Road Trip!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road Trip!

My buddy David Perris (I probably spelled that wrong)(Rack4U on here) just bought a new-to-him race car. The bad news (not TOO bad) is that it's in California. The car is famous in LSR circles but I'll let him fill in the details as he sees fit.

He's asked me to ride along and be co-pilot on this adventure. Originally, David's daughter was going to come along but that hasn't worked out so his nephew may join the party.

Looks like we probably will take my Dodge/Cummins as the designated trailer hauler. The car comes with a trailer so we're driving out w/o a shadow but we'll return with a trailer in the rear view mirrors.

We won't have much time in CA but will for sure take in El Mirage after we pick up the car. It's a Sunday meet but we'll just be there for Saturday tech inspection, etc. Just the way our timing works. Hope we hook up with some BSers out there.

David is designing the route so I don't know where I'm going. I'll just ride along (or point the hood in the designated direction when it's my turn) and see what I see.

I haven't been to California since 1965 so this is an exciting adventure for me. Of course for David it's time away from work so he has a different outlook on it. I LOVE being retired!

Hope to see some of you
    Dan

What an adventure! Dan, I'd be tired if I was re-tired the way you are. If I'm already tired now, does that mean I'll be re-tired when I quit working?

You're an inspiration to all of us looking down a comparatively short road to not having to work any more. I know what I'll probably do. Well, I DO know - I'll sit on my butt and watch everybody else do stuff.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

now if I could just convince a guy from NC to trailer a BMW to Washington (on his way, of course )
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
        now if I could just convince a guy from NC to trailer a BMW to Washington (on his way, of course )
        I'll go ahead and speak for Dan - "Okay, Dan will do it."

Cracking one-liners the whole way and enjoying every second of it. Gosh, whatta guy.
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

are you taking I-10 or I-20 or I-40 or all of the above ?
          Last edited by BOOOGHAR; October 11, 2012, 03:12 PM.
          Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Originally posted by BOOOGHAR View Post
            are you taking I-10 or I-20 or I-40 or all of the above ?
            Like I said, David is designing the route so I don't know where we're going or how we're getting there - just that it's somewhere in California. This will be interesting and I can't take a wrong turn as I don't know where we ought to be going (as long as it's West).

Wish us luck.....

Dan

Comment

Road trip for Burke Bros Avanti

Dan,

The car is in Paso Robles. I have not looked at a map yet but since you and I are meeting up in Columbus , OH.....we can just head west right !

Really looking forward to the trip ! I will post a bit more about the car soon.

Tks
              Dave

Comment

I guess I-70 from OH to St. Louis, I-44 to I-40 in Oklahoma.....on westward....

This thread from another forum tells the story about this car much better than I can.

Comment

I love those kinds of road trips !

Be careful on the road fellas and make sure you update us daily with pics and such for those of us not lucky enough to be there
                  sigpic

Comment

Dan - you're living the retirement I want to have- you and Bob are my retirement roll models...

while alive - LIVE!
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Guys - David just posted the route. Any possible meet-ups along the way? We'd love to share lunch, dinner, whatever with anyone. Just remember we have to get to Paso Robles and on to El Mirage by next Saturday so we may not be able to linger TOO long.

And David - THANKS for posting the link to Dan's build log! WAY COOL story.

Dan
                      Last edited by DanStokes; October 12, 2012, 05:13 AM.

Comment

Avanti Fetch Road Trip

Dan,

Got any " BANGSHIFT.COM" Decals laying around for the rear of the Avanti on trip back ?

Comment

I just might. I'll peek thru my disorganized stash.

Dan

Comment

Dan,
                            I'll be going from Illinois to Phoenix area, leaving the 19th. Looks like ill be a couple of days behind you.
                            Do you know about when you'll be by St. Louis?

Comment

Originally posted by Phil318 View Post
                              Dan,
                              I'll be going from Illinois to Phoenix area, leaving the 19th. Looks like ill be a couple of days behind you.
                              Do you know about when you'll be by St. Louis?
                              Not sure, Phil, but I'd guess Thursday. What do you think, David? David is the navigator so he's in charge of such things - I'm just the co-pilot.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X