Rusty Olds Does the Jalopy Showdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusty Olds Does the Jalopy Showdown

Rusty Olds??? Rusty Olds you say? Who is this “Rusty Olds” you might be thinking to yourself. Well let me back up a couple of months but first you might want to grab a snack and something to drink……good, now all settled in??

A couple of months ago, right around the Detroit Autorama a HAMB lurker who I’ve never had any contact with PM’s me and tells me about a garage in the ghetto of Philly with some old cars in it, one of which is a fat fendered Oldsmobile convertible and asks if I’m interested. I really wasn’t looking for another car just like Big Olds, I had planned on doing a late 20’s, early 30’s Olds roadster, BUT when opportunity comes knocking…..so he passed along the women’s phone number that owns all the cars in said garage and I called her. Our first conversation went wonderful and she said she’d have her son send some photos.

Two weeks pass and still no photos so I call her and she didn’t realize her son didn’t send the photos so I talked her through sending her first email with attachments. I received 3 photos of a 46-47 Olds convert. To say I was excited was an understatement. The car looked in great shape BUT I wasn’t ready to commit without seeing the rear of the car, one of the front fenders, the floor or the interior. All of which weren’t being shown in any of the photos she sent.

Shortly thereafter I headed out to the Lonestar RoundUp and the only reason I am mentioning this is it gets freaky. I’m standing in front of the Austin Speed Shop during the “Garage” party and this guy walks up to me and introduces himself. Low and behold it’s the HAMB lurker who gave me the Rusty Olds lead! In all the many PM’s we exchanged during the previous two weeks, neither one of us mentioned to the other that we were going to TX.

Anyway, I mention that I really would like some more detail photos and he offered to see what he could do although he is not digital camera or computer literate SO he dragged his girlfriend Sophia over to the garage and she took some great photos and sent them to me the day after I got home from the RoundUp! I liked what I saw and called up Eleanor and had a very easy purchase price agreed upon conversation. I paid “Groucho money” for the car.

Since I was heading to PA for the Jalopy Showdown in mid-May I asked her if she’d keep the car till then, she agreed and I sent her a nice deposit. At this point I had made the decision in my mind that making two trips to PA and spending that extra money for fuel and tolls was just not worth it to take Big Olds to the Showdown. I knew there’s always next year.

So fast forward to this past Thursday afternoon. After work I drove to Ralfs56 place where he already had a borrowed truck and trailer and loaded up my stuff in the truck swearing to Scott that we were only going to be gone a weekend…..yep, doesn’t everyone travel with four coolers?

Then it’s off to HoBoy56’s place to pick up his old truck. He’s working in PA for a year and wanted his shop truck there but had no way of transporting it. A couple of weeks ago he posted a threaded asking for a HAMB rely and low and behold we were traveling within 10 miles of his place so it ended up working out great. The truck unfortunately did not start so we had to push it to the trailer and come-along-ed it on. Luckly Scott’s strong. 

Yep, the bed was full of stuff as well.

Not much else happened on the way Thursday night. Ended up driving till past midnight and stopped in Beaver Falls at a Patel owned hole in the wall.

Next morning started out early as we wanted to be in Philly at noon……yeah right LOL
    There are quite a few tunnels you travel thru when your on the toll road in PA…..oh yeah, toll roads SUCK and I have no clue how folks in OH and PA deal with the cost all the time!

Just playing with the camera and tripod

Saw these sweet Caddy’s heading east

When we got to HoBoy56’s, (Joe) work we unloaded the truck in record time….so fast I didn’t even get a photo of it rolling off the truck and right into this spot. Joe’s a happy camper and within 5 minutes of us pulling in the parking lot we were pulling out.

Stop for fuel knowing that we were about 30 miles from downtown Philly and didn’t want to have to deal with it in the city. Good thing we did to cuz when Scott got out to pump the fuel he head a hissing noise. Low and behold the front tire had something in it! SHIT! Luck was on our side though as we were at a full service station.

As the guys were tending to the tire and plugging it a little old lady smashes into the rear of the trailer! No real damage to the trailer but the lower half of herbumper got scraped. Stupid people.

This is what they pulled outta the tire….Joe, any employees missing a grill bit??

Of course lots of contruction with freeway entrances closed.

All along I have been keeping Eleanor abreast of our arrival time and at 5:01pm we pulled up to the garage. A full 5 hours later then planned. Philly traffic is as bad a CA. 1 ½ hours to go 15 miles!.....toward the city, not out of the city like Detroit would be during rush hour, and even then it doesn’t get that bad.

Anyway, when we pulled up Scott didn’t even have the truck stopped and I jumped out. How cool is this site? A garage full of old treasures. Rusty Olds was actually in the back corner behind a few cars but Eleanor had arranged for him to be brought up to the front for easy out for me.

A few of the others that are available

SOLD

There is more in the yard behind the building and will be brought inside as room allows

We pushed the KarmaGina (sp?) out so get better access to Rusty Olds

And backed the trailer right up. The only issue was one tire that was shot and off the rim and another one that barely held air

Used a jack to help move the rear portion

Mr HAMB Luker stopped by to see if he could help and to make sure we were going to be ok. I’m not going to out him cuz I’m not sure he wants to deal with a lot of PM’s and stuff ut if he wants he can do it himself.

The area was “straight up ghetto”. When I handed Eleanor the money outta the envelope and she counted it, I tried to hand her the envelope to put the money back in and she took the money, folded it in half and stuffed it in her bra. She then stated to me “looks like I don’t have nothing, right? “ She was the coolest lady. We hit it off on the phone and continued the warm feelings right thru the whole process.

I’d like to add my many, many thanks to Mr Lurker for thinking of me when he saw Rusty Olds. I appreciate all yours and Sophia’s efforta dn I’m thrilled I made a couple new friends. I look forward to hanging out with both of you at an event real soon.

Took us about 1 ¼ hours to load then bid our farewells and headed out.

We had about a 3 hour ride to the Jalopy Showdown ahead of us. We had plans on stopping at Zach’s place on the way but because we were running so far behind we had to postpone those plans till next time.

I’d also like to add my thank to HotRodSurfer who offered to come help us load but because of us running late and his evening plans he wasn’t able to BUT I really appreciate him making the offer and effort. Thanks bud!

On the way outta Philly I snapped a few shots

While traveling I got many phone calls from pals wondering where we were cuz most thought we’d be there mid afternoon…so did we. Thanks for the concern guys, you guys always make me feel special.

When we arrived we were warmly greeted by everyone, who then helped us unload the truck and stick everything in the tent that Megan and Matt had already set up for us. We were camping with the Rochester boys and they had a great tented kitchen area set up and a wonderful fire going.

We relaxed for the rest of the night around the campfire with our friends.

Megan eating a porkchop snack

Lots of merriment

Visiting other encampments

Slick50 and DeVilleGal hanging out as well. WONERFUL seeing you both again

JohnnyLongHair sporting his new boots…..wonder if he’s going to try to take them back after the Showdown? Think they’ll notice the mudd??

Delicious pizza mountain pies were made on the campfire

After just a couple of hours these boots were history for the rest of the weekend. Time to bust out the warm, dry snowmobile boots for the duration.

Don’t remember what time everyone started to turn but it was late and reminded me of The Waltons. Everyone was in their tents and bidding everyone else a good night. Kinda a down home family feel, it was neat.

Re: Rusty Olds Does the Jalopy Showdown

The next morning, Saturday, the sun was out and the sky was bright blue and it was an early one with folks firing up their rides for the short drive to the infield. The Jalopy Showdown has begun!!!

Before Meagan and Matt took the roadster to the infield though they were kind enough to give me a lift to the gas station to fill up my gas cans for the go-cart. The truck and trailer with Rusty Olds was parked for the weekend and not going anywhere.

Megan hopped in the rumble which had no seat cuz of space concerns for the trip. Yep it was a nipplely ride

But a great way to clear the morning cobwebs outta your head

Cut through the other camping area and checked it out on the way back. LOTS of room, especially if it wasn’t so wet.

Fueled the go-cart, suited up for mudd…

….then hit the track. Snuck in the back way and was able to get two laps before I got kicked off

Puddles like this common all over.

Made a pass on the inside return road I guess you might call it then put it away for awhile cuz the area started to get crowded with people

Had fun and I knew I’d be able to ride a lot more later in the afternoon after the large crowds left

Once I got cleaned up a handful of us headed to the infield to check out the swap meet and some cars. The swap has really expanded. LOTS of folks walking around carry new treasures.

Megan wanted the blue one but it was too small for the girls

Stopped by Sawzall’s spot and he had a few Olds trinkets for me. Not only a few dash pieces BUT he still had the original Big Olds rear bumper that I had given him many years ago and he wasn’t going to use SO he passed it back to me to use on Rusty Olds! How cool is that! THANK YOU sweetie for the stash.

Checked out some rides

Including Tony’s

Than Coop31 introduced himself. It was a pleasure meeting you. I had the opportunity to check out your car later, totally AWESOME, you should be very proud.

Coop31’s coupe

The infamous little barn find roadster

This one had some documented history on the windshield

Saw this car at the GG Hershey event a couple of years ago. I LOVE it!

Ran into Spike AKA HotRodPhotos

Folks continued to roll in all morning

I really liked this wagon

Ran into 40Luv and copped a hug. GREAT seeing you again sweetie.

I really liked the color on this

One of the many highlights of the event

FltBlk and Sawzall walking around. WONDEFRFUL seeing both you boys.

Hot Rod Surplus’s

The track time show stopper.

Comment

Stopped and saw my old pal Chevsotolac. He had a special Oldsmobile piece tucked away for me AND promised he’s still looking for the ‘48 Chevy convertible passenger door stainless trim for me. GREAT seeing you again sweetie. Thanks for the present.

His running buddy had homemade brownies with him and insisted I try them. I was forced I tell ya…forced

Checked out some more cars while we made our way over to the tower for the noon Meet & Greet

I climbed to the top to get some overhead shots

All the cars that want onto the infield must cross at this access point.

This was the only watering hole that was off limits as to not get the freshly built tower muddy before the wood has a chance to season. Everyone respected the wishes of Lynn Paxton.

ScaryLarry the man of the hour

The boys at the entrance to the infield

Megan and Matt

Had the extreme pleasure of meeting SandyBeaches and GoodWood for the first time. It was GREAT meeting you two and having the opportunity to hang out and get to know each other. Thanks for the knives sweetie. They will certainly come in handy.
      GoodWood, SandyBeaches, “Thelma, Louise”, WhiskeyRunner, and Ralfs56.

Rockstar’s get asked for autographs

By this time folks started showing up for the Meet & Greet and Megan and I started passing out nametags and a few of the last of the little HAMB stickers I had

Nappy & Sawzall

Sumo

BigChief and Ralfs56

Carmarket and his lovely wife

Retro54

CruznBrucie, GREAT seeing you again sweetie. Hopefully next time we can hang out longer

ChevyGirlRox, SandyBeaches, CoupeDevil, GasketGirl and HotRodLadyCrusr. Wish more HAMB gals would have showed up at the M&G

SdfS10, Me and MazdaSlam

Nice M&G turnout

I’d like to thank everyone for attending. I’m just bummed that it got cut short by the start of the drivers meeting. I wish I would have had more time to meet more folks. Next year we’ll do the M&G alittle earlier.

The drivers meeting started with Larry and Lynn going over the rules and guidelines. Basicly stay outta this one mud puddle and if you take out a portion of the fence, you bought it.

The Rocket was going all day

Megan getting ready to take the roadster over to get in line for track time

The bands were GREAT

Slick50 and Clark getting ready to take the first lap

Clark driving the 999 roadster with me in the passenger seat holding my camera with a baggie wrapped around it. Everyone once in a while you can notice me wiping the mudd of the front trying to make sure the lens isn’t covered.

What a ride! Thanks Clark!!!

After cleaning up once again Scott and I decided to make sandwiches for lunch and take them to the bleachers to watch the laps

Matt2 AKA Tinman took these two and I just learned how to remixed them together.

Black Roadster with the green wheels video

Ran into Action Girl and had a nice chat. Wonderful seeing you again sweetie. Glad the business is going well and I’m looking forward to watching your paint progress.

Having fun Tim??

Watched some more cars

Comment

By early afternoon the infield was looking like the track but no one minded

About now the Rochester boys said they wanted to check out Rusty Olds up close and personal so we all headed over to where he was parked on the trailer

The stainless is all there and looks great

The trunk floor is AWESOME and under that seat back is the top boot

The top canvas is still there but I was afraid to raise the top incase I couldn’t get it down for the rest of the ride home

We watched quite a few cars from this location. It was actually a great spot to do so as you got a view of two turns at once

Gas Pumper

I then got a call from Haring who had arrived and we made plans to meet so I headed back to the infield area. While I was waiting to cross…

Finally got the opportunity to meet Don Haring in person. It was wonderful meeting you. I’m glad I got a chance to hang out with you and your pals for abit and chat. Hope to see you again soon.

As Don and I were chatting we had a great vantage point for watching the cars leave the infield….

Or enter as the case my be

Was able to cop a HUGE hug from my pal Big John. GREAT seeing you again sweetie. See ya soon!

Stopped to watch the One Arm Bandit sling some paint. Nice meeting you bud.

Clark taking the 999 roadster out again

Then one of the other guys drove it

JohnnyLonghair looks too clean….we’re going to have to do something about that…………..

Comment

But first….Megan thinks we all need to “Ride the Rocket”….something I’ve always wanted to do while at the event but never got around to it

So we decided now was the time, paid our whopping 50 cents and hopped on board.
          I got the front seat

Megan and Matt and Tin Indian and GasketGirl

He takes us over to the main camping area. Looks like we’re not moving but in reality the tractor is flying

We pass a couple of cars that were leaving…

Past some campsites…

And deep into the woods. The tractor driver was a madman behind the wheel and the more we laughed and screamed the crazier he got!

Back out onto the main road we passed Sawzall pulling out. See you soon sweetie! xoxox

He then took us onto the track

As long as you weren’t driving pretty much anything goes

If a person was at the event and didn’t have a car or one that he wanted to take on the track, riding the rocket or the big green bus on the track was the second best thing for capturing the experience.

It was the most fun I’ve had for 50 cents in a long time. I’ll never not ride the rocket again during the Showdown.

The next set of photos and video need alittle background. In June of 2003 I attended the NSRA York, PA event and met the So-What guys for the first time. I had only been on the HAMB about 6-8 months at that point. It was a cold, rainy and VERY muddy weekend and the camping was still inside the fairgrounds. I was hanging out in Scottville when this very handsome guy asks me to mud wrestle. I look at him like he was high and told him no. Over the years I came to regret not just going along with it, for the fun of it.

Since then I’ve come to love all the S0-What guys and every time I see JohnnyLongHair we would mention “one of these days”. Well “one of these days” was here and the gauntlet was thrown down and Megan wanted in on it! We told Johnny, meet us at the mud hole or you’ll never live it down and just like in the movies he approached from one end and we from another

The cameraman is lucky Megan didn’t grab him and throw him in as well

and the following video ensued.

I could barely stand up I was laughing so hard.

We all then walked over to the hose to get some of the mud off before hitting the shower

I’d like to apologize to Johnny. I didn’t have my glasses on and I threw some mud and nailed him on the side of the head and he got mudd in his eye. I’m sorry sweetie, I didn’t do it on purpose. Still love me????

At this point I decided to actually ride the go-cart again before I took a shower so I headed in my wet clothes over to the tent and changed into my muddy but dry clothes from the earlier go-cart ride, started it up and cruz around. The thing is fast.

The go-cart has some issues, one of which is one of the wheel bearing is shot, so often if I slam on the brakes the chain comes off. Stick it back on, no big deal BUT the other issue is a fast/stuck idle so as soon as you pull start it, it takes off. Kinda amusing I guess. Gonna probably fix everything this weekend so we can have trouble free fun with it this summer.

After parking the go-cart for the night I took a nice hot shower and headed back to camp. Some were eating, some were working on their rides.

Matt AKA TinMan and Dee AKA gasketGirl

I’ve got my laptop on the chair in front of me uploading the photos and videos to show folks

What’s a campfire without toasted marshmellows…..

and drinking…

and eating…

and a flamethrowing bicycle?

More mountain pies

Looks like we have a piro amoung us…

Some even brought their own potty chair for their tent which in turn brought up a whole bunch of disgusting port-a-john stories around the campfire. Must be a guy thing.

What better way to dry my socks…..some didn’t approve

Sure was a full moon that night

Hit then tents and most of us were out like lights after the huge activity filled day.

Comment

Sunday monring woke up to drizzle and the Rochester boys pulling out. I don’t know which was sadder. Others started packing up their stuff.

GasketGirl making herself hot muffins for breakfast

Scott brought the truck and trailer to our campsite and we started loading up. You’d never believe I had washed the go-cart off last night.

Said our good-byes and so longs knowing that we’d all be getting together next weekend at Brian’s in Dayton, OH

Megan and Matt, couple of hard core hot rodders for sure.

Kinda a sad looking place without all the hot rods around

Till next year….thanks for the 2008 memories. I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Larry and Kim for the GREAT time. All your effort and hard work shows.
            Everyone appreciates everything you two and the rest of the crew does to make sure we all have the best time possible. From the bottom of my heart.....THANK YOU!

One the way home I noticed some mud wrestling injuries…my wrist and my knee both had scrapes. The price one pays for playing rough. :

Kinda rainy the whole 10 hours home

I LOVE my new Rusty Olds :-*

Did I mention toll roads SUCK?!! Almost $100 in tolls through OH and PA both ways. >

Once home my Dad walked down and helped us unload.

Trust me we needed the assistance

With one flat tire and one with the rubber off the rim, Rusty Olds didn’t exactly roll off

What a difference huh? ;D

No real plans yet. In fact all I’m going to do this summer is clean out the stuff inside and take inventory, bolt on the bumpers, change the two left side tires. I also plan on removing all the windows, separating the door glass and sending the window trim to Advanced Plating along with all the window cracks and inside door handles. Once I get them back, the new, perfectly chromed stuff will go in Big Olds. The window trim that is currently in BO was done in Canada and does not reflect the quality of the rest of the pieces…and it’s noticeable to me.

From that point perhaps NEXT winter I will start on Rusty Olds and right now I’m thinking an early tail dragger with an early 303 and early speed equipment……maybe maroon in color. We’ll see, my tastes could change by then. In the meantime Rusty Olds will just sit in the garage keeping Big Olds company.

Comment

Great story and pics, TY...what part of PA was that, I think my Mom and her hubby were going with his beater jalopy....Didnt see it in the photos, it would have been green with Joes Garage on the doors......I know where Beaver Falls is....I grew up in that area....

Comment

Man, I'm tired just reading it. As usual, awesome post. Thanks for sharing your awesome hot rod life with us. We are jealous.
                1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

That looked to be a hell of trip. I enjoyed the whole thing. Thanks.

Comment

Man, I loved that...people using their rods...in the mud, treating them like normal cars meant to have fun with and actually not having a panic attack with the mudd...LOL...simple awsome.
                    That is the best thing I have seen thus far this week. Thank you for the laughs.
                    Andrew
                    1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
                    2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

Thanks Denise ... great photos of an awesome road trip, again. I too am jealous. Was out at a local(ish) car show / swap meet today with Stu (Capt Virgil Hilts), we bumped in to Scott (Flatman). Not sure if you've been talking to him ... the Bantam is done, this weekend was supposed to be its debut, but he's having issues getting the car titled.

cheers,
                      Ed N.
                      Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                      07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                      88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Looks like you had some fun, Denise. You should take some pictures next time,lol.

I like the last picture, Big and Rusty side by side.
                        Cognizant Dissident

Comment

Thanks for the post Denise, looking forward to meeting you at Bonneville. Doug
                          Reading , Pa
                          Good Guys rodders rep.
                          "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                          Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Thanks for sharing Denise. I could almost taste the mud.

Comment

As always, great post. Thanks for sharing your adventures.

Hugs
                              Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X