Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK, toss out everything I know... Dulcich, chime in here...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to the site... Hopefully you will chime in often...

Comment

I know of the benefits that going to a larger diameter lifter does for a flat tappet cam, but is there any benefit to running a larger diameter roller lifter on a roller cam??
      Last edited by TC; February 2, 2013, 11:07 AM.

Comment

larger dia lifyer is always a better deal

A larger dia lifter allows you to have a larger dia wheel and a larger a larger dia cam bore allows you to have a better lobe, all works hand in hand. Not big on roller cams though. I did a lot of work with the olds Quad 4 engine. It has a 1 3/8 dia lifter , no roller cam n the world will match the valve acceleration this thing has. We made 300 hp at 7000rpm with 138 cu in engine and 230deg at .050 on pump gas.

Comment

ive always been fascinated by the quad 4 since they first came out, then got alot more interested in them when quad4rods started doing what they've done with them - BUT trying to find a quad4 now is like trying to find a needle in a haystack
          Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Originally posted by dave storlien View Post
            A larger dia lifter allows you to have a larger dia wheel and a larger a larger dia cam bore allows you to have a better lobe, all works hand in hand. Not big on roller cams though. I did a lot of work with the olds Quad 4 engine. It has a 1 3/8 dia lifter , no roller cam n the world will match the valve acceleration this thing has. We made 300 hp at 7000rpm with 138 cu in engine and 230deg at .050 on pump gas.
            I got that out of Vizard's book on Valvetrains that there were limitations to a roller and that a flat tappet can achieve higher intensity rates....... Also at what point in designing the cam specs will you find yourself needing to go to a larger diameter lifter? You know at what lifts/durations, and do you know what the maximum amount of lifter intensity that can be achieved? or at that what would be the maximum amount you'd run on a lets say a drag week type car.....

Comment

How many do you need , I think I have parts for 4 engines. Now I,m working w the ecotec . The major problem is that the cam core is not big enough in Dia. to allow more than 230deg at .050.
              As far as answering questions about EMC engines , you must remember that we had a max lift of .650 so the flat tappet I felt was a much better choice. The one thing I don,t see mentioned is that the lifter is spinning in the bore and hydro planing over the camshaft. Here is how you get a reduction in friction.

Comment

lifter and cam core dia

I,d say the confines of the block are the limiting factor

Comment

Great to see you here Dave. Thanks
                  I'm still learning

Comment

Dave - Welcome to the madness! I'm a retired EPA dyno tech now doing Land Speed Racing in a VERY bottom-of-the-ladder sort of way. Great to have someone on here with your performance experience (no offense to a bunch of the other guys!).

Dan
                    Last edited by DanStokes; February 2, 2013, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Hello Dan
                      Thank you for your kind words. I have been looking at doing sum land speed racing also. I have an 86 Feiro I,m working on now . Putting a LNF ecotec in it. I feel like I,m cheating working with a turbo motor. But should be lots of fun when its done

Dave

Comment

Oh ya, where are my manners, yes welcome to the forum Dave.

Comment

Dave, that was a great article in ECM. I know that flat.tappet ks acceleration unlimited and thought your idea was slick. You remind me of Larry Widmer.

Looking forward to fufure posts and.comments.p
                          Tom
                          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Running a solid roller myself......this is good stuff Dave.
                            Welcome.
                            Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Now that is a name I have not heard in years, Larry Widmer. Don,t know if I,m in that class. I,m just a cut and try kinda guy. But thank you

Comment

Working...
                              X