Lets Build a Car (in theory)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets Build a Car (in theory)

So with all the different tastes and wackadoodle ideas floating around here I was thinking...

What if we were all to get together and build a car, no budget BUT it has to be from parts sourced from Craigslist or other sites that sell used parts.

The first car is posted, and a basic idea put out there, your job is to source parts in your area from those sites to build the car. We can hash out custom touches.

Once the car is "built" Someone else post a car to build and a theam for us to source parts for.

So for the first car. A 1953 Pontiac Catalina witha straight 8.

I would build this car as a driver. I would like to keep the 8 in it but am not stuck with that. Maybe a I6 witha turbo but it has to a poncho mill. Transmission and rear end are open to suggestions as is any custom touches to the body, frenched tail lights, headlights, shaved and so on. Color is open for debate as well. No skulls, no flames, no dingleballs or hores blankets.

It must be lowered maybe bagged. I want whites with black steel rims, chrome trim rings and bullet center caps and lug nuts.

Flame throwers are a must.

interior...white roll and tuck with off colored piping.

So, what can you find in your area

If you can do the custom work like frenching, what would you do?

Box the frame?

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

having participated in another forum "project" I'm not sure it would end well.... But I like the thought.
    (remember Seth's faithful lifter and cam killing journey to Maxton???)

I sure do like the lines of that car, and the idea of the Redball - moving rust free iron from the SW to anywhere else is just plain genius.

Keep the straight 8, megasquirt it, add a turbo (later) and an overdrive auto. Bags would be cool if budget allows. Improved brakes and steering would be a must.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

No, this aint for real...I remeber the debacle with Seth and also the guy on the old HRM forum that took everyones parts and vanished...This is just a game...for fun.

No budget here! build away!
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

tuscon car with snow in the photo.

that steel must be incredibly perfect.

with all those parts already there, I like the modern update idea, more restore than hack, keeping the engine in it if possible. I only got to look at a straight eight.
        sat for many years. junked car outside. poking around found solid copper wires covered in cloth and a cooling system that never leaked ..even while freezable.

if that is not bulletproof, it is even stronger than that.
        Last edited by Barry Donovan; October 2, 2012, 09:32 AM.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

It is in New Mexico...it snows there..

Comment

the only folk with wackadoodle ideas is Remy. The rest are as normal as a democrat
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

If money is no object, then it gets a Butler Performance EFI engine with twin turbos on an IAII block, dial in as much power as you want. Stuff a 4L80E behind it, and upgrade the suspension to something with disc that can handle power.

I would love to have that thing, but $6500 is steep for me. I dont mind straight 8s, but I like the engine that came out a couple years later better.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                the only folk with wackadoodle ideas is Remy. The rest are as normal as a democrat
                Denile is a river in Egypt...

Comment

hmmmmm...

french the headlights, french a caddy light on each side in the back. keep the straight 8, adapt an od trans , drum brake explorer rear. rebuild the stock front with lowered spindles, keep the drums.

low and slow-ish. put a cam in that straight 8, a multi carb intake, and duals and smithy's mufflers, or no mufflers and 2" straight pipes...

lose the center of the grille between the spears, the make the spears "float". wide whites, chrome reverse wheels, no caps.

tuck-n-roll white and black 2 tone.

shiney up all the chrome on the hood and trunk, only thing is i am stuck on the color. i am thinking an old school bronze color.... hmmmmm
                  Last edited by 1badmonkey; October 2, 2012, 12:10 PM.
                  Charles

Comment

also digging on the vw trar in the back ground
                    Charles

Comment

Originally posted by 1badmonkey View Post
                      hmmmmm...

french the headlights, french a caddy light on each side in the back. keep the straight 8, adapt an od trans , drum brake explorer rear. rebuild the stock front with lowered spindles, keep the drums.

low and slow-ish. put a cam in that straight 8, a multi carb intake, and duals and smithy's mufflers, or no mufflers and 2" straight pipes...

lose the center of the grille between the spears, the make the spears "float". wide whites, chrome reverse wheels, no caps.

tuck-n-roll white and black 2 tone.

shiney up all the chrome on the hood and trunk, only thing is i am stuck on the color. i am thinking an old school bronze color.... hmmmmm

we are on the same wave length here...

I was mulling over a color, maybe a nice vivid green, maybe bronze...metallic tan with a dark brown roof....maybe lay some heavy flake the roof

Comment

kinda like this

only a little different
                        Charles

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                          No, this aint for real...I remeber the debacle with Seth and also the guy on the old HRM forum that took everyones parts and vanished...This is just a game...for fun.

No budget here! build away!
                          van.

Needs rocket launchers
                          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                          X