comments on these caster camber gauges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• comments on these caster camber gauges

I've got my front end back together and need to set alignment. Any comments on these two gauges? I had my eye on the Goracin because it was $40 cheaper.

or

Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

I'm too cheap to plunk down that kind of money for something seamingly simple with a bubble in it, but I would like to know how well these things work too.
    www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

IIRC those are the same type of units Jeff Smith used in a CC article two or three or four years ago.
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

thanks for the link. they dont look much different for that extra money, but are those made to just stick to the steel wheel? do you think they will work on the rotor or drum if you have aluminum wheels?

Comment

Those are fine, I use a Longacre.

If you're really cheap, go over to Harbor Freight and buy a digital level. The short ones.
          I'm still learning

Comment

Funny this post popped up today. I ordered the Go Racing gauge last week. It's suppose to be in my mailbox today.

Anotheridiot, these have 3 magnets that hold it to the hub. Remove the grease cap and stick it on the machined surface of the hub. If it can't be mounted like that, they make extension that threads on to the spindle with a flat surface to mount the gauge. Or make your own out of nut with a flat piece of steel welded to the end.

Bob, I thought along the same lines. I did buy a digital read out angle finder but since I'm not experienced enough into the finer points and so on, the problems I found were these. I found it too easy to get inconsistent readings, even slightly moving the piece of angle iron I cut to fit between the lip on the rim. I was going to read caster right off the BJ studs with a piece of steel and the angle finder. The problems I saw was that I don't have a lift or rack to put the car on. I really wasn't going to be able to slide under the car since my new springs and relocated UCAs effectively lowered the front by 1.5". Also since the upper and lower BJ studs are not in the same vertical plane. It looked to me again, just slightly moving the steel was going to skew the reading and I would have to duplicate the same exact position on the other side to get a true reading. I don't think I'm that good...especially the first time!
            Last edited by Huskinhano; October 10, 2012, 12:33 PM.
            Tom
            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Those are fine and actually an upgrade to the one I used to get payed to use in the late 70's.
              I have my friends living in my garage for the last 3 years they work great.

Check JoesRacingProducts, I think theres is even cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post
                Funny this post popped up today. I ordered the Go Racing gauge last week. It's suppose to be in my mailbox today.

Anotheridiot, these have 3 magnets that hold it to the hub. Remove the grease cap and stick it on the machined surface of the hub. If it can't be mounted like that, they make extension that thread on to the spindle with a flat surface to mount the gauge. Or make your own out of nut with a flat piece of steel welded to the end.

Bob, I thought along the same lines. I did buy a digital read out angle finder but since I'n not experienced enough into the finer points and so on the problems I found were this. I found it too easy to get inconsistant readings, even slightly moving the piece of angle iron I cut to fit between the lip on the rim. I was going to read caster right off the BJ studs with a piece of steel and the angle finder. The problems I saw was that Indon't have a lift or rack to put the car on. I really wasn't going to be able to slide under the car since my new sprins and related UCAs effectively lowered the front by 1.5". Also since the upper and lower BJ studs are not in the same verticle plain, it looked to me again, just slightly moving the steel was going to skew the reading and I would have to duplicate the same exact position on the other side to get a true reading. I don't think I'm that good...especially the first time!
                I too tried to measure at the ball joint studs on my Mustang,even made the tool,PETA,Im too fat the cars too low and I cant see the flippen leval!

Comment

Forget about the bubble gauges, all your getting with those is a "looks good, is good" reading......

This is what I use, it may be a little more than the bubble gauges, but I don't think it's to bad since it is a digital gauge that will give you exact readings..........

Comment

TC, that's a nice set up. I did look at it but it's more then I want to spend at the moment...especially if I fubar this up completely.
                    Tom
                    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

i have the 2nd one.
                      i dont not have any level spot in my garage or driveway to actually use it.
                      i have aluminum rims so i cant stick it to the rim. they sell adapters for them so you can thread it onto the spindle. i was thinking maybe i could remove the cotter pin and the castle that goes over the spindle nut, leaving the wheel on ,but it didnt work out, i dont remember why.
                      no matter where i jack my car up from, even directly under the lower control arm, it is not at ride hieght. the sindle drops an inch or so.

Comment

maybe you should do this -

I sell those steel plates for $50.00 for 4
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

My garage floor appear pretty flat but I'll double check. My caster/camber plates are 3mil black garbage bags folded over. Ever step on one of them on a concrete floor? slicker then cow snot. Wheels turn real easy by hand!

Hey 1931s/x, did you think about some cheap vinyl floor tiles? I saw that on youtube. The guy drove his car on the spot in his garage where he wanted to do his alignment. He marked where the tires were then used a water level with the floor tiles to level the spots. He sprinkled salt the tile for the front tires so they would turn easy. When I ordered my gauge I was asking the guy about aluminum wheels if I couldn't get the gauge seated on the hub. He said they sell an adapter that threads on to the spindle but he said you could make you own by getting getting a nut and welding a piece of steel on it for the gauge to mount.
                          Last edited by Huskinhano; October 13, 2012, 09:02 PM.
                          Tom
                          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Working...
                          X