No announcement yet.

Finally Back On My Feet........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TC - can you use the hoist top itself as some roof support? I would melt in that sun ya'll have out there in the desert - shade would be a huge premium at some times of day.

so - what will be your first project on the new lift?
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
      TC - can you use the hoist top itself as some roof support? I would melt in that sun ya'll have out there in the desert - shade would be a huge premium at some times of day.

so - what will be your first project on the new lift?
      First car to go on it will be my '99 Z28 for the head and cam swap, then it'll be the '71 GMC, then I got to do a few things to the Monte to get it road worthy so I can take it to get the cage put in it..... Then while the Monte is getting worked on I'll put the '71 Camaro on it and put an end to that saga.........

I'm also thinking about epoxying the floor, anyone use that U-Coat-It stuff??.......

And I'm thinking of something like this to provide shade....

Last edited by TC; September 30, 2012, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Ah, so you plan on taking a running car apart but it won't need jackstands, therefore not contributing to the jackstand legacy?

Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
          Ah, so you plan on taking a running car apart but it won't need jackstands, therefore not contributing to the jackstand legacy?

No now with the lift I have to get even bigger jackstands.......

And I'm not taking the monte apart, just a water pump and radiator, it runs a bit hot after a few miles of driving... Also going to install the aluminum body bushings, which I need to do before the cage gets put in it.... I'm actually going to keep that as a driver during the build.....

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post

when you have a lift, cars rarely sit on jackstands..... they get to sit on dollys, so you can roll it onto the lift
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

That canopy looks great.

There are much better options that u-coat it. Since it's out doors - UV is more of a concern that typical garage floors. Talk do your local sherwin williams dealer - is that who you use for all the rentals (I do and I thought we talked about that before) they have industrial / marine epoxy that's a two part - it's used on a lot of factory floors, can be mixed with shark grip for better traction on super smooth floors.

Another option is a penetrating epoxy that is clear - it seals the pores of the concrete so nothing will sink in - but you can't really tell it's there.

- best garage epoxy floor paint how to links -- solvent free and water based epoxy resin floor systems - help
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I've had a hoist for years, first in the Michigan shop and now here. As an Old Fart I couldn't live without it. There are things that I simply wouldn't tackle on the floor. Also, I can't do much with my head lower than my chest with my crummy heart so a lot of floor stuff is really off the table.

Anyhow - CONGRATS, Alex! I know you're gonna love it. My safety tip - once the wheels clear the floor give the car a mighty shake. Better to have it fall a foot or so than from full up. I've never had one move on my twin post here but I did on my one post on MI. - just a little but it got my attention.

Dan

Comment

Figure I'd through a little update up on this, got most of the sand leveled out today, this weekend was my wife's birthday weekend so, I've been pretty business doing stuff with her, but did get a chance to do some of the grading to get the bricks at the right level with the concrete, here's a pic of some of the work.... Should be up and running on the lift sometime this week!!!!!...

Last edited by TC; November 11, 2012, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                    I'm also thinking about epoxying the floor, anyone use that U-Coat-It stuff??.......
                    The folks at Sherwin Williams have told us not to use the epoxy stuff on driveways; the sun kills it.
                    They insist that for driveways that the xylene (solvent) based paint is the best product.

Comment

Originally posted by yellomalibu View Post
                      The folks at Sherwin Williams have told us not to use the epoxy stuff on driveways; the sun kills it.
                      They insist that for driveways that the xylene (solvent) based paint is the best product.
                      Yap that's what they told me to.....

Comment

Here's to you TC

Hoping this lastest procurement provides many uplifting experiences.

congrats!
                        That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Finished up laying the brick today, now I just need to do the cuts and concrete a boarder in on the open side.... Coming along......

Comment

Looking good.
                            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierL98GTA View Post
                              Looking good.
                              Thanks man!!, I just wish the days were longer.......

Comment

Its not level anywhere??
                                2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                                First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                                2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                                2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Working...
                                X