Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parker

As much as I love to hate modern news coverage, I am a foolish victim of the old stuff. Back when photographs were real, back when tales were probably stretched just as much as today but it seemed you could believe it. History.

Since we weren't there, we have to believe it. Isn't that a sad state of affairs, believing it?

So last week two handguns sold for about a half a million at auction, said to be taken off of Bonnie and Clyde when they were ....uhhh summarily executed by cops:

Their demise wouldn't hold up in California today, you just couldn't do that. But the cops were pissed off. After all, Bonnie and Clyde had killed cops. And robbed banks.

So finally in Louisiana on a back road, the cops got them cornered up. There was no discussion, just bullets. Here's the result:

Click image for larger version

Name:	BonnieClydeCar.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	879286

The cops shot the doors, the fenders, the hood, the radiator, and probably birds flying overhead and lots of nearby trees.

If this had been a modern day military operation, most of the team would have been busted back to cooking beans in the mess hall. But a few of the bullets did hit Bonnie and Clyde, according to historical accounts.

Just saying.
    Last edited by pdub; October 4, 2012, 09:48 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Funny how the car in the movie resembled the house in 'The Gauntlet" and Warren Beaty looked like he was doing a dance with all the bullets hitting him. Must have been creative licensing.

The above pictured car looks like a good bodyman could fix that real easy like.
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Originally posted by 68scott385 View Post
      Funny how the car in the movie resembled the house in 'The Gauntlet" and Warren Beaty looked like he was doing a dance with all the bullets hitting him. Must have been creative licensing.

The above pictured car looks like a good bodyman could fix that real easy like.
      Look at this pattern right here - that was the only guy in the crowd who could shoot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BonnieClydeCar2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	864404

Comment

Looks like the pattern from an L shaped ambush. Doesnt look like many holes in the back of the car, the ones in the front appear to be intended to take out the ignition and or hit the driver, slightly oblong means they werent shooting straight at the car, but at an angle. Looks to me they did pretty well considering they were probably using Thompson or BAR full auto, wasnt Clyde supposed to be armed with Browning BAR rifles he stole from an armory? If they had those things, they had some serious firepower going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post
          Looks like the pattern from an L shaped ambush. Doesnt look like many holes in the back of the car, the ones in the front appear to be intended to take out the ignition and or hit the driver, slightly oblong means they werent shooting straight at the car, but at an angle. Looks to me they did pretty well considering they were probably using Thompson or BAR full auto, wasnt Clyde supposed to be armed with Browning BAR rifles he stole from an armory? If they had those things, they had some serious firepower going on.
          Yeah, they were armed and dangerous, but I'm saying....look at all the holes in the car. Did they plan that? Okay, you five guys shoot the motor, and the rest of us will shoot right at them. It was a hail of gunfire for sure. Why would they do all of that if they just wanted to kill them, which is what they did? I'm only saying 3/4 of them couldn't aim worth a dang in the heat of the moment.
          Last edited by pdub; October 5, 2012, 12:25 AM.

Comment

I like the history of the Bonnie and Clyde era. Your photo interests me. Where did the photo come from- looking at the back ground and such, the car is up a few floors- what is the story with this?

As for the shootout- I can imagine that the cops were nervous. They did not know what to expect, so the stray shots are not surprising. Both occupants had killed cops and demonstrated no respect for human life, so the want to stop them with "extreme prejudice" was great.

All in all- a very interesting time of history of the US. You can find their FBI files on line- good reading.
            Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

I photo Googled Bonnie and Clyde car.

Comment

Must remember that Clyde loved stealing the first mast produced V8. So much so that he wrote Henry Ford a letter. Any was maybe the law wasn't used to shooting at anything moving that fast and flinging that much lead at them. The info I read on Bonnie is that she never shoot anyone. Although the gun taped to her leg says she would.
                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

That's a good point Dan. Going fast. But when you look at that tight 7-shot pattern on the driver's door above, I'd have to think they were stopped at the time.

And a woman with a gun taped to her leg is probably not somebody most good guys would want to take home to meet Mom and Dad.

EDIT: In my younger days, I would have already found the gun taped to her leg BEFORE I took her home to meet Mom and Dad.
                  Last edited by pdub; October 5, 2012, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Dept of Justice along w/Caliber Press & Street Survival did a study back in the 90's on armed confrontations and the street officer. It showed that a well trained officer that regularly qualifies at an 85% level or better, in the heat of a gun fight (face it, no matter what weapon the bad guy has, its a gun fight since we train to win) will only shoot at a 40% level. I would imagine back in the day of B&C, it would be even less knowing what the training standards were back then. One thing that drastically changed training back in the 80s when I was a baby cop, was that we shoot to stop the threat .... not kill, which was probably not the case back then. With B&C's history of crime, I'm certain the rules of engagement were different.
                    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Clyde stole the BAR, and the Ford V-8...
                      At his time, the officer in the majority of the places they hit, provided his own car and gun as well as his uniform.
                      So.. Being a "working man" he probably had a box of shells his whole career.. And a fairly smallish calibur pistol.

The LEO's in my family are provided Glocks in the 45 cal range... The detective also gets an AR-15., they are given boxes of ammo to shoot monthly.. This is minimum...

Comment

IIRC, there were a variety of guns used by the police in the ambush of Bonnie and Clyde - not the least of which was the Tommy gun.... a notoriously inaccurate gun, so I'm not sure I'd jump to the conclusion of poor aim by the police, rather, I'd remark at the amazing number of bullets they got into the car while shooting a Tommy gun.

A friend had a Tommy gun, and I got to watch (bastard) him shoot it at the range. What was funny was at 150 feet he couldn't hit a 10'x10' target on full auto. We call him cross hair to this day - because the safest place in the world with him shooting is in the cross hairs.
                        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; October 5, 2012, 09:40 AM.
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Here is my nothing story

They robbed the bank in Haslet , right down the road from me

The movie(parts) was filmed in my little town of Ponder

I like this song

sigpic

Comment

When you look at it or think about it...Bonnie and Clyde were in their 20's. Shooting and killing and robbing and running and laughing. And maybe thinking they could do that forever, since it worked more than once already.

Medical science says the human brain doesn't completely mature until around the age of 30. That's when you can internally realize and calculate the difference between a thrill and a risk.

So they weren't there yet when the cops popped a whole bunch of rounds in their asses. Over and over. As said far above on this thread, "with great prejudice." In essence, "Take THAT" in return for what you have already done.

It sure would take a long time these days if they had only arrested them. Bonnie and Clyde may still be awaiting appeals court and what have ya. That one-sided shootout may very well have been the last case of real frontier justice.

Comment

Working...
                            X