Some people just cant be reached

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some people just cant be reached

Im 22, live in the deep country. There's an old house no one has lived in for years on an adjoining farm of ours. In one of the barns is a 68 Torino. It's been there since I've been alive. First year for the 302, which it is, with 68,xxx miles and great interior. Little rust on one corner of the trunk lid, barn leaning on the fender.

I have access to tractor's, semi's, big trucks and have faith I could have got it out without hurting it.

The owner lives in town, works as a bagger for a grocery store, lives in a bad part of town. I'm not judging him, he seems like a nice guy. Tells me he wont accept no offer. I throw some out. Blulighting on here had me make an offer. This was five years ago. I've kept talking to him, telling him the barn has got worse. Pictures tell the the rest of the story.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

man what a crazy deal, u would think the guy would want some cash
    COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

Sad, I see stuff like that all the time .. don't even bother to knock on doors anymore .
      sigpic

Comment

I think people like that need the attention more than they need the money. I can't remember all of the cars I've seen that are purposely left in plain sight but the owners have no intention of selling.
        Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Same hunting derby cars,.. Get the " GET THE XXXX OFF MY PROPERTY" too often...
          Farm up the road had a 76 Chrysler, bumpers are derby gold.. Real asshat! 2weeks later, a scrapper cherrypicked it onto a semi..
          It was his to do unreasonably with...
          People hate derbyers for being such good recyclers...

Comment

It's the hoarding mentality.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Barn could have gone over softly. Could still be worth getting out. My have to wait for him to kick the bucket.
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

so sad - thanks for trying.
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Two shames. Those old barns will live forever if they have a good roof and they're a treasure, too. Maybe the Torino escaped but it'll be a chore to get out of there if there's anything left of it. Looks like a giant game of pick-up sticks (am I the only one who remembers pick-up sticks?).

Dan

Comment

I am the eternal optimist.

To me, it looks like the retrieval is just getting easier! Give it a few more years and the barn will have completely leaned/crawled/rotted its way completely off the car. Then you just have briars to contend with!

(this process could be accellerated today - mix 1 can of beer to 2 liter of cheap sugary soda, apply solution to beams that need the rotting process sped up. In a couple of years you can just sweep it away.)

Not that I suggest you wandering over there and accidentally spilling your favorite beer/soda beverage or anything......

I second Dan on the two shames. Don't give up, its still a cool car. Those barns usually go down slowly, unless a tornado is involved.
                    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Just curious. How old is the owner? I ask because I know more than a few guys like that, stuck in time. It may just be a case of you not being in the same time zone.
                      Why dance when you can rock and roll?

Comment

Luckily the money that I had to buy that car is long gone now! I don't feel so bad about it.
                        I R Bob
                        You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                        2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Neat pics, what a cool area.

We never really know what someone's reasons are for having something. People tend to hold particular objects as part of their persona which they create for themselves, whether or not they are actually interested in putting any time or care into it. If you really think you'd make a better owner than he would, sometimes the best thing to do is make sure that they know you like it (as in making compliments or whatever) then just show 'em a little respect and don't push on them to sell. Then...hover like a f'n vulture! Quiet but observant, and patient.

There was a particular car that sat in a lot in this town for years, that I finally decided should belong to me, not them. But the guy would not sell it to me, they didn't want to even hear an offer and I was willing to go pretty high. Finally, I actually pissed them off with pestering and it was clear I wasn't going to get it no matter what. If they ever did sell it, it would not be to me. So... I put it in the hands of a trusted freind. He had a body shop, at one point they needed some work and everybody connected up, and he mentioned that he might take part of the payment in trade for that old car sitting in the back, and they bit. Funny thing is, I got it that way for far less money than I had been willing to pay. This whole deal actually took a couple years. Did I mention..."patient"?

Comment

Yall are right, I still dont think the car is too bad, as long as nothing hit the roof. The old man is around 70. The Amish would remove the barn for free more than likely. There's people who pay more for it than new wood. Im the only one that sees the car regularly. It cant be seen from the road.

About time to call him again?
                            Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

I don't think it would hurt to at least let him know the building has substantially collapsed.... on the car.
                              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                              X