metallurgy and machining education

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• metallurgy and machining education

Anyone have a path to this type of education?

what did you do to be making things correctly,with the right stuff?

my altered path has me at 40 yrs old...the natural one has never been satisfied.
    I am still curious to a typical route.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 2, 2012, 05:37 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Started out in a machine shop years ago and learned as much as I could from the old guys.
    The basics count. Period.
    Doesn't matter what new stuff you learn, if you don't have old school values in the shop - it's for nothing.
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

I have a friend with a bachelor's in destructive testing (a sub-specialty of mechanical engineering). Then he got to blow stuff up and/or break stuff for a living. Lots of metallurgy in his studies. But he worked 10 years in a machine shop before going back to school. He said that the two "schools" were at least equivalent, or maybe the machine shop work counted much more.

Dan
      Last edited by DanStokes; September 2, 2012, 09:30 PM.

Comment

I seem to find that as well..
        most machinists come from machinists.

I hound you tube for guys in their shops going over details of what they are doing. Drives me a little more..
        where to go officially.

mechanical engineering, then metallurgy
        Previously boxer3main

Comment

When I was training to be a machinist, one of the several classes required was metallurgy..
          Pretty much have to know what you are machining and how it reacts to various machining practices...

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
            When I was training to be a machinist, one of the several classes required was metallurgy..
            Pretty much have to know what you are machining and how it reacts to various machining practices...
            it seems that is the silent part of genius.

the older I am getting, remembering the pace as a kid keeping the crap we were given runnable...
            I could not even imagine some of the old school home made welding machine hackers would be in the world of machining if formal education happened.

every variant of stress locally. never to focus on anything. I got forced into the wrong path.. I hope there is more machinists. it does not seem to be a talked path of education. shamefully.
            Previously boxer3main

Comment

One of the top machinists at my last employer didn't go into the line of work until his forties, he had been a car salesman, insurance adjuster and other odd jobs. I met him a year or so ago when he introduced me to some particular tasks on Delta rocket parts (and presumably he trained the next guy, after I left). He was given a lot of responsibilty and I think he found it a gratifying job. However, when you start a new type career in the middle of life, you'd better be ready to get some crap wages and be answering to guys with a lot less years and general life experience than yourself. Old-guy wisdom and independent study such as books and night school will catch you up, but there's alot of "tribal" knoweledge in the machine trades that you have to be there doing it, to get.
              Last edited by Loren; September 3, 2012, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Like don't stop drilling if you're poking a hole thru SS. If you let up it'll instantly work harden and will be a SOB to finish the hole. Be sure to have your can of lube and a sharp bit before you start.

I mention this because it's one of those tribal knowledge things that Loren mentioned and it's not in the book.

Comment

Like don't stop drilling if you're poking a hole thru SS. If you let up it'll instantly work harden and will be a SOB to finish the hole. Be sure to have your can of lube and a sharp bit before you start.

I mention this because it's one of those tribal knowledge things that Loren mentioned and it's not in the book.
                  Titanium is worse.
                  The rule was... get a sharp drill, stab it in and rip it out.

Waspalloy and Inconel are even trickier.
                  For instance, it is almost impossible to deburr Inconel - you basically keep bending the burr back and forth until the metal fatigues and it breaks off.
                  Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Working...
                  X