Another "talk me out of it" thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another "talk me out of it" thread.

I've been having thought of making a home for a 500 cadillac/TH400 combination in a lightweight 2WD jeep......always pictured a CJ5 or CJ7.

But then this pops up within 3 miles.

1950 Willys Overland anyone?

What say you guys, Yea or Nay?

Last edited by STINEY; October 2, 2012, 07:37 AM.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

wonder if the body will fit on a cherokee or grand cherokee frame and running gear....

IMO it seems like a lot of work....leave it for the rock crawlers and mud boggers.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

It's cool but looks like it would be a bit heavy - I'd hold out for a CJ5 or 7.

Comment

All I have really been thinking of is finding a titled shell, I DO NOT want 4WD and the added complexity. Tube gasser style front suspension, ultra simple no frills is the style I have in mind.

2x3 box frame, etc.

Good point, I wonder what the shell of that would weigh?
        Last edited by STINEY; October 2, 2012, 07:42 AM.

Comment

hm
          well - I'm usually the voice of reason but I don't know what your purpose is with this thing.

Weight won't be an issue for a 500 cadillac mill or a TH400. But what will it take for any of that to fit on a scout frame?

Will you make the 4x4 work? or make a sand dragster out of it in 2wd mode? If sand dragster is the plan - no interior is no concern.

four fiberglass seats and have fun on the dunes with no regard for street legalness?

or - are you thinking this is a Sunny afternoon family hauler with a transplanted modern interior, ac, and rhino lined floors?

no help at all am I.
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Hmm indeed!

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
            hm
            well - I'm usually the voice of reason but I don't know what your purpose is with this thing..
            Me either! Haha!

Weight won't be an issue for a 500 cadillac mill or a TH400. But what will it take for any of that to fit on a scout frame?.
            Scout frame is viewed as "extra parts".

Will you make the 4x4 work? or make a sand dragster out of it in 2wd mode? If sand dragster is the plan - no interior is no concern..
            No 4x4. You are real close on sand dragster 2wd. No interior except for thin aluminum panels, if that.

four fiberglass seats and have fun on the dunes with no regard for street legalness?.
            Real close..........only bare minimum for street legalness. As in legal enough to plate, insure, and drive 300 yards on pavement at 25 mph.

or - are you thinking this is a Sunny afternoon family hauler with a transplanted modern interior, ac, and rhino lined floors?.
            Completely wrong vibe here. See previous option!

no help at all am I.
            It would basically be replacing THIS with something a little more different.

Last edited by STINEY; October 2, 2012, 07:55 AM.

Comment

I think it'd make a cool family cruiser, JMO.
              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

nice chop on the willys. But they're still rather homely looking.

You definitely need another project, because there's still some room in your barn?
                My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I think it would be bad ass, rear engine Toro/Eldo trans axle as a pusher straight axle up front. That would move some sand!

Comment

given the un street legalness or full interior-ness..... that makes it way more usable.

The scout frame and running gear go straight up on CL after the body is winched up into the rafters of the barn......

Look at welderseries - they make everything you need to hang a 9" from your 2x3 frame, at very reasonable prices, as well as engine and trans mount stuff. Speedway would probably have all needed front end stuff.

Comment

The chop DOES help a bunch, doesn't it?

I do have an empty haymow....... and a hoist......

Those Scout axles have to have some value for the craigslist crowd, for sure. Enough to make a dent in the $750 anyways. Frame too.

If I only lived in the desert, I'd have no need of barns. Oh well.

Comment

the jetboat is short - you can hang the willy's body over it in the same barn stall.....

Comment

Or permanently mount it?

JetWillys!

Comment

Gasser! That would be cool. Keep the buggy for the sand.
                            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Never mind. I didn't read the ad before posting up. I thought it was a pick-up. But if your not afraid of a saws all , well then.....
                              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
                              X