The alure of the Fox Body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The alure of the Fox Body

Ok, i just snagged this car http://hartford.craigslist.org/car/682079132.html

the way gas prices are... can't keep driving my truck.

the li'l thing is damn clean, super low on options (manual windows, power locks? wtf?) and the 4 banger just needs a tune. its ugly too.

well, I found my new SCCA trainer car...

oh yeah, I amortized the car. 14 fillups to cover the cost, and the extra insurance it'll cost me, will be 1 fillup a month!

well, I got an expensive backup vehicle now...

Re: The alure of the Fox Body

I did the same thing a month ago, except I bought a '83 Honda 650 to ride to work instead of driving my 05 F150 with 35's and 4.56 gears (guess the mileage on that). I figured that even if I only ride it half the time, it should pay for itself within a couple of months. Insurance is only $90 per year.

Good luck with the Fox, looks like a solid car.
    Still plays with trucks....

Comment

Man, I wish I still had my old 85 5.0, 5 spd LX. I use to get 25+MPG on the highway doing 75+ MPH with the AC blowing. On a trip to FLA, on one tank, my brother and I thought if we shut the AC off and do the speed limit, which was 55 MPH at the time we'd do better. Got 23 MPG on that tank. Next tank, back up to 80-85 MPG with the AC blowing and got over 25 MPG!
      Tom
      Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I'm weird.... I'd take a Lincoln Mk VII over a mushang.
        Central TEXAS Sleeper
        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

got me a little cavalier drop top for the econo cruiser, sure beats filling the tahoe twice a week!! Even added a fart pipe and hugger orange camaro stripes for an added wtf flair!! ;D ;D

Nice stanger btw, i like yours, the notch back way better than than the fastback everyone has!

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
            I'm weird.... I'd take a Lincoln Mk VII over a mushang.
            wait till you find out what it cost to fix these things. and they do break.
            Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Originally posted by outlaw57
              got me a little cavalier drop top for the econo cruiser, sure beats filling the tahoe twice a week!! Even added a fart pipe and hugger orange camaro stripes for an added wtf flair!! ;D ;D

Nice stanger btw, i like yours, the notch back way better than than the fastback everyone has!
              i have one of each. i like them both. as mentioned above, i would get 22 to 24 mpg at 80 to 85mph all the time. they are reliable as all get out and the style is still good looking.
              Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Oh I know they break, they have air suspensions and a lot more electronics onboard. Just to be different I'd mess with a turbo I6 using the early I6 crossmember.
                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle
                  When you get over being scared by the thundering 88hp, you can always swap in the turbo coupe stuff... ;D
                  wow... I'll have to give my dad a ride so he can compare it to the neck snapping ride I gave him in my Hyundai that I had in college...

well, I just sent an email to my local AutoX club. I'm getting F-prepared class, even though my car is almost ALL stock, missing a couple interior items puts me into one of the Top-Tiers.

So I'll do some more mileage upping weight shedding. Why not?

I had initially thought of painting a little hamster wheel (w/ hamster) where a 5.0 emblem would be. Then, because this is a mustang, I figure, Pygmy Pony Racing (see Zappa's "Montana") and I'll put a pony in the wheel ;D

Looks like there's a bunch of fun stuff to do to this car. If I keep it long enough, I may eventually put in a 5.0 and a 5 speed and an 8.8 and turn it into a C-prep daily driver. I've also heard stories about high 20/low 30 5.0s with boost. But for now I'll keep it as an F-prep daily beater. Or maybe a turbo 4... or... maybe I should just concentrate on finishing a mopar now that my gas bill will be half as much...

Comment

air springs yuk

Comment

Now that four popper mustang makes since. A friend at wirk last year bought a new quad cab four wheel drive hemi with the 20 inch wheels 5spd auto 390 gears and everything else. Now around here GM is offering cobalts 11000 at 0% . Figures he can drive it thru the week it'll pay for its self and give him 100 bucks towords his dodge payment. I told him don't forget sales tax ,excise tax and full coverage insurance . Plus the unstable job market here in the mid west for manufacturing . It's not worth the risk. I've be trying to get him to do what you did but I'm afraid he'll take the plunge today.

Comment

The Cobalt deal....LOL

My wife half-jokingly suggested I swap my truck for a Cobalt...I laughed.

Comment

I drove it the 47mi home today. Cracked winshield and "borrowed" plate and all. Not one prob. The shocks/springs/struts are shot. Brakes need to gone over. The EGR valve and air pump are toast. I'll plug the port on the manifold and the corresponding vacuum plugs. granted, it didn't have a lot of pep, but I think I still have most of the gas I put in it at the origin! I think I overpaid still by about $100. otherwise, I think this is a steal. I've been looking for an economical RWD vehicle (think starion/conquest) but I think I made out better here.

Comment

I've got 'an 80 Fairmont 4-Door. White w/Blue Vinyl gut,AM Radio,PS,PD-Brakes & A/C(works nice :o....). Only 77-thousand miles. 200-L6/C3 Auto. Pretty damn clean both inside & out. New Tires,Brakes(all 'round....),new front Brake Hoses,new Rad Hoses,Belts. It's my 'emergancy-Car.' Not bad for $600(about 2 years ago...) ;). ~OO6.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X