The $6k wonderlust.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The $6k wonderlust.

So, Mel called me, family Friend is selling her late father's 2000 lightning with the 5.4 blower motor. She is telling us, the engine has had some stuff done to it, and has 60k on the engine.
    I don't know the truck's milage but wondering if it fires the plugs.

As much as I want this truck, unless I could sell off my '79 highboy, not going to happen right now.

She is just trying to settle her dad's estate at this point.

Blue book shows $6k-$8500 depending on condition.

Going to go look it over anyways on monday, figured any bang shifters that want a fun truck, help birddog it for our friend if nothing else.

I told Mel this would be the perfect perscription for fun. Take one lightning, and perscribe a pair of rear tires, 4 times a month.

Having issues trying to upload the picture of it.

Bob, where ya at Bob. You know you need a red to clash with your Blue bolt...
    Andrew
    1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
    2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

i kick myself years ago for letting a first gen lightning truck slip thru my fingers, a friend of mine sold it after he had a very minor wreck in it (needed a wheel and front fender) custom 2 tone paint, custom interior, mega sound system all alpine, lowered 4-6, 17'' billet specialty wheels, few engine mods, sold it after being parked for a year while in college, he let it go for $3,500
    Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

2000's were slightly less HP then the 2001-2004. That motor will chuck plugs unless inserts were put in. They didn't change the heads until 2003. Nonetheless, still a fun truck. Get it. I know where you can get a kickass Magnaflow exhaust for it pretty cheap!
      I R Bob
      You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
      2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

sounds like a good deal
        COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

Originally posted by BluLightning View Post
          2000's were slightly less HP then the 2001-2004. That motor will chuck plugs unless inserts were put in. They didn't change the heads until 2003. Nonetheless, still a fun truck. Get it. I know where you can get a kickass Magnaflow exhaust for it pretty cheap!
          360 v 380 hp, 440 v 450 torque. Should have been in the tune and intercooler was a bit larger. There was a recall on the 2000 to update it to the newer IC, make sure that was done. I don't think they will honor it any more, but the 2k's were leaking a little antifreeze and it hurt performance so Ford put the 2001 IC's in them. I never had a problem with plugs but heard plenty of stories. There were quite a few of them that had problems with fuel pump / going lean which ... say it together children... is a very bad thing for a supercharged anything. Mine tossed a lean left bank code several different times and became bbq fuel for a fire before I figured out what was causing it.

250 apiece for tires last I checked, rears will make about 12k. Don't drink an drive, the cops still like them. They still sell for 11k up here, 8500 will get one with about 150k miles on it. If you can get a 60k mile one for 6k, jump on it!! For a two ton truck, you will shit yourself at how well it goes, turns, and stops.
          Last edited by Beagle; September 14, 2012, 07:14 PM.
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

whoa whoa whoa.... 6k1?

....how far is NE from NY?
            Local person
            sigpic

Comment

and even then the extra threads in the heads does not do much still put in a lot of inserts in 03+ vehicles when i worked at ford. they where better though but not much
              Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
              Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

250 apiece for tires last I checked, rears will make about 12k
                Ha! I never had a set go anywhere near that long!

I R Bob
                2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

As much as I wanted to, I had to pass on it.
                  Sounds like the girl has a buyer lined up for it though.

She was telling us that truck scares her completely...she took it out, and not used to driving something with that much power...she was always used to econocrapboxes from Korea...LOL...she was like I about damn near got a speeding ticket in it.
                  I was like did you at least smoke the tires...and she was like HELL YEAH, for my pops.
                  Andrew
                  1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
                  2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

Nice! Found a couple boxes on the porch when I got home with some new toys for Blu.
                    I R Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                      360 v 380 hp, 440 v 450 torque. Should have been in the tune and intercooler was a bit larger.
                      Interesting that my Duramax has 360hp and 650ft-lbs from the factory, then add the programmer and I have 500hp and 900ft-lbs, kind of makes those Lightnings seem kind of slow........

Diesels aren't what they used to be........

Comment

there really is a blue book on a 2000 beat on blown truck ? not a valid one at trade in

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                          Interesting that my Duramax has 360hp and 650ft-lbs from the factory, then add the programmer and I have 500hp and 900ft-lbs, kind of makes those Lightnings seem kind of slow........

they still stank

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post

I'll take my slow Lightning vs. your tubbed Camaro! At this point we'd have to push both but I bet mine's running before your's is!
                            I R Bob

Comment

I'll take my slow Lightning vs. your tubbed Camaro! At this point we'd have to push both but I bet mine's running before your's is!
                              I'm sure you'll be done before I will, but in about 3 weeks, it's on for me, this Saturday I'll be pouring concrete, then the Saturday after that I'll be installing my lift and the week after that my '99 Camaro will be on it to do the head and cam swap, then the '71 GMC comes next, then it'll be the '71 Camaro, with the Monte at the end..... I have all the cars I want, now it is time to start finishing them..... or at least get them to a point that I can drive them again......

Comment

Working...
                              X