Identify this slime?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identify this slime?

my paper element fuel filters were killing themselves...went and got a brass sintered and a plastic screen version to replace them. Anybody know what in fuel does this? rust don't float BTW. I drained the little filters into this mud puddle. The problem stopped with non-organic filters.

upon cleaning the brass filter that was at the other end of fuel system near carb, getting pummeled with this stuff (the tank end still had a paper element). it turned to powder in water, then disappeared. That same brass filter is back in use today...was not the problem after all. it was the orange colored paper elements...and whatever did that to them.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 2, 2012, 02:43 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

That's ugly!

Comment

Looks like rusty ass water from their tanks. That would be either rusty-ass water or rusty ass-water. Either way, stop buying your gas there. Somebody may have a busted tank and ground water is getting in.
      Last edited by Beagle; September 2, 2012, 03:18 PM.
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
        Looks like rusty ass water from their tanks. That would be either rusty-ass water or rusty ass-water. Either way, stop buying your gas there. Somebody may have a busted tank and ground water is getting in.
        I dumped contents of filter in a puddle.

this stuff even has a powerful odor..it was living once upon a time...and worships paper elements. A bit of alcohol odor with it. definitely a once living thing. alcohol was its waste.

maybe it is a maine thing. anyhting but arctica below the tank. This coincidentally is going along with a problem my dads rig was having. ended up blowing a turbo gasket.

keep steel good, another battle ensues. tha tank in use is very high grade, could not wait to use it. at the perfect rate its going 100 years may be possible. from dead emty for five years, the fuel had bubble of grey..the orange must have been little friends in an empty tank, sitting on the ground. it did get way below zero at times. Will count on cleaning the brass sintered filter, that one captures and does not let go..but for now, nothing is happening. "it" wanted the paper elements.
        Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 2, 2012, 03:32 PM.
        Previously boxer3main

Comment

huh. Maybe it was eating the paper. I can't see paper having much nutritional value. I've seen green junk in diesel tanks that was like mold and it would jack up everything. Very difficult to try to get rid of. I think the correct answer was to change the tanks.
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
            huh. Maybe it was eating the paper. I can't see paper having much nutritional value. I've seen green junk in diesel tanks that was like mold and it would jack up everything. Very difficult to try to get rid of. I think the correct answer was to change the tanks.
            yes no doubt.
            the engine oil filtering even had a spell, I found paper elements are no good. I then had to go about adding a relief on my own to a billet stainles smesh version..gm has a nice version of a valve that fit.

maybe miles is not the trouble of longevity...
            Stalactites of iron hanging off a manifold is one thing, but the organic munchers, that is battle. changing filters was instant..glass is perfectly clear. I could guess no longer a problem. Another oddity is acrylics and my setup. hates acrylic. I am second guessing the new filter for that one reason. outside is all glass and steel..but that plastic mesh, I hope its hdpe or something. must be good to act as screen and be worthwhile.
            Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 2, 2012, 04:16 PM.
            Previously boxer3main

Comment

Find another gas station.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Looks similar to the algae that we found in Trucks tank - but I don't think it'll grow in gasoline. Maybe there's a similar organism that'll grow in gas? Or maybe rusty gas/water. Either way, change fuel vendors!

Dan

Comment

Working...
                X