Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

worlds fastest street legal car on ebay ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TC View Post
    "Legal to drive on the road"...... That right there is the big question, as in would these cars pass emissions.... To me a street car would need to pass emissions to be called a street car.......
    So is my Charger, that runs pig rich, and that I've only taken to the track three time (slow all 3 times) and rack up all of my miles on the street, not a street car because it won't pass emissions, even though the state of PA says it doesn't have to? Your description more fits a "daily driver" than a "street car".

Comment

Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

OK, I've listened to all this drivel on here and here's my 2 cents, Rod Saboury is a legend (East Coast anyway) and his cars are always top notch as is his 63 Vette, I'll be shocked if anyone buys it at that figure but of course there are those that spend that kind of money having a car built and came out with less. As for it being the fastest street legal car, it isn't, Lutz ran 212 at Drag Week with a real street legal car and Larson has been well over 200 also. Saboury also made note that he put 500 miles on his car one Summer, Lutz, Larson & Joe Barry put about 1,500 miles on in 5 days! Now let's talk about what makes a real street car, Larson drives his everywhere, he even "drove" it over to Topeka in 2011 and made 3 rounds in the High Dollar Comp Eliminator at the NHRA Summer Nationals before bowing out and driving back home, Emissions testing, are you kidding me? I could care less if my car passes Arizona Emissions, I live in Illinois and that's where my car is legally registered, licensed and insured and we don't have emissions testing here! OK that's my take on it, now take your best shot!
        sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

"Legal to drive on the road"...... That right there is the big question, as in would these cars pass emissions.... To me a street car would need to pass emissions to be called a street car.......
          Only if it's required to pass in the state where it's registered ....
          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Larson-Article.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	864425

National Dragster write up!
            sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

I guess neither of my cars are street legal. Neither would pass emissions. But, since neither of my cars are required to pass emissions testing, it's a irrevalent point. Half the cars on the road in Cali wouldn't be considered street cars because they would fail emissions testing simply because the check engine light is on. So that 1990 Toyota pickup truck with the check engine light on is no longer a street car.

You need a different marker for non-street cars.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster View Post
                Only if it's required to pass in the state where it's registered ....
                Here it goes by County.... Around 10-15 years ago or so they actually had vans on the side of the road here that would test your cars emissions as you drove past them(usually setup on a freeway on ramp) and if you failed it took a pic of your license plate and sent you a notice of repair in the mail. I'm just wondering how many of these so called street cars on DW would pass driving by their sniffers........

Comment

I don't have emisson testing... My cars not legal? Nor street cars?
                  So by your logic all my cars/trucks are illegal..

I'm taking nothing away from Saboury, Lutz nor Larson... Since their cars are licensed in their states.. And are driven on the highway along side Joe Blow and Sally Smith.. Therefore they are street cars... It is just that those cars are not the type I desire.. SURE, I'll make a pass or two if invited, be a fool not to..
                  Am I "wrong" because I do not care for that style?.. I do not think so and nobody else should.. Just like derbying.. Everybody should try it, I don't think less of a person for not trying..
                  Last edited by Deaf Bob; October 7, 2012, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Whalen View Post
                    I think Rod's excuse was his roofing business, not family. Larson race cars seems to be a busy shop- the headers on the vette are listed as bulit by Larson Race cars.. Mr Frost wants money to come over here. I think the British are still mad about that 1776 stuff
                    yes Paul ./I am the one who mentioned the roofing business

Comment

IIRC between his roofing business and some health issues he said he wouldnt participate DW until he felt comfortable doing so.I have no problem with that.KS,MO etc. dont have a sniffer test.Maybe "Someone" needs to live in one of those states.JFC!

Comment

Scott, ain't got no stick up my ass man. I said I agreed with TC's opinion on what was a street car. You have your opinion I have mine. The fact that Larson can drive it the distance he does at DW is amazing but, and I'm just asking here, can he pull up to the Christmas tree after having driven for an hour or two and then run 7's? Or does he have to switch tires, adjust the tune, fiddle with carbs etc etc before he can run the number? For me, if he can do it all without having to adjust anything then that's amazing, brilliant even. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking him at all, don't even know him, and I think it's really cool that he can do what he does, but I'm sticking with TC's original definition <not the emission one>
                        "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                          It's not a poke at TC , SGM. Its a comment on "think about what you are saying" to TC.

I don't think anything with a carb should be expected to make max power without the hood coming up. Hell, even in Two Lane Blacktop they were rejetting in different parts of the country. Not every track is home town elevation. You can say Daily Driver means never raising the hood, but if you don't, you're leaving a lot on the table that somebody else will take.

Even with EFI, you change several thousand feet and unless you're running a mild MAF or close to factory SD setup, your keyboard is gonna be coming out if it hasn't already been accommodated in your tune.

Sealed hoods - how would that work with EFI? Sealed ALDL? Epoxied DB9 ports? Sealed USB ports? WI-FI interrupters? Gawd, I did just say that. Sorry. Ignore it. Please - no self learning EFI battle royale.

Back to the uber badass corvette that I'll never own or build, Saboury has been a household magazine name for a loooong time in my reading room. Even when pro-fairground happened, his shit set the standard for badassest streetcar title. If somebody wants to buy it and run huge numbers and win a jacket, far out. I hope it gets at least driven. It was meant to be driven.
                          that is classic approach to carbs.
                          not many know 200F intake and cfm beyond any factory build putters around town and hauls ass as one setup. I have been there for 15 years with the very last year of carbs and effort by a world standard. Foriegn went all out mind you..american stayed a brick...and then it disappeared.

mention carb, "everyone" assumes 1969.

evolution is funny to watch when you know you are looking down at it. Interrupts are for ignition. Stomping at waterfalls for a nanosecond is insane.

the vette and larson, it is the truth: history granpa'd, saved by law of classics.

I can't wait to see street car and modern rules apply. Some stuff is there, but very secretive.
                          Previously boxer3main
                          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Vegaman View Post
                            Scott, ain't got no stick up my ass man. I said I agreed with TC's opinion on what was a street car. You have your opinion I have mine. The fact that Larson can drive it the distance he does at DW is amazing but, and I'm just asking here, can he pull up to the Christmas tree after having driven for an hour or two and then run 7's? Or does he have to switch tires, adjust the tune, fiddle with carbs etc etc before he can run the number? For me, if he can do it all without having to adjust anything then that's amazing, brilliant even. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking him at all, don't even know him, and I think it's really cool that he can do what he does, but I'm sticking with TC's original definition <not the emission one>
                            as one who travelled the same roads Larson did this year, I can safely say he did not change tires. He had no room for another set. I never saw a trailer behind his car. I am sure he does make changes, but they are minimal. He is a classic "run what ya brung".
                            Drag Week 2012 (wet paint and no transmission but finished) Drag Week 2013 Daily Driver finished in middle of pack (again) Drag Week 2014 #56 of 126 Daily Drivers. (getting closer to the 32)

Comment

The 80's paint scheme kills it for me.
                              Tom
                              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by greenXpress View Post
                                as one who travelled the same roads Larson did this year, I can safely say he did not change tires. He had no room for another set. I never saw a trailer behind his car. I am sure he does make changes, but they are minimal. He is a classic "run what ya brung".
                                So if Larson didn't change tires, then that means he was driving around on slicks and slicks are not DOT approved, so that would make it illegal for street use.........

Comment

Working...
                                X