Has anyone imported a new car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    I suggested a Suburban, she suggested something that is (at least as far as I can see) impossible, and not very nice.
    Nature of the beast....

Comment

If the car was never crash tested or has emissions data for U.S. import, like the Nissan Skyline GTR, then its unlikely you can get it licensed here. Importing the car isnt the problem. Registering it and insuring it so is legal to drive is the problem.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Because getting domestically imported car parts is tooooo easy.
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
          My wife was happy when I replaced her A4 Quattro with a 4x4 Suburban........
          Driving Big Trucks and Suv's sucks (except for blizzard conditions ), if I didn't need to pull cars and motorcycle trailers and misc. crap we wouldn't have one at all.

If I was a big hunter, fisher, off-road fella I might feel differently.
          Last edited by mike343sharpstick; September 28, 2012, 06:34 PM.

Comment

go to your local dmv office and ask them for their list of auto importers, I looked into it when I was living in arizona and wanted to get a crew cab ford ranger from mexico, its pretty easy to do in AZ
            Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Originally posted by nickleone View Post
              this is a really good link..... I may even have found myself more business
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                If the car was never crash tested or has emissions data for U.S. import, like the Nissan Skyline GTR, then its unlikely you can get it licensed here. Importing the car isnt the problem. Registering it and insuring it so is legal to drive is the problem.
                import it with the engine removed title it as a kit car. it then gets a state issued vin

at least that is how you can work around it in michigan
                Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
                Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

It's my understanding that if the car is 25 years or older, it is EXEMPT from EPA and DOT regs. So a 1988 model car is good come January. 1987 and older are fine now.

Mater has a good point, and that's one of the avenues I've been thinking about. What I really want are some Peugeots, a 406 wagon and a 607 sedan. Diesels, manual shift. The 406 was introduced in 1995 so I've got about 7 years and a couple months to wait. The 607 was brought out in 1999 as a 2000 model so that will be a few years more. But I'm wondering, could I import the car now as a roller, drop like an Ecotec 2.2 and 5-speed into it, enjoy it for a few years like that, then import an 2.2HDi engine after it's old enough? That would be sweet. Or just use a VW TDI engine sourced here in the states.
                  Alan Moore - Wichita Falls, TX
                  1976 Gran Torino 351C - Four Door Whore

Comment

that is one thing about michigan i could use the stock engine as no emission testing just hear
                    Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
                    Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Working...
                    X