Deadliest Jobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deadliest Jobs

Looks like Scott profession made the cut on this one....

found this on MSNBC...kinda interesting.

The 10 deadliest jobs:

1.Fishers and related fishing workers
    2.Logging workers
    3.Aircraft pilot and flight engineers
    4.Refuse and recyclable material collectors
    5.Roofers
    6.Structural iron and steel workers
    7.Farmers, ranchers, and other agricultural managers
    8.Drivers/sales workers and truck drivers
    9.Electrical power-line installers and repairers
    10.Taxi drivers and chauffeurs
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Where is US Soldier listed? .... The media strikes again!
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster View Post
      Where is US Soldier listed? .... The media strikes again!
      I dunno, I guess if it is based on the number in that career field per deaths annually...then the numbers might support these others more...
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post

The 10 deadliest jobs:

2.Logging workers
        5.Roofers
        Please dont send that list to my mother. She is in blissful denial.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

mamma Ligget! mamma Ligget! look what I found! you better give that boy of yours a talking to..hes in a dangerous profession... Matthew Broderic might give him what-fore with a pen to the juggular!!

Comment

I wonder if government jobs were not included - I expected to see soldier and border patrol officer (and police officers in some cities) on that list.
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

You probably hear a lot more about when someone in those professions loses their life, compared to those in "normal" jobs like on the list.
              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post

The 10 deadliest jobs:

2.Logging workers
                5.Roofers
                Looks like I might've made #8.

Today they don't call it sales.......it's either marketing or consulting.
                Driving 50-60,000 miles a year and being your own boss is worth the risk.
                Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                  Looks like I might've made #8.

Today they don't call it sales.......it's either marketing or consulting.
                  Driving 50-60,000 miles a year and being your own boss is worth the risk.
                  I bet it is...to not have some gomer hanging over your every move and fart...

Comment

I must be a reckless stuntman, the first 3 were my life.

worked with my uncle the lobsterman, very young, first real job. I was learning the whole thing, plans to even work it myself at 18..never happened. boat broke mooring ended up smashed and sunk off acadia national park.
                    I then went old school logging.16 to 17. chainsaw cut and load, then deliver wth an overfreighted hay truck. the guy who got it going back then died at 50..we all gained the same poison.

then at 17, started checking for a military route out of this dangerous shithole...where do I end up. the tough guy at the end of a cold war on a 50 year old plane as a crew chief. this before it attracted liberace window cleaners pretending to be mechanics that got dirty..

I am real lucky or real stupid. I am disabled either way.

the trucking and taxis and even pilots. it is ashame to put those there. machines are better than ever. even mechanics have an easier time. chemistry changes, laws..safety.

I still go trucking. some places need high skill, about the only danger. where is that machine working? that is the possible danger.
                    Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 25, 2012, 12:31 PM.
                    Previously boxer3main
                    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Looks like my vocation made #8.....trucking.

b3m, the equipment may be safer, but the dumb shits on the road have quadrupled....

Comment

I used to log for a living. I know of plenty of people getting hurt, but only one that got killed. Truck driver got careless and drug his trailer off a bridge (tight corner just before it). It pile drove the truck and trailer about 20'. Too bad- nice guy.
                        Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

I picked up on that list on MSN, too. Not a lot of surprises, it hardly changes from year-to-year. As per No. 1, that's how Deadliest Catch started a rash of successful TV docu-drama themes on Discovery and other channels. Deadliest Catch set that trend on fire. People just LOVE that stuff, and stuff like it - let's watch TV and eat popcorn in the living room and see someone genuinely risking their life to make a living.

And a mighty good point about military folks - where are they on that list? Surely the number of folks exposed versus the number of casualties just didn't ratio out enough to make that list. And remember that cliche, something like, "47.2 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot." And they can be manipulated in any way to make whatever point the manipulator is trying to plant in the minds of the audience.

As far as a list, as far as being "in the face of it" every day, regardless of the numbers, I'd have military folks and cops and firemen at the top, or somewhere in there. The military folks in action and the firemen KNOW they're at risk when they're doing their job. It's obvious.

But the cops...How can a cop know in every situation when his/her own life is at stake? After all, how many news stories have we all read or seen on TV where it all started with a "routine traffic stop?" That phrase is over-used in the media, and it's always associated with something real bad that came as a result.
                          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I was number 6 for a while after high school. What a crap job.
                            I R Bob
                            You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                            2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Originally posted by tiresmoke! View Post
                              Looks like my vocation made #8.....trucking.

b3m, the equipment may be safer, but the dumb shits on the road have quadrupled....
                              I'll give ya an 'amen' on that Smoke.

I've always said that I'm not worried about dieing from some disease.......I'll probably
                              get my ticket punched on the road somewhere.
                              Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Working...
                              X