no good at all without video, Hi-Def preferred. So, we're waiting....

Comment

Working...
                              X