selling on ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• selling on ebay

I have some random car parts i dont think i will need any time soon but someone out there might want. Have you ever sold anything on ebay? How did you ship it? Insurance? Confirmation?

Thanks,

Russell
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

When I sell stuff I use USPS Priority Shipping, it's usually a dollar or two more than Parcel Post, but the buyer gets their stuff in 3 days max... As for insurance unless it is something that is a lot of money I don't bother unless the buyer asks, and I get the Delivery Confirmation but don't make them sign for it........ Saying all that USPS has NEVER let me down, which is something I can't say about UPS and Fedex

Comment

I"ve sold quite a few parts, only one in the past week though. I usually list the part for sale as an auction, with the minimum I would want for it, and sometimes I put a buy it now price of about 2.5 times the starting price. It's a fun game.

I ship UPS because the post office pisses me off. And UPS depot is on the way into town. And the ladies there are really nice and behave like they actually want my business...unlike the post office, which appears to be there to annoy people.

Anyways...I pack stuff myself, I've been hoarding packing materials and boxes for a long time. Packing parts is a science, most people do not comprehend the principal rule, which is to make it so the item(s) CANNOT move inside the box. If you do that, you'll be fine, almost always.

UPS lets you buy protection in hundred dollar increments, the first $100 is free. They give you a real tracking number so you can track where the item is, unlike the post office which only tells you they put it in the persons mailbox, you have no clue when it will get there. And if you provide the email address of the buyer, they get the tracking number emailed to them.

Have fun....and you get to spend playpal money on new parts you really need.
      Last edited by squirrel; September 22, 2012, 07:48 PM.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Been selling car parts & music gear on eBay for a long time.
        Made decent money, had some minor issues, not a bad gig..

Comment

never sold parts? that rating with the feedbacks and your location..
          you may find you are just giving ebay money for 6 views in a month long ad.

maine is f**** by ebay, unless some business account or whatever rank lets it climb.
          I had one address, it was like I could sell an ice cube to an eskimo. Why? it was one number down from an industrial park on address of origin.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I have been selling regularly for about 6months now. I have only been burned once. Make sure you take a picture of the item and any defects before you ship. Then that way they can't say it was broke or not as described. I try to stay away from electronics. I also mark my parts in a uncommon area so they can't pull a switcheroo.
            FedEx has $100 worth of insurance free. Never had to file a claim.
            It's real fun though. Bought a cup holder for $2.99 sold it for $87. 20 minutes of work total.
            Jeff
            Follow My Build

Comment

should have came Charlotte for the swap meet this weekend

Comment

I ship big stuff fedex ground, small stuff I ship usps, usually flat rate boxes I leave on the front porch or in the mailbox to be picked up - so I don't have to make a trip anywhere.

Jim is right, package carefully, and price at the minimum you'll take, if you put a reserve, it costs a bit more and surely at least a few folks will ask what the reserve is.

Get good with the macro setting on your camera and take good pictures showing the details of the part, casting numbers, scratches, etc, require some patience to get a good picture of, at least for my photo challenged self.
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Sold lots of stuff on in the past.
                  All good suggestions here....especially the packing part and taking photos.
                  I usually try to use the USPS one rate boxes..........plus the boxes are free.

Larger items get UPS.

One thing I do before I list an item........I make sure I have a box/package that
                  the part will fit in.
                  That way when the auction is done........I get funds via Paypal and the part goes out
                  next day.
                  Buyers like it when they get their parts quick.
                  I always make a copy of the Ebay auction and use it as a packing slip..........and hand write
                  a thank you on it.
                  Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

My brother and I have been selling all kinds of stuff on eBay for years. Never been screwed - but we both shoot straight when selling or buying, and have 100% positive ratings. Make sure you explain it all in your auction text - shipping costs, etc., and then follow through.
                    Don't ship outside the continental US - it's just not worth the extra hassle. Don't end auctions early, or disclose a reserve if you've set one. Be polite and treat everyone nicely - it pays off.
                    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Like Thom, I also get the item photo'd and packed first before I list it, then I know the exact weight and size to put into the listing.
                      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Thanks guys this is the info i was looking for! If you are not using the flat rate boxes, how do you take estimate shipping?
                        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                        X