Anyone wanna guess on this package.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone wanna guess on this package.

I just traded for an engine and tranny to put in the 66 Impala so I could make a driver out of it and get it down the road. They are not sure what it came out of, but think it might have been a 78-79 El Camino with a th200 4r. I can't quite make out the numbers and won't get a chance for a few days to get up where its at right now. Probably a 305...

Anyone have any insight. There is a quadrajet and HEI (not in the pics) and a flex plate that will come with it.

I tried adjusting contrast and cropping to bring up the numbers, but can't quite make them out. Hoping someone is familiar with the EL Camino's and might recognize them.
    Attached Files
    Why dance when you can rock and roll?

Need to see a pic of the trany pan... Also on the back of the block on top of where the trany bolts bolt in there will be a cast in casting number with 8 digits, that is the block casting number, get a pic of that then we can tell you what it is.......

Comment

If I remeber right the drivers side rear of the block will have 5.0 if its a 305. 5.7 if its a 350.
      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Thanks for response. Don't have any more pics. My back is out so it would be absolute misery getting out there to look for myself. I had a guy go out to look and write some numbers down, but he left the envelope on the block with the numbers he wrote down. I can't ask him to go look again. The vehicle drove on its own power to shop, so either way it goes, I got something to throw in the Impala anyway for dirt cheap.

Comment

On the transmission, didn't 200's come with BOP and Chevy bolt patterns? That one looks like a Chevy only, may be
          a 700. The pan is a the easy way to tell.

Comment

Originally posted by ImpalaSam View Post
            On the transmission, didn't 200's come with BOP and Chevy bolt patterns? That one looks like a Chevy only, may be
            a 700. The pan is a the easy way to tell.
            These are the only other pics I have of tranny. I will just have to wait till I can get out there I guess. The engine and tranny were pulled so owner could put a 383 in there and a new tranny. He basically doesn't know much, just having everything done by others to get it done. I traded him a set of old Bose speakers and the amp that went with them, because I haven't used them in years.
            Attached Files

Comment

The four pin plug on the left, makes me think it's a 700.
              Lon. HazelGreen Ala.

Comment

The transmission is a TH350C (lock up TH350). That's why it looks just like a TH350, but it has that four pin electric connector for the converter lockup wiring. That's what I would expect behind a 1979 vintage engine.

19Lxxxxxxx means it's from a 1979 chevrolet car assembled at the Los Angeles plant.

xxxxxDNH the engine is a 305, but this suffix code says it's a 2bbl engine from a Camaro.
                Last edited by squirrel; October 1, 2012, 09:02 AM.
                My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                  The transmission is a TH350C (lock up TH350). That's why it looks just like a TH350, but it has that four pin electric connector for the converter lockup wiring. That's what I would expect behind a 1979 vintage engine.

19Lxxxxxxx means it's from a 1979 chevrolet car assembled at the Los Angeles plant.

xxxxxDNH the engine is a 305, but this suffix code says it's a 2bbl engine from a Camaro.

Thanks. Makes perfect sense from what the owner thought, but wasn't sure. He is a hard core Pontiac guy and noot sure about history of the El Camino.

Comment

oh...and sorry I didn't "guess"....
                    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                      oh...and sorry I didn't "guess"....
                      You cheat
                      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I ran one of those in my old van, put over 130,000 miles on it.

The wiring/control of the lockup is pretty simple, and makes a decent difference in mileage.
                        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

305/350

about are unloved of combination as can be.... that said, a running car is far more valuable than a non-running one.
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                            305/350

about are unloved of combination as can be.... that said, a running car is far more valuable than a non-running one.
                            I am being stubborn is all. A 1966 Impala with no bondo and no rust to speak of is not going away at a loss for me. So I will keep trading, plodding along adding things or whatever til I find the sweet spot where it is going down the road and I haven't taken a hit. :-). My pride is at stake, plus I don't like the idea of my wife ever being able to say, "I told you so".

Comment

I still have some other options too if I can find some frame mounts for the OHC-6. It seems to fit just fine if I just tweek the oil breather pipe a bit.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X