Keyboard Racer: FAIL at the "Lawnchair Autocross"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
    I've aligned them with jackstands, a string and a tape measure.
    That's how I do it!
    Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
    1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
    1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
    1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
    1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
    1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Better yet, learn how to do it yourself. I can align a car with a scribe, a tape measure and a camber gauge. I've aligned them with jackstands, a string and a tape measure.

Sooner you learn, the easier it is to do it on the fly.
      A guy I worked for wouldn't pay for alignments and made us Techs learn how to do them ourselves, I used a Smart Chamber gauge and a set of toe plates and a couple of tape measures.....
      Last edited by TC; October 8, 2012, 03:54 PM.

Comment

I don't like toe plates, given that I'm trying to align to within a 32nd tolerance. Look at the side of a tire, do I really want to introduce the error that occurs from slaping a toe plate against a tire?

I know that they are commonly used, I just don't like to do sloppy work.
        I'm still learning

Comment

I don't like toe plates, given that I'm trying to align to within a 32nd tolerance. Look at the side of a tire, do I really want to introduce the error that occurs from slaping a toe plate against a tire?

I know that they are commonly used, I just don't like to do sloppy work.
          When I did the front end on the '92 chevy truck that I had, I set the toe using toe plates and then took the truck to an alignment shop, the guy told me I had the toe right on the money..... So you may not like them but they do work.......

Comment

Good for you.
            I'm still learning

Comment

I use a 2x4, but then I usually get it aligned at a shop because I know it's only close, not perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedzzter.blogspot View Post
                Oh crap, I'm on the slippery slope again!

"If you give a mouse some UTOG 200-series tires, he'll want a new alignment . . .

Then he'll say, 'Wouldn't it lap quicker with $1,000 set of adjustable remote-reservoir shocks?'

[and several expensive steps later]

He'll want a new 18-wheel, Class Eight car hauler to take his carbon-fiber "A-Mod" to the SCCA Solo Nationals . . . ."
                That's hillarious...I think I have read all of the "if you give a mouse a..." books to my kids.

On the lawnchair autocross topic, I would love to try it with my '62 Buick. That would probably be pretty comical, but my other two choices are my Silverado or the wife's Grand Caravan. Either one would probably be better, but the Buick would get more style points.

Comment

It can be a lot of fun if you treat it as a personal challenge-like golf. Take the car you like-how you like it-and just learn to drive it. Disregard what class they stick you in and whether or not you're competitive in it. The rules are pretty dumb, and there will always be people that take it WAY too seriously and spend the national debt on a stock class car. If you enjoy the mechanical and tinkering side get a piece of crap car (or truck) that should never work and make it faster than it should ever be. Keep it fun-not frustrating.

Comment

Ive seen everything imaginal running the GG auto x. My buddy loves running his 60 biscayne, and his 62 impala convertible. I even had my other buddy run his low 10sec pro street 55 chev !
                    as for imports..."Goodguys has opened a new avenue for car guys and gals of all ages to get in on the fun of attending a Goodguys National Event! The new Goodguys
                    Reading , Pa
                    Good Guys rodders rep.
                    "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                    Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Originally posted by Page2171 View Post
                      That's hillarious...I think I have read all of the "if you give a mouse a..." books to my kids.

On the lawnchair autocross topic, I would love to try it with my '62 Buick. That would probably be pretty comical, but my other two choices are my Silverado or the wife's Grand Caravan. Either one would probably be better, but the Buick would get more style points.
                      yes but, do you really want to have to find new door handles from all the scrapping they'll do in an autocross?

laser temp gauges.... saves crawling under the car
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by ls7gto View Post
                        Ive seen everything imaginal running the GG auto x. My buddy loves running his 60 biscayne, and his 62 impala convertible. I even had my other buddy run his low 10sec pro street 55 chev !
                        as for imports..."Goodguys has opened a new avenue for car guys and gals of all ages to get in on the fun of attending a Goodguys National Event! The new Goodguys
                        They saw the writing on the wall. People with cars are tiring of lawnchair shows. They are building cars to drive. Good thing too. They gave Chad a real job.
                        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

It's all about having fun. If you want to get competitive, you can, but mostly just have fun with it. It's more about bettering your own driving skills more than beating everyone else at first. At GG Charlotte last year, there was a guy running in an original Chevelle SS(70-72 don't remember exact year) with a BB, original nosebleed suspension, Cragars and RWL tires. This guy looked like he had bought the car new, survived the hippie craze, and was still enjoying his car. It leaned, rocked, and rolled all over the course, spun tires like crazy due to low traction, got super slow times, but after every run the guy had a smile that AJAX couldn't wipe off. He could care less how good(or bad) he did or how much the onlookers giggled and laughed. He was thoroughly enjoying his car, which is what all aspects of amateur motorsports are about.

When I built my truck a few years ago, the original intention was to build a really nice driver that I could still be proud of at shows, but it came out way too nice. I still drove it to every show and didn't sweat it too much if I got caught in the rain. Over the past couple years, I've become bored with power parking with the folding chair brigade, and going to the same car shows seeing the same stuff all the time. I've started getting involved in driving events, since I built it to drive, not sit. I've started autocrossing, I drive longer distances to short cruise-ins, and I've been looking into rallies to get involved in. Most rallies are catered to original stuff, though. At least around the southeast, anyway.
                          "Life is tough. Life is tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne

Comment

Well written. I could picture it, its pretty damn funny reading it, I woulda been rolling if I was there...Laughing with you, not at you LOL!
                            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I agree with you Slick.....Earl is exaclty what you described, except I drove it from the beginning anyway. 5 years since build, over 34,000 miles. Tons of well-earned road rash. I'm not much into museum pieces or trailer queens either.
                              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                              HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

this past weekend at day of the drags i was sitting around b.s.ing with jimmy shine and he asked what i was working on, told him my plans on my 56 and he gave me a look like wtf are you smoking dood, then i told him i was going to autocross it and he totally changed his tone and said that my idea was bad ass LOL
                                Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Working...
                                X