No announcement yet.

Anyone wanna guess on this package.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Squirrel is right, definitely not a 2004R. Sure looks like a Th350C or maybe a Th200 but not an overdrive. For reference here is a 2004R(left) next to a short shaft Th400(right). The long shaft 400 fits the B bodies like the Imp, the short shaft fits the F, X, and A bodies.

Easy pan identification for RWD trans.

Last edited by Thumpin455; October 1, 2012, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
      The transmission is a TH350C (lock up TH350). That's why it looks just like a TH350, but it has that four pin electric connector for the converter lockup wiring. That's what I would expect behind a 1979 vintage engine.

19Lxxxxxxx means it's from a 1979 chevrolet car assembled at the Los Angeles plant.

xxxxxDNH the engine is a 305, but this suffix code says it's a 2bbl engine from a Camaro.
      Doesn't the TH350 with the lockup only have a two prong connector?? I just pulled one out of a truck and that is what it had.........

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
        You cheat
        I'll guess - 624 or something heads, almost guaranteed to have cracked exhaust seats?
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
          I'll guess - 624 or something heads, almost guaranteed to have cracked exhaust seats?
          No idea what heads on it and condition. If everything else is o.k, that would be the least of my worries I should think. Lots of local stuff available for dirt cheap.
          Why dance when you can rock and roll?

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
            Doesn't the TH350 with the lockup only have a two prong connector?? I just pulled one out of a truck and that is what it had.........
            Nope, the lockup connector on the 350C is the same as the one on the 700R4.

If the th350 is from the early 70s, it could have a TCS switch which has a two prong connector

also...the TH200 does not look like a TH350, it's similar but the details are all different. A TH250C does look just like a TH350C, except it also has a band adjustment screw on the housing, above the dipstick hole.
            Last edited by squirrel; October 2, 2012, 07:06 AM.
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Nope, the lockup connector on the 350C is the same as the one on the 700R4.

If the th350 is from the early 70s, it could have a TCS switch which has a two prong connector

also...the TH200 does not look like a TH350, it's similar but the details are all different. A TH250C does look just like a TH350C, except it also has a band adjustment screw on the housing, above the dipstick hole.
              Good info right there.

Comment

Originally posted by patrickth View Post
                No idea what heads on it and condition. If everything else is o.k, that would be the least of my worries I should think. Lots of local stuff available for dirt cheap.
                sorry, that came out wrong. I had a negative reaction to late 70's SBC's... we won't even ask about my reaction to late 70's Furds. lol. Squirrel's number chasing and the pics indicate it may not be box stock, which could turn out good!

Comment

So is it a good transmission for general purpose useage, assuming its healthy? Mechanic said fluid was burnt, but worked just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                    sorry, that came out wrong. I had a negative reaction to late 70's SBC's... we won't even ask about my reaction to late 70's Furds. lol. Squirrel's number chasing and the pics indicate it may not be box stock, which could turn out good!
                    I don't mind. I have a ton of paint, already paid for and that is an area I feel most comfortable with these days. I am thinking of painting the car, wowing the tire kickers and anything that starts and runs is probably good enough to get it sold.

Comment

HUA - if it's running, they will come! Nothing bums out a sale like "Needs a starter" (and an engine to go with it). My favorite is "Needs timing chain" personally. (and everything behind that). Add a digit for running!

I have nothing in particular against 305's, just the early heads. My dimestore hero author Dulcich built a pretty snotty one for cheap that made surprisingly good numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by patrickth View Post
                        So is it a good transmission for general purpose useage, assuming its healthy? Mechanic said fluid was burnt, but worked just fine.
                        If it were healthy, it would be an ok transmission. I would assume it is not healthy, but that's only because I've taken apart a lot of TH350s
                        My fabulous web page

Comment

If it were healthy, it would be an ok transmission. I would assume it is not healthy, but that's only because I've taken apart a lot of TH350s
                          I have an itch to take one apart anyway. Might as well be this one to see if its voodoo magic to fix them or just paying attention to details.

Comment

There's no magic, but you do need to be able to spot worn parts. The Ron Sessions book should be enough to get you through it.
                            My fabulous web page

Comment

There's no magic, but you do need to be able to spot worn parts. The Ron Sessions book should be enough to get you through it.

I will look for that. So far, just hanging out on u-tube to see whats available. Feeling chipper today, might actually drive out and pick up the tranny, carb and distributor if the mechanic is going to be where its being stored. Bought a kit to rebuild carb yesterday anyway. Been more than a few years since I have put a kit in a quadrajet.

Comment

Working...
                              X