Well that hurt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well that hurt.

So, I was checking out some stuff on the Tahoe pre-winter, and I had it backed up on a curb on a downhill, knowing that it was not going to move. I jacked it up, put a jackstand under the framerail, lowered the jack and move it clear. I started to check stuff on the right front side. I was sitting belly up to the brake hub looking at the suspension and CV shafts when I see the thing start to move. I got mostly out from under it, but my left foot got snagged in the lower control arm and was suddenly under a lot of pressure.

Lessons learned: On a Saturday night on campus, no one comes when you are screaming HELP!.
    Second: It's really hard to concentrate on lifting a truck off your foot when you are finding out what a 10 on the pain scale feels like.
    Third: Drinking/party night is a bad time to try and find a ride to the hospital.

The good news: Somehow nothing is broken, and I am just walking with a limp for the next few days. The Tahoe is also undamaged. I have no idea what the hell happened. I don't even remember where the jackstand was when I put it back under the truck after jacking it off my foot.

See, you should have been at a party! Glad you're ok Walt, but next time yell "FREE BEER!" That's guaranteed to bring college kids running.
    I'm probably wrong

Comment

ah what Tedly said!!
      COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

Been there man, not quite that bad, but been there. Working on stuff for the Baja project with no one else around. Heavy machine tools, heck even light machine tools. All it takes it helicoptering one part on the drill press to cut ya up pretty good with no help around.
        Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

I always leave the jack under even with jackstand, if possible. And stick wood blocks nder tires if possible. Glad your okay.
          Last edited by kyhunter89; September 24, 2012, 05:53 PM.
          Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

Originally posted by kyhunter89 View Post
            I always leave the jack under even with jackstand, if possible. And stick wood blocks nder tires if possible. Glad your okay.

DITTO!

Got pinned once, never want to feel that again ..... lucky my wife was home from work that day......BE CAREFUL WALT!
            Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Glad you're OK Walt.....
              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
              HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

lesson learned and that you're still around to live on from your experience, keep the jack under the vehicle and jack stands dont like soft asphalt
                Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Glad to hear you survived your brush with lack of foresight bud. Now you know why I am so anal about getting the stands under it right, and making sure the ground under them isnt going to let anything tip. After we almost dumped the LeMans the other day you should have thought about it more. Just doin my NCO part keepin the future Os thinkin ahead... I dumped one car off jackstands and that was enough for me. I am just happy I wasnt under it, because I take up LOTS more space than you do.

Walt needs a little more time before he can get free beer... and even then I dont think he will.

Comment

Glad your alright Walt, that's some scary stuff right there, and one reason I always leave the jack under the car just for extra safety, just in case something like that happens....... also make sure you pull the emergency brake so the rear wheels don't turn.....

This reminds me of a friend of mine that had a Maverick and was working under it with no jack stands when the jack let go, he ended up trapped in the transmission tunnel until his mom got home............ Ya good thing it didn't have an engine and trans in it at the time........ Be careful Bud!!!.......
                    Last edited by TC; September 24, 2012, 07:50 PM.

Comment

scary stuff glad your ok man!!!
                      COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

He was sure looking out for you - glad you're relatively unscathed... now about putting the tire under the truck to keep it from falling all the way to the ground
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                          He was sure looking out for you - glad you're relatively unscathed... now about putting the tire under the truck to keep it from falling all the way to the ground
                          You mean you were under the rig without the tire under it... Thought that was SOP?....

Comment

Definitely a live and learn lesson. Glad you lived, and have all of your appendages. I also often keep the floor jack under the frame most of the time.

Not sure what kind of jack stands you are using. If they have a triangular, three sided base, throw them away. Get some with a square base. The triangular ones tip easily.
                            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

First off glad your o.k. our family has had 2 scares of this nature. First one was my dad had a wheel of doing the rear drums on his 76 Chrysler. Got done and though he would reach under and give the muffler at tap back up the pipe. Yeah it fell catching his shoulder and head. Most of the weight wad on the shoulders but this was causing him not to be able to breathe since this monstrosity was trying to push them together. As he was blacking out the mailman and a neighbor jacked it off of him. Fractured his skull near the temple, broke his jaw bone at the chin an half way between the chin and his ear, and a broken coller bone. My deal was pulling the drive shaft out of a s-10 blazer . There was a slight grade to the drive that you normally do not think of. Well soon as the u-joint cleared the yoke on the axle it started trying to run me over. So I grab the yoke with both hands, holding on for dear life. When I couldn't hold on any longer, I had been able to twist around and get my foot in front of the tire to act as a chock. Then I sqirmed out. Let me echo the leaving a jack under the car with a little weight on it. I also have another floor jack just in case something happens that I don't forsee that someone could use to free me.
                              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
                              X