CV6 Enterprise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CV6 Enterprise

A few weeks ago I watched the 360* series about the Enterprise (CV6/CVN6) on TV. Great series. I know that the crew were a very tight knit bunch with a great fondness of the ship and greatly saddened at her being cut up for scrap in Hoboken after the war. I'm sure that we probably have some members here who had family members serve on her during WWII. After seeing the show I thoght that anyone here who knows of someone who served on that ship would be interested in knowing that a bit of her still exists. The next town over from me in Rivervale, NJ is the stern plate with the name Enterprise still attached. I left my camera in my car which is in the body shop at the moment, when I get it back, I'll post some pictures.

The story behind the stern plate is apperently one of the shipyard workers who both helped build her and cut her up was devistated at her being uncerimoniously cut up. He had the balls to take the stern plate home to save it along with some of the teak wood deck. I was in the Rivervale BS troop 335 as a asst scoutmast. The town had moved the stern plate from a local ball field to the municipal center and had a dedication for it. Gov Corzine was there along with some of the vets who served on her. The vets were deeply touched.
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

Re: CV6 Enterprise

I have always enjoyed the history of the CV-6 Enterprise. I am a fan of Star Trek, but actually researched the history of the name and found the history of the CV-6 very interesting and was very pleased by the Battlr: 360 series.

Ryan
    Ryan's Cars in Barns Blog
    www.carsinbarns.blogspot.com

Comment

An upcoming and very interesting story to be told is the inactivation and decommissioning of the USS Enterprise, CVN 65, our first nuclear powered carrier.
      1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

I got to walk the deck of the ship many years ago as a small kid. somehow it makes it bigger than life. I'm glad to see that they did something to remember it by.

Comment

Working...
        X