Advice... Halloween costume "how to".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice... Halloween costume "how to".

I try to do something current in pop culture when I do costumes, this year my Halloween costume is going to be this:

If the image doesn't show up, it's the "dish head" from the tv commercials.
    I welcome any advice or input on how to do this with an actual satellite dish...

Here are the two basic ideas I've come up with.

- make the hole big enough to fit my head through; may not look very good once "installed".

- split it in half, cut a neck sized hole and bolt it back together with a piece of metal on the back side, painted gray. -screw heads would show, seam would show.

There's a lot of ways to dress, and then a lot of ways to decorate for all the young critters coming to your door.

This is from Lisa in West Virginia, of course, entitled, "Home Birth."

Click image for larger version

Name:	HomeBirth.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	864391
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Looks like the hole is towards the arm, then once it tilts, it "hides" the hole, using a shirt with a collar helps hide it..

Comment

Sorry for the derail with the pumpkin photo, I do that kind of stuff all the time. It's my (it's got a long name that's hard to pronounce) kicking in. Whatever it is, I'm sure I have it.

And I'll fire hose the party after that - imagine, you get that dish firmly installed on you, as funny as that is...if you should happen to somehow accidentally trip and fall down with that on, around your neck....

Comment

I would do something around the neck opening to prevent accidental decapitation or exsanguination.

Comment

Well here's what I've got so far. The sharpie marks are approximate neck hole dimensions and the diagonal lines are my thoughts of where to cut it.

My idea, at this point, is to screw another piece of metal about 3 inches long across the back of each cut line, and use screws with wing nuts for easy removal/ installation.

If I can't find something to put around the metal neck opening, I'll just roll the edge.
            Last edited by yellomalibu; October 5, 2012, 11:44 AM.

Comment

I'm worried about it. You can't see where you're stepping. And you'll break your neck if/when you fall down.

Okay, enough of that. I'm done. Count me worried.

Comment

Remember, Peewee is the editor of the safety newsletter and therefore prone to caution. I have a wife like that. I say "Go for it".

Can you just make one cut down (neck opening to throat) and then twist it to install/remove? I have no clue how flexible one of these would be with a hole in the middle and the ring severed. Worth a try.

Dan

Comment

I can't wear collars, (can't stand anthing around my neck) let alone something that inhibits vision. Do what you feel comfortable with and have fun.
                  http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

I'm still worried. I said I'd shut up, but I can't. That rig is dangerous. Plumb dangerous.

Comment

Oh, I'm gonna do it. The question is how.

Before the idea of bolting a flat piece of metal on the back across the seam(s), I was thinking I would have to have some angle steel welded and bolt the sections together from behind. It just now occurred to me that I could use duct tape on the back side, rather than wing-nuts.

Man, y'all aren't helping much with the ideas... though I don't know if they can get any simpler than the duct tape idea.

...and if it helps you worry less, I don't drink anymore, so you don't have to worry about me falling down, drunk.

Comment

You don't have to be drunk to fall down if you can't see where you're stepping.

Shut up peewee. Just shut up. Let him do it and ....

Comment

If you have that dish on your head are you going to have a TV somewhere?
                          That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Originally posted by LORENSWIFE View Post
                            If you have that dish on your head are you going to have a TV somewhere?
                            In his glasses? ....

Comment

Made a little more progress today, since I have a few hours between jobs.

First, I cut the neck hole (the elongated version) and removed the pie shaped wedge with a drill and a jig saw. I then de-burred all cuts with a file.

After a test fit, next came making it "safer" (thanks PeeWee) I decided I could slit a piece of vacuum hose and glue it in place all around the neck hole. Best thing to glue rubber to metal - yellow 3M trim adhesive. Dang stuff was $9.00; the most expensive part of the costume yet! .

...and to make sure the vac. tubing stays in place until the glue dries, I broke out some string. I'll let it set up overnight.

to be continued...

Comment

Working...
                              X