Billy Gibbons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
    Petty puts on a kick ass show. ZZ Top does OK. Seen them both twice.

And I am sure Gibbons would tell anyone who calls him the "king of *whatever guitar terminology*" that they should really do a little more listening as there are guitarists in the Red Dirt scene down there that can play circles around him.
    I don't know Gibbons personality that well - if he would say that, then that's just one more notch of respect I have for him. The great ones who are also humble = awesome.

Jimi Hendrix said that Billy Gibbons would be the next hottest guitarist, on a tv interview (possibly the Tonight Show- that's what wiki says, but I have also heard that it was the Ed Sullivan show). That's a pretty good endorsement to have on your resume.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post

And I am sure Gibbons would tell anyone who calls him the "king of *whatever guitar terminology*" that they should really do a little more listening as there are guitarists in the Red Dirt scene down there that can play circles around him.
      Saw ZZ Topp once when I was a teenager, and they were having such grand technical problems that I actually walked out of the show. Probably best for my future because Jack Daniels bottles (glass ones) were flying through the air and the reefer smoke was so thick you couldn't see the stage anyway. Man, was that back the the day before rules of public behavior.

Technical problems such that they'd start into a song and just stop when the feedback go so bad. But they did manage to do LaGrange, the theme song when I was in high school. That's when I realized, that song is multi-tracked. You don't have a rhythm guitarist if there's only three guys. A three piece can't pull that one off, not the sound on the recording.

BUT if there's players in the Red Dirt scene who can play any better than Gibbons, they must have not done so well with it, because I'll sure as forever know who Billy Gibbons is, and I don't even know what the Red Dirt scene is.

Just sayin'
      Last edited by pdub; September 5, 2012, 04:51 PM.
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Yeah... about the hat. He's an icon; A living legend, if you will. He's not wearing it because it's "in style" or because he hopes you all like it. He wears it for his own reasons. It's because of people like him who wear "strange" things, that styles and fads come to be.

Comment

Jimi Hendrix said that Billy Gibbons would be the next hottest guitarist, on a tv interview (possibly the Tonight Show- that's what wiki says, but I have also heard that it was the Ed Sullivan show).
          It was the Mike Douglas Show.
          And Gibbons is better than Hendrix.
          Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

I've seen Billy at a few car shows around LA. A couple of times he was with a limo driver, same guy both times. Once at the roadster show and once at Bob's Big Boy. Both times the limo driver looked completely out of his element, besides wearing a black suit and tie in crowd of khaki shorts and T shirts. He didn't seem to know a thing about cars even though at the Roadster Show Billy was trying to explain things.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I LOVE ZZ Top and have great respect for Billy Gibbons - but he's FAR from the greatest guitarist out of Texas. Let's start with Stevie Ray. What Billy is excellent at is laying down his own backing tracks then playing over them. The old technology was the Echoplex but I'll leave it to Scott to tell us what the current tech is. If you watch him on stage you'll see him lay down chords and step on a button, then proceed to play lead. He truly is a master at that, and it's no small feat.

I also love his song writing. As a blues fan, I'm especially fond of "Jesus Just Left Chicago" which I think few understand is a hymn. He IS the Reverend Willy G, you know.

Dan
              Last edited by DanStokes; September 6, 2012, 06:08 AM.

Comment

I'm a big fan of both.........I always thought they both had different styles.
                Billy would never do good at eating soup.
                His beard would soak most of it up.
                Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Seen them twice and loved it. I wish they would remaster and release some of the earlier stuff. As far as retiring; I'm sure when they stop getting paid, they'll know when to quit.

Comment

Billy would never do good at eating soup. His beard would soak most of it up.
                    No, no... see - he combs his beard out once a week, and makes soup from that.
                    Last edited by studemax; September 6, 2012, 08:49 AM.
                    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
                      No, no... see - he combs his beard out once a week, and makes soup from that.
                      Aaaaaannd THERE'S the post that made me puke in my mouth a little.
                      STUGOTS

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo Regal View Post
                        I'm sure when they stop getting paid, they'll know when to quit.
                        They just got paid today and got a pocket full of change....
                        Time Wasters...
                        http://public.fotki.com/JoeGrippo/
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/joe_grippo/sets/
                        http://www.youtube.com/user/JoeGrippo?feature=mhum

Comment

Originally posted by groucho View Post
                          Aaaaaannd THERE'S the post that made me puke in my mouth a little.
                          eeewwwww.....
                          That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Originally posted by yellomalibu View Post
                            Yeah... about the hat. He's an icon; A living legend, if you will. He's not wearing it because it's "in style" or because he hopes you all like it. He wears it for his own reasons. It's because of people like him who wear "strange" things, that styles and fads come to be.
                            The hat has a cool back story, I hate the hat but it's a cool story.
                            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                              The hat has a cool back story, I hate the hat but it's a cool story.
                              It doesn't mean wear it for 20 years. Kinda like wearing the same underwear for TWENTY years......oh but there's a very cool story that goes with these nasty drawers. LMAO
                              STUGOTS

Comment

my buddy anthony was at the zz top show at the beacon theater last week -72nd and broadway NYC

whoops there it is

Comment

Working...
                                X