Craig Jackson of B-J is at it again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craig Jackson of B-J is at it again

I'm watching Barrett Jackson in Las Vegas tonight. Craig Jackson is up on the podium telling the bidders they are not bidding enough on a car. "This car is a $_______ car!" I feel he is not so subtlely telling the bidders they are cheap skates and need to bid more.

I do understand where they stand as an auction house. When someone with a high end classic car is talking to auction houses about consigning his car; they try to get the car by telling the owner that they can get X amount of dollars for the car. When the bids do not come close to that amount; the auction house people look bad to the car owner. Craig Jackson's problem is that he has mostly cars consigned without reserves promising more money if they don't. Maybe back in 2006, not now.

So, everytime he grabs the mic, he looks like a total asshat. To me, it's desperate attempt to avoid a heated conversation about how a consignor's car only brought half the money they predicted. A car is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it. Not a penny more.

What do you guys think.
    Last edited by Scott Liggett; September 22, 2012, 08:35 PM.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Car is only worth what someone will pay...
    Tacky to tell customers to open their wallets.

Comment

although it's a great way to get laughed at by people who are watching
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I think they are too full of themselves, and of fecal matter. Thanks to auctions like that on TV, we now have people thinking that rusted out six cylinder 4 door is worth $15k. That any 69 Camaro in any condition is at least $10k. People with more money than brains buying cars as an investment, and thus creating a market for them that is completely absurd.

The dude telling people they need to pay more for something, well that makes him sound like someone else that is always hitting people up for money and guilting them into giving it. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, or there is no dollar value because it means something to the person who owned it, built it, drove it, or has some sort of nostalgic history with it.

Comment

I think the whole auction business is scared to death that ebay is destroying their livelyhood. This guy is obviously desperate, and is filling with more hot air and fecal matter with each passing event.
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Its an auction and he gets what the room wants it for ,too bad, I agree its his fault,directly, that the hobby got so over blown,look at what goes on today,cloning and decitful practices selling cars, people paying 6 or 7 digits for a car-never to be recouped either due to his BS, like mentioned above any rusty junk going for 15 g's -nuts. The good side is plenty of cars got restored that normally would not have.

Comment

Scott, I know exactly what your talking about. In my mind big time TV auctions are for big time cars, Yenko’s, Duzenburgs, GT500’s, and so on. They are trying to sell average cars in a big time event and then they get frustrated when it only brings average, or less than average prices. I suppose it worked for a while.

When he grabs the mic and scolds the audience I find it annoying and condescending.
              “This ..... is a 100,000 dollar car”, well bullshit, apparently it’s NOT.

And I’ve said this before many times, I do not get the no reserver thing at all??

Comment

Craig Jackson is a tool.

I've seen him do that..........then there are the cars that they
                give the bare minimum of time to and the seller gets squat.
                Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Craig and cronies have f up'd the classic/muscle car market and forced the hobbyist out at all of our expense. He's made his millions and more but the market is drying up somewhat. Boo hoo Craig! Idiot!
                  Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Comment

am I supposed to watch auctions? or care about them? huh....
                    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                      Craig Jackson is a tool.

I've seen him do that..........then there are the cars that they
                      give the bare minimum of time to and the seller gets squat.
                      Know somebody who wanted to sell a Yenko clone as a clone.. He had an arguement with them.. He had a price he wanted, but they said no, sell it as a real Yenko.. He refused.. Decided not to go thru with it.. He did the car well enough to pass as the real deal, except with a crate 502.. He drove that car... Which is what cars are for!

I agree they ruined cars for alot of people.. Seeing shows on tv where they hustle to flip cars at auctions just makes me sad.. Poor folks who add something they want, like the next big technological thing that has not been invented yet to find a mess under the upholstry..or sides..

Comment

When you really think about it, old cars are not really intrinsically worth anything. The only thing that makes an old car more valuable than a used refrigerator is two people who each want it more than the other.
                        The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                          I'm watching Barrett Jackson in Las Vegas tonight. Craig Jackson is up on the podium telling the bidders they are not bidding enough on a car. "This car is a $_______ car!" I feel he is not so subtlely telling the bidders they are cheap skates and need to bid more.

I do understand where they stand as an auction house. When someone with a high end classic car is talking to auction houses about consigning his car; they try to get the car by telling the owner that they can get X amount of dollars for the car. When the bids do not come close to that amount; the auction house people look bad to the car owner. Craig Jackson's problem is that he has mostly cars consigned without reserves promising more money if they don't. Maybe back in 2006, not now.

So, everytime he grabs the mic, he looks like a total asshat. To me, it's desperate attempt to avoid a heated conversation about how a consignor's car only brought half the money they predicted. A car is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it. Not a penny more.

What do you guys think.
                          yeah ..the hack shelby vintage racer ...worth not so much ..jackson is a real bullshi t artist

Comment

It's his gig... therefore, the guy can do whatever he wants. No likie... then don't watch or participate.

As a sidenote... I went to high school with Craig. We lived one street apart. Back in the 70s... his dad had all sorts of rides in their driveway, backyard, sideyard, front of the house... everywhere. It was always an eye sore... yet, quite a sight!
                            Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

If Craig Jackson thinks it's worth X amount, I'd tell him to go ahead and buy it himself. I wouldn't pay a dime over what I thought it was worth to me.

Needling an auction crowd isn't anything new....but it's backfired more often than not.

Comment

Working...
                              X