Land Speed Record?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Land Speed Record?

This one is sort of tantalizing, doesn't tell us much of anything technically. The British coverage reminds me of a day at work for me - what's going on? "It's a secret, you'll find out when you have to know."

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

interesting stuff.
    especially mentioning it as inspiring to educate.
    14k psi thrust.. I thought of a pratt and whitney tf33 jet engine.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

The Bloodhound effort is serious as a heart attack. It is being led by Richard Noble who led the team that owns the current record with the Thrust SSC car. Lots of info out there as the car has been under construction for a couple years. I bet that they do it.
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
        interesting stuff.
        especially mentioning it as inspiring to educate.
        14k psi thrust.. I thought of a pratt and whitney tf33 jet engine.
        Inspiring to educate. Thrust equals propulsion. Speed x weight equals intertia, etc. Lots of physics going on.

I'll bet they don't even begin to educate the kids about how much it costs to go fast. Let alone THAT fast. The entire GNP of a medium-sized country, for sure.

Comment

The whole country of England is behind these guys and this effort. Lots private industry helping. Tens of millions involved in this thing, as well as a country. National pride you say? Test firing that rocket was the first time a wholly English constructed rocket had been fired off in that country in two decades.

These guys are the real deal and so isn't Andy Green who is still an active member of the RAF.

Here's an example of what I am talking about -

Last edited by Brian Lohnes; October 4, 2012, 12:47 PM.
          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I attended a talk by Ron Ayers (head engineer on Thrust SSC) at Bonneville in 1998. He said they spent X amount just to break the speed of sound at 762 MPH. He figured it would take twice as much to go 800. So you need the budget of a midsize country to go 1000 on the ground.

ALSO - where the hell will they make this attempt? The salt has been too short for rockets and jets almost 20 years. Black Rock was used last time, and between the drought and yearly Burning Man festivals, the surface is not hard enough to make a record run, and is polluted with FOD that will get sucked into the jet engine. You MUST have room to slow down after a down run and the back run.

Keep in mind that most absolute land speed records are improved in small increments.... to make the jump of almost 35 percent? Not gonna happen in my lifetime, but I wish them luck with the project.
            Last edited by studemax; October 4, 2012, 02:36 PM.
            Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

i really hope the car is safe. That is a lot of force on a frame......thats cruisin on dirt.........that fast.
              Last edited by oldsman496; October 4, 2012, 04:00 PM.
              Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by oldsman496 View Post
                i really hope the car is safe. That is a lot of force on a frame......thats cruisin on dirt.........that fast.
                Yeah, you wouldn't even be an available witness for the case when the highway patrolman asked, "So, what happened?"

(Imaginary response) "Well, sir, I was going a thousand miles per hour when I think a tie rod broke, but I'm not real sure exactly what happened. Whatever it was, it happened pretty fast."

"So, why did it take you 6 miles to stop after you knew something was wrong?"

"Well sir, I think my brakes failed at the same time."

Comment

I certainly wish them every success, BUT.......

Talking and planning isn't the same as record setting. No doubt this sucker will be fast but 1000 is a TON of speed. Just the wheel technology (no tires at this speed) is staggering.

And I'll add my voice to the hopes that they stay safe.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                    I certainly wish them every success, BUT.......

Talking and planning isn't the same as record setting. No doubt this sucker will be fast but 1000 is a TON of speed. Just the wheel technology (no tires at this speed) is staggering.

And I'll add my voice to the hopes that they stay safe.

Dan
                    Russian Roulette comes to mind....
                    Last edited by pdub; October 4, 2012, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Let's see, strap a jet engine to a tube, use that to start a rocket, and try to keep it on the ground.... yeah, no way anything would go wrong with that....

the problem with the Brits is they never had Road Runner cartoons - just one watch of what happened to Wiley E. Coyote would have cured them of the idea of strapping rockets to their derriere.

and not to be too terribly morbid, but they also had a guy who said he could go 300 mph on water..... he didn't, nor will he ever
                      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; October 4, 2012, 09:45 PM.
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

SBG, with me being the very least technologically/mechanically gifted one here, I'm glad I'm not the only one to doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
                          SBG, with me being the very least technologically/mechanically gifted one here, I'm glad I'm not the only one to doubt it.
                          the doubt may be someones inspiration.
                          people work in many ways.

come to think of it, reading that article..there really s not much to look up to. everything shrinking, a bullshit automotive leader with every excuse but heterosexual.

was anyone else inspired by carbs when they learned the whistle of emulsifying exceeds the speed of sound?
                          very old video.

injection won't ever catch subatomic...with a mapped intentional plan.

anyway. I wonder if 14k psi is enough... that is very tight numbers they play with.
                          Previously boxer3main
                          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
                            the doubt may be someones inspiration.
                            people work in many ways.

come to think of it, reading that article..there really s not much to look up to. everything shrinking, a bullshit automotive leader with every excuse but heterosexual.

was anyone else inspired by carbs when they learned the whistle of emulsifying exceeds the speed of sound?
                            very old video.

injection won't ever catch subatomic...with a mapped intentional plan.

anyway. I wonder if 14k psi is enough... that is very tight numbers they play with.
                            140 mph for me in a completely stock car was completely invigorating enough. That was easy to do. Mash the gas. A real thrill for a home body like me who doesn't do anything otherwise. Beyond that...speed, build it, hope it holds together....no I'm a pussy. That's God territory. Live or die. I don't want to die having fun, although everybody would say afterward, "He died doing what he loved to do."

And if I shot myself in the head with a gun everybody would also say, "He died doing what he loved to do - cleaning his gun." That's why I don't have one.

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
                              ALSO - where the hell will they make this attempt? The salt has been too short for rockets and jets almost 20 years. Black Rock was used last time, and between the drought and yearly Burning Man festivals, the surface is not hard enough to make a record run, and is polluted with FOD that will get sucked into the jet engine. You MUST have room to slow down after a down run and the back run.
                              South Africa, looks like. http://www.bloodhoundssc.com/project...ert-race-track

WARNING: I lost a few hours of my life getting stuck in that site, so proceed w/ caution.
                              "First I believe if you keep the RPM's high enough, ANYTHING is possible." PeeWee

Comment

Working...
                              X