learning stuff...new frontiers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• learning stuff...new frontiers

Well, those that know me know I am an automotive hack and an accomplished jet engine technician. I have worked on helicopters, airplanes and beater cars since the age of 18. The bulk of my aircraft knowledge is on engines and propellers but I have done electrical, hydraulic and airframe work too. I have done all sorts of stuff on cars but have never rebuilt a trans, engine or rear end, although I am sure I can make it work if the time comes..

That being said, I ain't never...NEVER worked on a murdercicle...never. until the wife got one. They were a mystery to me. So, she has been saving her nickles and dimes and has purchased some do-dads and what nots for her little sporty.

Thus far I have done the following, handle bars, control covers, exhaust, tune, custom rearview mirrors with turn signal intergration, LED tail light, and front signal relocation.

It has taken me 2 months to compleat the damn handle bars. Just finished them up today. It is mind blowing how many little gremlins can pop up on a bike whe you replace the bars and splice into electrical harnesses. I have had code after code pop up and have traced and fixed each one.but the biggest most elusive one was a clutch swith short. The bike would only start in neutral and a check engine light comes on. So, I read, and read, and searched. Ths code is only triggered by a clutch switch. I found a botched shrink wrap, fixed it. I found a crashed wire in the controll case, fixed it...still kept getting the light. But because I had done research I knew where to look. I found that for some reson the switch itself was slightly askew in the controll case. I tweaked it and now mamma is out for a shrot ride. I ran into some other issues both mechanical and electrical as well and was able to hunt them down and fix them.

So now I am done...for now. I am both happy to be done with the damn thing but also proud of the fact that even though I never worked on a bike, I made it happen. I am a little upset that it took so long but with all the wire shooting and such I learned so much valuable info about motorcycles in general I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

Anyway, thanks for listening...I needed to share that with folks who get it.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

EXCELLENT Joe! That's how we learn this stuff. And cool that your sweetie has fun with this. Here's hoping she wears appropriate safety gear. My daughter and her hubby were in a crash last year on their BMW and came out OK because Mike INSISTS on helmets, leathers, etc. Liking Mike more all the time. The bike was totaled so it was a decent crash.

Dan

Comment

Always good to take on new challenges, it keeps the mind exercised and keeps you growing. It can be damn humbling while you're figuring things out though! Keep kicking ass Joe.
      I'm probably wrong

Comment

Fun stuff!

My wife fixed the dishwasher while I was in Tucson last week.....
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

after a bike, a car seems forgiving.
          electrical has the pressures in a precise tiny framing. A ground is what? hardly anything.
          everything working on a bike is a mastered job.

no zaps on the hands and legs, its a win.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

This gives me the heebie-jeebies thinking about H-D's quality-control in the wiring dept.

Joe, having completed this, you are probably more qualified than many H-D dealer techs... And probably way more persistent.
            Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Originally posted by Caveman Tony View Post
              This gives me the heebie-jeebies thinking about H-D's quality-control in the wiring dept.

Joe, having completed this, you are probably more qualified than many H-D dealer techs... And probably way more persistent.
              I would love to say that it was HD that effed up the wires, but sadly it was me. I crushed one wire putting on the controll covers and when I soldered in the wire extensions I put the wrong sized shrink wrap on. the shrink wrap slid down when I taped everything up and was shorting itself out. Hind sight it always 20/20 and if I had to do this job again it would not take me very long at all. although, my soldering skills are pretty damn good, I went over all of them, nice and tight, clean and no resistance spike when I ohmed them out. I am not skilled at adjusting a clutch....valuable tools if I ever get to a point where I can build my own bike. Now I need to tear apart that EVO to see how it works (insert evil laugh here)
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I make it a point to never learn anything new, to not try something I dont already know, so I end up paying someone else to do it all for me....

Yeah right. That isnt how you are, or any of us on here. Hell, I think Peewee will take the time to figure it out and learn rather than take Red to the dealer. It sounds like you working on the HD is not unlike me working on the Honda, except I absolutely LOATHE Honda cars. Isnt it a requirement that senior NCOs have to know how to do the impossible with nothing faster than anyone who ever lived? Or do they just expect that from SSgts?

Comment

my wife was a but miffed that it took so long. It took me a while to explain how I dont want to have to rely on a a garsge at 80 bucks an hour to do work. After the "Great Chevy Dealer Debacle of 98" and the "Great Dodge Dealer Disappointment of 01" I swore off all garages unless it is warranty work. I told her it may take a little longer because I am learning as I go, the time may be an issue now, but in the long run I am saving time and money. She got it and is happy that it is all sorted out now.

I learned a lot about installing handle bars, but mostly its procedural info...

I do know that my electrical skills are better than I gave myself credit for.

I learned the importance of owning a shop manual.

I know that I need to invest in a good set of allen wrenches, allen sockets and a torque wrench.

I learned about trouble codes, fuel delivery, wire routing, the value of loc-tite on a HD, better soldering techniques, wire wrapping techniques, got some practice with easy outs, thread tapping...

it was fun, much like working on planes used to be many moons ago.

Comment

What I learned from hearing about it, is that there's just too much electronic crap on modern motorcycles....
                    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                      What I learned from hearing about it, is that there's just too much electronic crap on modern motorcycles....
                      YA THINK!! dang! I remember, carb, fuel shut-off, headlight switch, horn button, and dimmer switch.. No starter button!

Now... Cruise, EFI, starter, self cancelling signals, trip meter, mpg, music.......I'm lost!

Love the KISS principle.. But will go electric start..

Comment

it is really like 10lbs of shit in a 5lb bag. the wiring is very simple, color coded..but with EFI and O2 sensors and a ECU...its gets a bit crazy. If and when I get one I want a carb'd bike...simply for the simplicity.

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                          it is really like 10lbs of shit in a 5lb bag. the wiring is very simple, color coded..but with EFI and O2 sensors and a ECU...its gets a bit crazy. If and when I get one I want a carb'd bike...simply for the simplicity.
                          That would be a smart move!
                          The carbed sporty needs choke fiddled with while cold..
                          The Dyna EFI...just hit the starter button and go...
                          Sporty is quicker
                          Dyna is faster
                          Both ride about the same..Sporty been lowered (why?.. Don't know) thus it bottoms relatively easy no matter who rides..180# son or 300+# me..
                          I like wind screen, son likes bare bikes..
                          You need one so you can ride with your better half!

Comment

her bike is sharp.... less all the girly frilly crap, 1200C, lowered, mini apes, solo seat, V&H short shots with a DynoJet tune. Sure sounds sweet. I want a softail, I used to want a wide glide but the more I look, the more I like the softail. I really want just a plain standard, not a heratage or king ect. ect. I like the night trains, but they are expensive and the Deuce is my favorite but I can pick up a new bike for the cost of a 10yr old Deuce. Sooner or later when I get my finances squared away I'll get one. I jsut need to keep going on my current budget, pay day to pay day is getting old...seems I may have everything squared away now so...maybe in a year or two.

Comment

mastering the basics of electrical systems means you're ready to do EFI, even if you don't really want to :-) Good work!
                              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Working...
                              X