Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Road Bee"???

Hey guys,

Help me understand why the "Road Bee" is so special as to deserve a cover and a feature article in the latest CC? I normally LOVE everything Steve Strope does, but this car leaves me scratchin' my head.

He usually comes up with a concept for a build and then does everything possible to hold true to the concept throughout the entire car. This one seems to fall short of that. The concept was two-fold, marry the doghouse of one car seamlessly to another. Check +! Then re-create the look of an 80-90s street machine. Half-check. I feel he came up short on staying true to the 80s street machine theme. He definitely scores major retro points with the Auto-Drags (where does one find 16x9.5s anyway?!?), but why aren't they wrapped in period-correct white-letter BFGs?

Every time I get a chance to lay my eyes on a new Steve Strope build, I race to the engine bay pics, fully expecting to be wowed by yet another clean and creative compartment. But this bay doesn't look much better than the average Joe's. If "80s Street Machine" was the theme, there's so flourishes absent (Moroso wires/cap, anodized valve covers, etc.) But if the goal was just straight-up clean Pure Vision-ism, then even that falls short. There's the trademark coolant overflow hard line (always love that), but there's so much mixing of disparate parts, I can't figure what happened here. The Moroso stuff is there, but so is a billet accesory drive, black anodized fittings and that God-awful battery front and center!

What am I missing? Yes, it's an amazing street machine in it's own right. But I feel this is the first time Steve didn't hold true to a pure vision for this one.
    1968 Biscayne
    406 / TH350 / 12-Bolt 3.42
    13.17 @ 104mph.

It's Car Craft......I get the mag but I've lowered my expectations
    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

It looks to me to be a loose interpretation of an '80s street machine. Kind of like the $50,000 rat rods guys built a few years ago. It's a nice car but there's a few things I would have done different.
      Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
        It's Car Craft......I get the mag but I've lowered my expectations
        like anythingh else, there's good months and there's bad months. They finish projects like I do. haha.

I'm not much of a Steve Strope fan though. It's curious that CC would feature it and not HRM. If you can't jump a curb with it running away without losing a rim that cost more than my car, I'm not all that into it.

Something for everyone - that's the beauty of it.
        Last edited by Beagle; September 29, 2012, 04:06 PM.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I'm not knockin' CC (I know there's some die-hard CC lovers on here). But rather, I'm wondering if I'm missing something when looking at this car? Whether your a fan of Strope's cars or not, I just feel like this one's not even close to his usual standards.
          1968 Biscayne
          406 / TH350 / 12-Bolt 3.42
          13.17 @ 104mph.

Comment

Havent seen it yet, sub has died and I havent renewed yet. Still pondering if I will or not. I usually get bored so I get mags to read in the smallest room in the house.

If retro ever gets to the pastels, splashes, and heartbeat crap again with teal and pink everywhere, I am going to puke again. Probably retch up something I ate in 87. The cool 80s stuff like Autodrags, Blue Max wires, and Moroso covers are ok, but keep the big yellow Accel coils and gaudy stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by RaysnCayne View Post
              I'm not knockin' CC (I know there's some die-hard CC lovers on here). But rather, I'm wondering if I'm missing something when looking at this car? Whether your a fan of Strope's cars or not, I just feel like this one's not even close to his usual standards.
              Did you notice the car belonged to someone else? Like any builder working for a customer and not building a car to show at SEMA; he had to build what the customer wanted.

Not everyone of Strope's clientele can afford $250,000 for a car build. In actuality, I'm sure those are few and far between.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

The gauges and rear discs are not quite right.
                The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                  Did you notice the car belonged to someone else? Like any builder working for a customer and not building a car to show at SEMA; he had to build what the customer wanted.

Not everyone of Strope's clientele can afford $250,000 for a car build. In actuality, I'm sure those are few and far between.

true, but i bet there is 100k in this one.
                  Charles

Comment

The "flavor" of most older hot rods, was that there was not a lot of money in them. It baffles me how you can spend so much money trying to "recreate an old school hot rod"

Oh well.
                    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I thought the way to make a rod worth more was to throw chrome on it?
                      Personally, I like some shiney stuff but not as much as some cars seem to have.. I like to see where I'm going and not have something flash in my eyes... Might have to do with flashing lights equates yelling to the deaf...

Comment

Just perused it .... I like it! Not really a Strope fan, but the road bee is kinda cool.
                        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Comment

i love it...
                            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

No offense Joe, or others that like this car but, meh. And I'm a Steve Strope fan, but this one is big huge zero for me and I really like 69 and 70 Road Runners, GTX's etc., but not Super Bee's like DF's. Oh well different strokes.
                              Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Working...
                              X