1970 Monte carlo tire question please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1970 Monte carlo tire question please

Can I run a 255 x 60 BFG on a 15 x 8 Vette rally on the rear without rubbing? thanks
    Last edited by groucho; October 6, 2012, 03:25 PM.
    STUGOTS

Yes, Should be the same as a chevelle? Im thinking you need the same backspace as an original.

imo, 255/60 is the best size on an 8"
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

I don't think the usual 'Vette rallyes fit. The general consensus for a 1st gen Monte is at least 4.5" backspacing for an 8" rim.

I ran 255/60's w/ 3.75" backspacing on a 7" with no rubbing on my '71. I tried 275/60's but those would definitely rub without some clearancing or raising the rear.
      Last edited by Darren N.; October 6, 2012, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Corvette 15x8's have 4" back spacing. I don't see them rubbing on that car. Lot's of room under there.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

It could rub. I've seen 60's on them before but you have to remember the contour of the fender covers the top of the wheel a little.

Comment

Originally posted by antmnte View Post
            It could rub. I've seen 60's on them before but you have to remember the contour of the fender covers the top of the wheel a little.
            That's exactly the issue. That's why a little extra backspacing is usually necessary.

Comment

Being that it's not a Chevelle, I'm not sure ... but since you're talking about the smaller 255 rather than the 275, it will probably fit without rubbing. If someone in the car's past has rolled the fender lips slightly (or more) it will much more likely fit without rubbing.

If it does fit, to help make sure it doesn't rub, I'd suggest new bushings in the upper trailing arms and rear end housing to keep things centered.

Comment

Yeah, I'm screwed. It has 7" Americans now. The web site says they are 4" BS....the same as the 15x8 rallys. So, the whole inch is gonna be to the outside where 1" is exactly the distance I have now. So, I have 2 brand new useless 8's. They're useless because they are both of different aftermarket makes. They'd be undetectable on the car, but not off the car for me to resell. aaaargh
                STUGOTS

Comment

Sucks your so far away. I have several sets.

The Rallys are different makes but same BS? Why would someone care?
                  Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

I have 4 FW code 15x7s sitting around collecting dust
                    Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Originally posted by kyhunter89 View Post
                      Sucks your so far away. I have several sets.

The Rallys are different makes but same BS? Why would someone care?
                      I'm the perfect guy for different makes. , but thanks. I have 2 15x7's from a friend for $20 each, $80 for the 4 caps. Another friend's giving me 2 7's @ Pomona next weekend. Now I just need a cheap set of rings.
                      Last edited by groucho; October 7, 2012, 05:09 PM.
                      STUGOTS

Comment

there ya go
                        Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Groucho,I dont know if you saw this but I think this is a 255 60 on the rear of this 70 4 speed.

Comment

Originally posted by antmnte View Post
                            Groucho,I dont know if you saw this but I think this is a 255 60 on the rear of this 70 4 speed.
                            http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-...orcev4exp=true
                            Haha, you're probly right, as there is pretty clear rub damage in one of the rear tire close up pictures
                            STUGOTS

Comment

Originally posted by groucho View Post
                              Haha, you're probly right, as there is pretty clear rub damage in one of the rear tire close up pictures
                              Yep. Or, he can't parallel park for shit.
                              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X