So.. It's been 3 Days and...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So.. It's been 3 Days and...

No ONE! mentions that the NHRA will have a new sponsor next year?

I figured there would be at least one person up in arms about going from FULL THROTTLE to Mello Yello!?

I know Coke has their marketing priorities. but come on! Mello Flippin' Yello as a title sponsor for a series with the fastest accelerating vehicles on the planet? REALLY?

Last edited by Caustic Frog; August 31, 2012, 03:36 PM.
    sigpic

Coke Zero would be just as bad, or Cherry Coke. Can you see the hype about winning the Cherry Coke Nationals. Not to manly sounding.

Comment

If it's yellow .... let it mellow ...... if it's brown ..... flush it down.

It appears that NHRA is getting closer to the circus that NASCRAP has become .... oh well
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

phew...

i just knew it was gonna say " and it still burns when i go..."
        Charles

Comment

that drink is not common, hence ads I presume.

Mello Yello is presumely named after the Donovan song "Mellow Yellow", and in fact, a cover version of the song was used in a commercial when it was first introduced.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I drink Full Throttle cuz I don't bloat like Mt Dew... And all the other stuff is too sweet for a sour old man...

Comment

I didn't run anything on the blog about it because I feel like it is a non-story. At the end of the day it is Coca Cola supporting the NHRA to the tune of several million dollars per year. That's a good thing. It has zero effect on the racing, it changes what the drivers say and what they slug down at the end of the strip on TV, and that's about it.

I think if there is any "story" to this, it is that Coke made this move for a reason and in my opinion, they did this because their extensive marketing research showed them that the NHRA demo is way outside of what they're looking for in the energy drink category. I have read some stuff that Coke Mello Yello a "nostalgia" type brand. That's a big deal and in a bad way for NHRA drag racing. Know who you market nostalgia stuff too? (for the most part) Old people (relatively speaking). If anything, this signals the first clear warning that the NHRA fan base is graying significantly. Yes, good business more for Coke but long term bad news for NHRA which has proven themselves less than great at branching out into new audiences (Sport Compact series...dead.....NHRA Unleashed....dead).

At the end of the day, my final thought is....meh.
              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
                I have read some stuff that Coke Mello Yello a "nostalgia" type brand. That's a big deal and in a bad way for NHRA drag racing. Know who you market nostalgia stuff too? (for the most part) Old people (relatively speaking). If anything, this signals the first clear warning that the NHRA fan base is graying significantly. Yes, good business more for Coke but long term bad news for NHRA which has proven themselves less than great at branching out into new audiences (Sport Compact series...dead.....NHRA Unleashed....dead).
                Interesting interpretation. Can't say I disagree with the assessment.
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I used to work for Coca Cola - and Mellow Yellow was one of the hated brands by the employees because all it did was sit on the shelf and rot. However, I do like the parallels between the MY brand and NHRA, both are desparate to reach a wider audience; but too hardheaded to do something relevant.
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

i like mello yello, it looks the same going in as it does coming out
                    Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

What's NHRA?

Kidding... bud seriously, i haven't watched a race in years. For whatever reason it doesn't really appeal to me to watch it on tv.

Comment

Just be happy it isnt Tampax or Summers Eve sponsoring next year.

Comment

At the end of the day it is Coca Cola supporting the NHRA to the tune of several million dollars per year. That's a good thing.
                          On the money, Brian. Some of us remember the Coca-Cola Cavalcade of Stars drag racing events every summer, and since Coke has been with the NHRA for quite some time (PowerAde was Coke money, too), I say bring it on. Long as they don't call it the Donkey Piss Nationals we'll be OK.
                          Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

When I see Mello Yellow all I think of is "Days of Thunder". :-/

The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Working...
                            X