Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lucky driver....almost got balled.. Trailer balled..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lucky driver....almost got balled.. Trailer balled..

TACOMA, Wash. -- Troopers say a truck driver suffered only scrapes and cuts when a trailer hitch smashed through his windshield Tuesday morning on Interstate 5.

Washington State Patrol Trooper Guy Gill said 37-year-old Puyallup driver Paul Shatzley was southbound near "L" Street when the hitch came crashing into his dump truck.

"This could have killed me if I wasn't paying attention," Shatzley said. "It probably weighs 35 pounds."

Shatzley has driven trucks for 20 years but it was his first day on a new job when his routine ride turned terrifying.

"I knew it was going to be a factor when I seen it coming to the truck," he said. "Didn't know if it would hit the roof or the windshield."

He spotted a trailer hitch ball fall from one truck and roll under another on I-5.

"And then went up about 40 feet above my truck windshield and through the windshield of my truck and hit me on the side of the head," he said. "I had seconds to move to the right before I got hit."

The hitch receiver nicked the top of Shatzley's head.

"It caught the side of my head and the side of my face when it went through," he said.

It left him sore, bruised, and with four stitches. But incredibly he's alive to show his wounds.

"The doctor even said if it hit me in the face it would have killed me," Shatzley said.

Shatzley says his close call should serve as a reminder -- if you're leaving a trailer hitch in, put the pin through it. If you're hauling a load don't take any chances.

"People need to tie their stuff down," he said.

I read that article almost immediately after a dump truck almost hit me (him not paying attention) - so my first thought was "poor aim" then "I am so going to hell"
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; September 12, 2012, 06:56 AM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I've seen too many ball mount issues for my tastes.

My friends think I'm paranoid, but I won't caravan with them unless I modify their balls first. I take the ball mount with (ball mounted) and drill through the nut AND ball bolt (with it tightened) with a 3/16 drill. Then I run a 3/16 machine screw through with a nylock nut on the other end.

The theory is the nut can come loose, but the ball cannot come off. I'd rather see a loose ball than a wild trailer anyday. I know the chains are supposed to prevent this, BUT............

Of course this wouldn't have helped in this case. You can't prevent stupid. Lucky driver indeed, sounds like he has quick reactions.
      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I tack weld my nut to the reciever... Need a different ball?..no prob.. Change recievers for one with the right sized ball tacked to it...

The article was someone forgot to put their pin in...
        Last edited by Deaf Bob; September 12, 2012, 08:07 AM.

Comment

the way I read that, I thought there was simply a ball from a hitch rolling around loose in the bed that bounced out. If it was the ball and receiver, that'd be quite an amazing bounce (although, IMO, unlikely)

Comment

[/PHP]
            Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
            the way I read that, I thought there was simply a ball from a hitch rolling around loose in the bed that bounced out. If it was the ball and receiver, that'd be quite an amazing bounce (although, IMO, unlikely)
            " trailer hitch". " weigh 35 pounds"

I have a solid square reciever for load levelers that weighs that.... Have to be a pretty big ball to weigh 35 lbs..
            Like you, i am having a hard time wrapping my head around 35 lbs flying that high.. The pic that showed the reciever that did not show up was a hollow drop one... That no way weighs 35 pounds ... You know the news, all flash and exaggeration...
            (sent you the KATU news link... Surprised your local news didn't cover it? Tacoma)
            Last edited by Deaf Bob; September 12, 2012, 08:34 AM.

Comment

dang, I saw that link - you're right, it was the entire receiver... that's amazing that it could get such a bounce.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                dang, I saw that link - you're right, it was the entire receiver... that's amazing that it could get such a bounce.
                2 problems.. 35#?? Really? Bounce? More likely got ran over by another truck and flew..

Comment

>
                  Here's the link... Hope it works

Comment

was having a hard time picturing what they were talking about...that pic cleared it up...damn, that was a helluva bounce...karma coming back for blown retreads?
                    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I tow a small trailer a lot. As soon as I'm done, that pintle comes out!
                      Tom
                      Overdrive is overrated

Comment

My apologies... Pics were supposed to be with the story... Guess I need "iPads for Dummies"

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                          2 problems.. 35#?? Really? Bounce? More likely got ran over by another truck and flew..
                          a 35# brick without wings flew? ummm, I'm a bit rusty on my Newton, but I'm not sure that's possible. It fell off one truck, bounced up to the of the floorboard of the following truck and got thrown up - that I'd believe. Still that cab is a long ways off the ground and the hitch nearly cleared the cab

Comment

I wish the general public had an understanding of the nomenclature of towing implements... or at least people who write reports about them.

Comment

Working...
                            X