No announcement yet.

23 Mile High Skydive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I fell asleep right after they started inflating the balloon. I really wanted to see it too dammit.
    I'm probably wrong

Comment

Originally posted by tedly View Post
      I fell asleep right after they started inflating the balloon. I really wanted to see it too dammit.
      Doh!

There are plenty of clips floating around now.

Plus, Red Bull is making an official documentary of the planning and executing of the entire jump. They said it would be out in a few weeks, we should keep an eye out for it.

Comment

Took a break from today's activities to watch it. TC and my friends Ryan and Greg were surrounding the computer, and we were cracking jokes. Unofficial "records" broken today:

Longest "Fuuuuuuuuuuu......!!!!!" in one breath
        Most Filled Diaper
        "Mile High Club" solo record

That being said, it is one hell of a feat and it's probably a good idea that he retires now. No idea how anyone is gonna top that for another fifty-something years...
        Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

too bad he didnt have a cooler name. Bumgartner doesnt stike the awe that Evil, Glenn, Houdini, Angel does...it doesnt quite roll off the lips.... The Fearless Felix thing is kinda lame...harkens back to some 1920's boardwalk side show...
          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by BOOOGHAR View Post
            would it be wrong to be able to walk up to Craig Breedlove and say you went faster than him and did it without a car ....

LOL
            Craig yes, Andy Green. In your face!

Comment

Originally posted by Darren N. View Post
              Doh!

There are plenty of clips floating around now.

Plus, Red Bull is making an official documentary of the planning and executing of the entire jump. They said it would be out in a few weeks, we should keep an eye out for it.
              Yeah, after staying glued to it in real time, I've had to watch the replays of it today to "see" it. My computer quit streaming as the jump got close. It would stop for 15-20 seconds at a time. I guess the whole world had Red Bull's broadcast bandwidth soaked up.
              Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Two things
                1-was there a sonic boom?

2-I can't believe his limbs didn't get ripped off as he tumbled at that speed
                STUGOTS

Comment

Originally posted by groucho View Post
                  Two things

I can easily stand over-ruled and corrected here, but I think I gathered they already had it figured out - he would go technically faster than the speed of sound, but the air up that high is so thin that there was not enough to compress into a shock wave.

And when he got down to the more dense air, the resistance would slow him down to below that speed, though still screaming. Yeah, they had that stuff figured out way ahead of time.

As well as how high the balloon would go with the amount of helium in it.

Awesome feat. And I still can't get over....all Felix wanted to do was to jump from that altitude. Second thoughts? Apprehension? NOT. He said more than once, "The door wont come open." He wanted out, like a dog needing to pee. He wanted to JUMP, by golly.

That was just amazing, all of it.
                  Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I would wanna jump too, his other option was to crash land in the balloon...
                    Or did someone go with to pilot the balloon back??

Comment

The balloon had an auto-deploy parachute. Though, during the live feed I swear I heard the words "crush plate"...
                      Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Two things

The thing to keep in mind is where he achieved that speed. The air is so thin it provides very little resistance. And supposibly there was a sonic boom, thing about some one breaking the sound barrier is they don't actually hear the boom because they are travelling faster than the sound they are making. Plus again the thin air doesn't propogate sound as well as low elevation dense air. Terminal velocity at low altitude is around 120mph before wind resistance keeps you from going any faster. Less air, means less resistances means faster speed. Not too many jets capable of Mach speeds can do so at low elevations because air resistance.

I would like to see a graph plotting his speed versus altitude to see how much he slowed down before he pulled the chutes, or if he was as terminal velocity or accelerating when he pulled the chutes. Funny point, he pulled the chutes at 5,000ft altitude, that's lower than Ely
                        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I just thought the shot when he stepped off that capsule platform was amazing, can't imagine what it takes to do something like that!
                          That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Originally posted by LORENSWIFE View Post
                            I just thought the shot when he stepped off that capsule platform was amazing, can't imagine what it takes to do something like that!
                            What really impressed me on that shot is that Earth looked a lot further away that I would've guessed at 23 miles. Sometimes I ride my Beach Cruiser that far and further. And that doesn't seem that far. If someone put me up there and I looked down, and saw how far it appeared, I'd guessed a couple hundred miles
                            STUGOTS

Comment

What really impressed me on that shot is that Earth looked a lot further away that I would've guessed at 23 miles. Sometimes I ride my Beach Cruiser that far and further. And that doesn't seem that far. If someone put me up there and I looked down, and saw how far it appeared, I'd guessed a couple hundred miles
                              I agree it looked pretty far but I think the wide angle lense they were using contributed to that, everytime they had a wide shot the curvature of the earth was overpronounced due to that lense, I think it made it look farther than it is. NOT THAT IT IS NOT REALLY FAR!

Loren noted that with all the little cameras they had strapped to Felix they did not use any of them during the jump so they are saving that stuff for the documentary...(the close up of his face as he is screaming incoherently and calling for his mom).
                              That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

The vertical thing is pretty tough to think about when we mostly live in a planar world. Not too many people think twice about going a mile up in the air, but it's a HUGE deal to go a mile below sea level, and not many think about 2+ miles, yet latterally 2 miles is nothing. The surface is around 3 times larger than the diameter of the earth so we see 3x as much area traveling in the surface versus what we see going vertically, so our perception changes essentially 3 times faster going up (versus looking across a 23 mile wide valley). The tallest peak I've stood on is Wheeler peak at 13,065ft and it's an interesting view looking into the surrounding valleys and distance mountain ranges. The world starts looking less flat and more curved at just 2 miles up.
                                Last edited by TheSilverBuick; October 16, 2012, 10:02 AM.
                                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                                X