Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cost to run a Volt... Ignore the "O" word...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost to run a Volt... Ignore the "O" word...

Costs to operate a Chevy Volt IF YOU WANT THE WRONG INFO...READ ON..
    #
    Eric Bolling (Fox Business Channel's Follow the Money) test drove the Chevy Volt at the invitation of General Motors.
    ##
    For four days in a row, the fully charged battery lasted only 25 miles before the Volt switched to the reserve gasoline engine.
    Eric calculated the car got 30 mpg including the 25 miles it ran on the battery. So, the range including the 9 gallon gas tank and the 16 kwh batery is approximately 270 miles. It will take you 4 1/2 hours to drive 270 miles at 60 mph. Then add 10 hours to charge the battery and you have a total trip time of 14.5 hours. In a typical road trip your average speed (including charging time) would be 20 mph.
    ##
    According to General Motors, the Volt battery hold 16 kwh of electricity. It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained battery.
    ##
    The cost for the electricity to charge the Volt is never mentioned so I looked up what I pay for electricity.
    ##
    I pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons) $1.16 per kwh.
    ##
    16 kwh x $1.16 per kwh = $18.56 to charge the battery.
    ##
    $18.56 per charge divided by 25 miles = $0.74 per mile to operate the Volt using the battery.
    ##
    Compare this to a similar size car with a gasoline engine only that gets 32 mpg.
    ##
    $3.19 per gallon divided by 32 mpg = $0.10 per mile.
    ##
    The gasoline powered car cost about $15,000 while the Volt costs $46,000.
    ##
    So Obama wants us to pay 3 times as much for a car that costs more that 7 time as much to run and takes 3 times as long to drive across country.
    ##
    REALLY?
    Last edited by Deaf Bob; September 14, 2012, 02:33 PM.

that is all sad.

remember the 40+ mpg cars? 70s, 80s. the chevette 1 barrel was so small, it won't even run today.

the all gas versons of rolling science experiments sucking at their own exhaust.
    it is to say politics has a budget, and no mind of reality to feed the fairy tale.

to this day, my 87 subaru repeats a sunstorm in the upper intake if I let it.

that is subatomic shredding.

higher than 30 mpg in 2500 pounds? there is a danger.

I keep at low 30s mpg, it still gets it way higher on the big road, nominal throttle.

I am going back to mid 20s mpg nd a 4k pound sedan sometime. the most common sense resides there.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 14, 2012, 01:14 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

hydrostatic drive is where its at
      Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

I guess he didn't understand that the Volt is supposed to be a commuter car? Most commutes are less than 25 miles....do the math over, see what happens.'

I pay about $0.14 per kilowatt hour
        Last edited by squirrel; September 14, 2012, 01:54 PM.
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
          I guess he didn't understand that the Volt is supposed to be a commuter car? Most commutes are less than 25 miles....do the math over, see what happens.'

I pay about $0.14 per kilowatt hour
          Article slanted against the Volt?

I figured mine.. $0.11... Long ways from $1.16..
          Huh! Dang. Sure makes me sound the fool once I got over being shocked!
          So redoing the math.. It would cost me $0.07 a mile to operate the Volt...
          Selective math!

Comment

The reporter's numbers are complete fiction. He has no idea what he's doing.

The Volt's total battery capacity is 16kW, but a full charge is only 11 kW. On most any battery-powered electrical device, charge cycling is always limited in this manner to protect and extend battery life.

Also, I have no idea where someone would pay $1.16 per kW hour retail for electricity. I pay $00.08.

So it's 11 x .08 = $00.88 cost of daily recharge

It's not 16 x $1.16 = $18.56 cost of daily recharge

Gee, he's only off by 21x.

And he also says the car got 30 mpg gasoline consumption while on battery power. Wait, what? What does that even mean?

This is garbage. How could somebody get his facts and figures so wrong?

Oh, I see the problem. Fox News. This story was never intended to be truthful.
            Serious gearhead? Visit----> Mac's Motor City Garage.com

Comment

The Volt is still a rather lousy example of an electric car, they could get their point across without the exaggeration, if they wanted.
              My fabulous web page

Comment

I'm so embarassed I even posted this...

My first clue was Squirrel's cost... He lives sorta in the boonies (I think)
                Thus I whipped out my power bill... The shame crept up..
                Did the calculating... Whoa! Full bore blush

SORRY GUYS FOR POSTING THIS CRAP!

Comment

Whenever you get an email about something like this, check snopes.com

Article details energy costs associated with operating the Chevy Volt.
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

The Volt is still a rather lousy example of an electric car, they could get their point across without the exaggeration, if they wanted.
                    I think the objective of the Volt was to offer an attractive, desirable, usable commuter vehicle rather than one that boasts the maximum economy numbers at minimum sticker price. The car is upmarket in features and price-- it's aimed at the early adopters.
                    Serious gearhead? Visit----> Mac's Motor City Garage.com

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                      I'm so embarassed I even posted this...

My first clue was Squirrel's cost... He lives sorta in the boonies (I think)
                      Thus I whipped out my power bill... The shame crept up..
                      Did the calculating... Whoa! Full bore blush

SORRY GUYS FOR POSTING THIS CRAP!
                      No apologies needed - good subject - how we go to it matters not.
                      And I respect the two responders and their answers and input.
                      I thank you all.
                      Phil / Omaha

Comment

$1.16 kwh? Its cheaper than where I live. Then again so is $3.19 gas, havent seen that low since 2007. I know an electric wont work for me, I have a much longer commute than urban people. The author is doing the same thing they do with alky, fudge the numbers and say its bad. Most people wont check the numbers, and these emails dont help anything.

Dont worry about it Bob, its good for conversation and education to have discussions about stuff like this. Keeps us gearheads current.

Comment

I find whenever they down a car, its for reasons that might startle the public. a national news can't just speak up, its like politics.

probably poisonous battery or some other top secret altering opinions as if we are children in a playpen unable to hear adult subject matter.

speaking of 87 subaru...
                          they even had mid 20s mpg on the original sticker. most fought like heck to keep it from climbing to 50mpg nuclear bomb, and it was toxic. they targetted opinions all the way to bankrupt..as backwards facts. Non factual.

there is alot of cars that end up there. Dying as a lie. They won't speak real reasons. most likely toxins, or unsafe structures passed through an american safety check.
                          Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 14, 2012, 03:46 PM.
                          Previously boxer3main
                          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Now... I'm wondering... Are the batteries more toxic?
                            As opposed to what?
                            When are they needing replaced?
                            Spendy?

Considering how we are lied to, right and left..

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post
                              $1.16 kwh? Its cheaper than where I live. Then again so is $3.19 gas, havent seen that low since 2007. I know an electric wont work for me, I have a much longer commute than urban people. The author is doing the same thing they do with alky, fudge the numbers and say its bad. Most people wont check the numbers, and these emails dont help anything.

Dont worry about it Bob, its good for conversation and education to have discussions about stuff like this. Keeps us gearheads current.
                              same but well they price gouge every thing where i live do to it being a "college" town

are power bill is $1.17/hr and 25 mile range would only get me to town but i know i am not the demographic for a electric comuter car city driving is not boonie romping
                              Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
                              Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Working...
                              X