What's in your dream shop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's in your dream shop?

The downsizing thread got me thinking: if you could build your dream shop, what would you put in it? What would be the ultimate set up to actually get projects done?
    Who needs sugar and spice and everything nice? I'm a Southern girl - give me cars, guns and whiskey on ice. ~Mrs. Remy-Z

If I had nothing in it, then I could get something done. There's too much crap in it now.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
      If I had nothing in it, then I could get something done. There's too much crap in it now.
      X2...
      Do I really need those metal one gallon oil cans? (look like one quart but in one gallon size... Gotta have a funnel popper tool to use)
      And extra parts that most likely never will see use..

Comment

Loren
        Last edited by LORENSWIFE; September 26, 2012, 09:29 AM.
        That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

a heavy weight lathe, and the old drill press my dad found. I was going to go hillbilly and make a vertical one. hefty press.
          and I'd want all the other basics.

a unique thing I learned in my hillbilly hacking., a good heavy weight steel table for welding sensitive. Take the battle of maines earth right out of the equation.
          plasma cutter hand version
          english wheel.

and a hammer.

all the other little things. too many to mention.
          Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 26, 2012, 09:23 AM.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Maybe I should add that besides being bored at work, this may or may not be a shameless way to get Christmas present ideas...
            Who needs sugar and spice and everything nice? I'm a Southern girl - give me cars, guns and whiskey on ice. ~Mrs. Remy-Z

Comment

Although I've seen amazing work come out of a 2 car garage..... I'd say the minimum building size I would build if I could afford it - would be a 40x60. I have a 30x50 and you can't get two cars in nose to tail (doors are in the 50ft side).

A two post lift to work on would be in the top 3 on the priority list.
              welder (ac/dc Tig and mig)
              press with tooling
              brake / shear / roll for sheetmetal work (I'll leave the planishing hammer and english wheel to the real artists... or on the someday list)
              large work benches you can beat the hell out of and not worry about.

tons and tons of itemized storage space - bins, compartments, tire rack, cabinets, etc - a way to finally keep stuff where it's supposed to be and where you can find it when you need it.

A "Clean room" that could be used for building engines, carbs, etc, but also used for painting projects
              (ultimately a paint booth - but that's excessive for a hobby shop)

Good ventillation and insulation - keep the condesation to a minimum, and keep it comfy to work in there year round.

More lights than you'd ever think you'd need - including on the wall next to the hoist to light up underneath.

that's just a start.

I won't even get into the vehicles and collectibles - that's too subjective.
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

2 acres of concrete, a few lifts, a paint booth, a wash bay and a crap ton of electricity and compressed air.
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I am a simple guy, I would be fine with a detatched 3 car garage for cars and hobby equipment only. A 2 car would be required for the other crap.

It would need a lift, not a drive on lift.

It would need to be plumbed for air, with a large compressor to run multiple air tools at one time.

It would need a welding table

A tire machine

A drill press

A lathe

Good lighting

A toilet and sink

A parts cleaner

A blasting cabinet

A bead roller

A Metal brake

A Band Saw

A Bench Grinder

multiple power outlets

vintage stero equipment with turn table/and a jug of Jack on tap...
                  If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Roy Brizio, Larry Larson, Chip Foose and Sophia Vargara
                    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by cdmbill View Post
                      roy brizio, larry larson, chip foose and sophia vargara
                      Bill! Hahahahaha!
                      Last edited by LORENSWIFE; September 26, 2012, 09:49 AM.
                      That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

It would be huge, rather like an old dealership, with a complete machine shop so I can do engines or fabrication work, paint booth, engine/trans assembly area, wash rack to get things clean, and enough parking indoors for something like 40 cars and all the parts I have. Compartmentalize the dirty rooms where you block sand/prime and do tear down/paint/rust removal. Lights everywhere, with dry air in the lines, and two lifts plus an alignment rack. An apartment on the side or above it, and all of it underground so its easy to heat and cool.

Would definitely have to have surround sound, and a HUGE screen for watching movies with friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post
                          It would be huge, rather like an old dealership, with a complete machine shop so I can do engines or fabrication work, paint booth, engine/trans assembly area, wash rack to get things clean, and enough parking indoors for something like 40 cars and all the parts I have. Compartmentalize the dirty rooms where you block sand/prime and do tear down/paint/rust removal. Lights everywhere, with dry air in the lines, and two lifts plus an alignment rack. An apartment on the side or above it, and all of it underground so its easy to heat and cool.

Would definitely have to have surround sound, and a HUGE screen for watching movies with friends.
                          DING DING DING - we have a winner.... forgive me for thinking more realistically.... Todd's got it all handled here.
                          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
                            Roy Brizio, Larry Larson, Chip Foose and Sophia Vargara
                            There are fatal flaws here. Foose would design some totally sexy car and then Brizio and his guys would build it, hand it off to Larson and next thing we knew, Larson would have added a tube chassis and twin turbo engine to it. All the while, Sophia would have the complete attention of anyone who was supposed to be accomplishing anything.

It would be the most glorious failure of all time.
                            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
                              There are fatal flaws here. Foose would design some totally sexy car and then Brizio and his guys would build it, hand it off to Larson and next thing we knew, Larson would have added a tube chassis and twin turbo engine to it. All the while, Sophia would have the complete attention of anyone who was supposed to be accomplishing anything.

It would be the most glorious failure of all time.

I fail to see a downside...

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                              DING DING DING - we have a winner.... forgive me for thinking more realistically.... Todd's got it all handled here.
                              I spend a bit of time thinking about it.
                              Last edited by Thumpin455; September 26, 2012, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X