EFI Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EFI Thread

Ok I think I am definately going to go with sumping the fuel tank in the Skylark, my question is does anyone see a problem with just running the pick up from the sump and using the existing 3/8" fuel line as the return? Does the return line have to be smaller than the feed or is it just good practice? I may even go with 1/2" feed to never have to touch the fuel system again other than fuel pump upgrades.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

typically we run 3/8 for the pressure side and the return. the return side isnt under pressure but there is some velocity to it. when mounting a return line you want to generally make sure it is away from your pick up (you dont want to be dumping airiated fuel right over your pick up). what i have done on a few cars is actually weld a "AN" fitting (like a bulk head fitting) into the filler neck about 3/4 of the ways down and ran the return line right there. it seems to work out really good.

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
        General EFI tech question.
        For a high pressure EFI system conversion is absolutely required to baffle the tank or is it possible to run an external pump on a stock tank? Question being generated by the new 70 GMC Suburban the Fiance' says is cool that I found locally and the desire to make everything EFI.

Thanks,

you can run an external pump without any problems, one thing to keep in mind is to mount the external pump as low as you can. i typically go even with the bottom of the tank. i have burned up a couple of pumps by mounting them higher so i make this good practice.

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedJunkee
          I have a friend that has a early 90's mustang still fuel injected but it has a raditcal cam in it. When it first starts it searches for an idle, my question is, does the ECM need to be flashed for that cam or does he need to replace a chip with one that has already been flash for his specs???
          it would be best for him to get ahold of someone who does custom chips (sometimes a bit pricey) give that person all the specs including cam this is the important part. the cam specs you need to give is al 50 thousanths no one cars about advertised because that wont help the chip guy, along with lobe separation and centerline.

Comment

Thanks for the replys. The Filler neck is the route I'm going with the T-bird. The Skylark with a sump would make the return feed near the pick up but six or so inches away, I could bend the original pick up (new return) line to be much further.
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
              Thanks for the replys. The Filler neck is the route I'm going with the T-bird. The Skylark with a sump would make the return feed near the pick up but six or so inches away, I could bend the original pick up (new return) line to be much further.
              if thats what your going to do then just point the line away from the pickup.

Comment

Think a 3/8in feed and a 1/4in return is enough for a maybe 200hp NA V6?
                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

you should be fine aslong as you make sure your return is pointed away from your pickup.

Comment

Its a GM Factory EFI tank out of a 96 Impala SS, I really don't have much control over that.
                    Central TEXAS Sleeper
                    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

• Re: EFI Thread

yes you do.

if everything is on the little removable plate then you can control it. come on think about it.

Comment

Working...
                      X