X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 85mph highway in texas

Maybe other places will follow suit..

85mph highway

my tin can started driving when 65 was set in place, today it is at 75...

90mph nominal on 1781cc? yeah. Some roads can be faster indeed.

I'd be wanting to fly across rural texas too.

may we all get the freedom of this 180mph video :

just imagine ten to twelve of these in a row.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 6, 2012, 05:55 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

cant wait for the youtube videos of people posting how fast they did the drive between the two cities, im sure we'll see cars in the triple digits
    Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Originally posted by BOOOGHAR View Post
      cant wait for the youtube videos of people posting how fast they did the drive between the two cities, im sure we'll see cars in the triple digits
      15 over. why not.
      pushing those boundaries end up statistics...and then speed limits change.

the stampeded places keep it down for everybody. No need of that.
      can be very dynamical. my own locale has a 40 blinking sign in bad weathers, back to 70s when normal.
      they could do that anywhere.. like the yellow blinking light late at night, a functioning redlight during the day.

in due time I guess. really glad to see fast highway.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Mash the gas, Tex!! Yeeehhaawww!!!
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

The thing is, wenever you raise the bar, you soon get used to the bar. I remember the days of the 55 mph speed limit, 65 felt fast. Then when it was raised back up to 65, 75 felt fast. Now the flow of traffic on the 405 is 80 mph, and it feels normal. Pretty soon 85 won't seem so special and people will be pushing 90-100. I wouldn't be a problem if we taught people how to drive, but we don't. They pay 35 dollars, take a lame written test and hit the road. Pretty scary.
          Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary 351C View Post
            It wouldn't be a problem if we taught people how to drive, but we don't.

"It wouldn't be a problem if we could teach stupid people how to drive, but we just can't."

There... Fixed it for ya.
            www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Someday, a state legislature might finally figure out that building an "American Autobahn" would be a great boost to tourism and revenue. This 85 m.p.h. toll road is a small start.

One-size-fits-all speed regulation is stupid. We are "dumbing down" our traffic system to the lowest common denominator (unskilled, text-messaging and distracted "drivers" (i.e. mere passengers with a couple of fingers sometimes touching the steering wheel), ill-handling, poorly-maintained "hoopties," oversized swaying motorhomes, and overloaded trucks). This "one size" approach unfairly penalizes those who invest in high-performance vehicles and proper high-speed driver training)

What we really need is a graduated licensing system for both cars and drivers with "superlicenses" available for speed-rated vehicles and speed-trained drivers.

Comment

^ That would be really cool if it worked but on the highway speed diffrentral can be more dangerious than high speed. Car A is traveling at 120 mph, Car B 70 mph, Car C 65 mph. Car B pulls in to the left lane to pass Car C cutting off Car A that was not there last time they looked in the mirrow 2 miles ago.
                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

It also frosts my cookies that this new highway is NOT in NC!

Listen to Russell - he knows about roads and stuff.

Dan

Comment

What's the big deal, I drive 85 on the interstates already and I don't have to pay to drive on them.......

And as a smart driver when you come up on slower traffic, you slow down until passing them safely, then return to comfort zone speed.......

Comment

The thing about pushing the 85 15over is they site Felony speeding at all speeds over 80.
                      We've had 80 mph in west Texas for about 8 years now.

The biggest problem with state route 130 is it's a toll road and the toll is 12.5 cents per mile,and it's still patroled by the DPS. If it wasn't patroled I'm sure some of my fellow Texans would be cruising 130-150 mph....

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                        It also frosts my cookies that this new highway is NOT in NC!

Dan
                        Dan, isn't there a stretch of I-85 between Raleigh and Greensboro where the limit is 80? Or maybe I'm remembering wrong...
                        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Far as I know the highest posting in NC is 70 mph
                          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                            Far as I know the highest posting in NC is 70 mph
                            Maybe it wasn't I-85, but maybe the road that breaks off of I-85 and goes into Raleigh....I may be having senior moments but I can vividly remember (true or not) that 80 mph sign and going Whoo-hoo! for about ten or fifteen miles....hmmmmm...and that was....woulda been in the 1990's, early-to mid. Made the round trip 3 times.

Now I'll have to research it instead of sittin' here doing nothing.

EDIT: I can't find a history of it being any more than 70. Well, I can't find a history at all. I guess I dreamed that three times!
                            Last edited by pdub; September 7, 2012, 01:34 PM.
                            Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Nobody says you weren't GOING 80....

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X