Any Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Recommendations?

I'd like to weigh an engine and trans I have hanging off the shop crane. I'm guessing that the whole deal can't be more than 1,000 lbs. Took a look online for a spring scale (they also call them "dynamometers" believe it or not) that could hang off the hook. They're PRICEY!

Any ideas? Someone have one I could rent? I'd be happy to pay shipping and a fair rental. I just won't use it often enough to lay out $300 or so.

Thanks
    Dan

Put them in your pickup... Go to te truck scales on the freeway when they are closed, weigh, go home, remove and reweigh.. Lotta work, but free...

Comment

I once measured the hitch weight of a 5th wheel trailer by setting up a 10' beam with a pivot on one end, a bathroom scale on the other, and then jacking up the trailer off the beam at the 1' mark and then of-course doing the multiplication. I wonder if you couldn't do some such similar arrangement, if total accuracy isn't a concern (of course you figure in beam weight and don't side-load the bathroom scale, however you are doing it).

Comment

Do you know anybody who does commercial or sports fishing? They have basic spring loaded scales designed to hang from hooks like your hoist.
        Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

I like Bob's truck scale idea. Although with the last several engines and transmissions I needed to weigh, they unloaded them with a big magnet from the back of the truck, and gave me cash!

another method is to tell us what kind of engine/trans it is and we can guesstimate
          Last edited by squirrel; September 26, 2012, 03:19 PM.
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Ditto on Deafbobs idea, go to Pilot, T/A, or Loves , anyone with a CAT scale.

Comment

If you don't wanna load up the junk in the truck, just use a few bathroom scales.

Put it on some type of frame to spread the load to the scales, and add 'em up.
              Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Google the term "load cell" and find a local company like United Rentals or US Rents that has them.
                It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                  I like Bob's truck scale idea. Although with the last several engines and transmissions I needed to weigh, they unloaded them with a big magnet from the back of the truck, and gave me cash!

another method is to tell us what kind of engine/trans it is and we can guesstimate
                  I was thinking along squirrel's idea. Load it up and go to a scrap yard or garbage transfer station.
                  Tom
                  Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post
                    I was thinking along squirrel's idea. Load it up and go to a scrap yard or garbage transfer station.
                    Feed store here in town had a scale... For incoming grain in trucks.. They let me unload derby cars in their lot and weigh. Had a sign with rates to weigh but never charged me.. Lots of places to weigh .. Just need to know where to look ..

Comment

We have a stone & mulch place but they are kinda pricey. There's a truck stop over by the Pick & Pull with a CAT scale and that would probably work out. I thought of that and only hesitated as I kind of baby the truck but I could put a few layers of cardboard in there and do it that way.

I'll check with the rental place and see what they charge - I'm just curious about the weight and don't want to spend a potful when that could go for more speed goodies.

Thanks for the ideas.

Dan

Comment

build a pallet for it, from some of that old lumber you have laying around.
                        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Pay scales at a truck stop. Would have to do it same as d.o.t scales.
                          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

If it's recent enough, the AMMA website may have the weight without fluids.... it would take some googling but I bet you can find the weight on the web.
                            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                            X