Hot Roddin' and BangShifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Roddin' and BangShifting

It doesn't get any better - I'm BangShifting and perusing the new edition of HRM at the same time at Weeville - twirl around in the chair and the magazine is sitting open on the edge of the pool table, a perfect setup.

Like some of you guys said early on, the new version of HRM is like a book. It takes a day to see it all. So much stuff, so much DIFFERENT stuff in content

The text is not easy on us older guys, though, the micro-font. I've found if I back away from the page about 18 inches or maybe two feet, I can read it with some considerable effort.

But I'm bound to read it. Cool stuff.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Commit that article on Mike Cook to memory.
    His family is royalty in hot rodding history, and Mike is writing a few important chapters that will affect hot rodding positively for years to come. I know you think a lot of Keith Turk - well, he would tell you that Mike RULES (and how!).
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
      The text is not easy on us older guys, though, the micro-font.
      1,000,000x The HRM art directors hate us.

But time is on our side. In a few years, age-related presbyopia will most certainly hit DF and he'll be the one that calls for bigger, better fonts and good contrasts.

Comment

reminds me to subscribe by net.
        I have all pages at 125% after the CRT algorithm of real size went to the plastic abacus called LCD...

my eyeseight? 20/10, 20/18
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedzzter.blogspot View Post
          1,000,000x The HRM art directors hate us.

But time is on our side. In a few years, age-related presbyopia will most certainly hit DF and he'll be the one that calls for bigger, better fonts and good contrasts.

Weren't you just complaining in another thread that all of Source Interlink Media's magazines were down on page count and up on advertising? It took me a couple days to read the last few HRM magazines they're so full of articles (and finally, some tech!). I think the overhaul is awesome.
          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
            Weren't you just complaining in another thread that all of Source Interlink Media's magazines were down on page count and up on advertising? It took me a couple days to read the last few HRM magazines they're so full of articles (and finally, some tech!). I think the overhaul is awesome.
            No I wasn't. I said that the HRM makeover was apparently stealing budget from PHR. While some of the SIM books haven't returned to historic or pre-recession page counts (MMFF immediately comes to mind . . . some issues in the '90s had nearly 250 pages), the page counts at PHR are far less than HRM. As Scott noted in the other thread, PHR's page count more closely matches some of SIM specialty titles (books that typically sell from 20,000 to 40,000 copies per month).

Of course, HRM in the 60s was often ~ 150 pages before shrinking in the inflation-packed '70s to a little over 100-120. So the current expansion of HRM hardly breaks new ground on page count.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedzzter.blogspot View Post
              No I wasn't. I said that the HRM makeover was apparently stealing budget from PHR. While some of the SIM books haven't returned to historic or pre-recession page counts (MMFF immediately comes to mind . . . some issues in the '90s had nearly 250 pages), the page counts at PHR are far less than HRM. As Scott noted in the other thread, PHR's page count more closely matches some of SIM specialty titles (books that typically sell from 20,000 to 40,000 copies per month).

Of course, HRM in the 60s was often ~ 150 pages before shrinking in the inflation-packed '70s to a little over 100-120. So the current expansion of HRM hardly breaks new ground on page count.
              Now I'm confused, isn't there 125 pages of rant about how PHR is the worst thing next to the apocalypse and the anti-christ? in your verbose opinion, it'd be a great thing if PHR's budget was divided between more old parts and rust (MOPAR), and found on racetrack dead (FORD)...

I know that Hunkins has completely missed the boat by not providing articles on "How to keep your Mopar from rusting into dust" (there aren't any), and "keeping your elephant properly on blocks" or "keeping your mopar from sinking into the ground like a dinosaur"; or such other great articles such as "how to properly push a Ford" and "best Ford tailgate heaters".... you know, those things that keep your hands from freezing when you're pushing a Ford.... it's simple to see how you're so disappointed with those missing articles that you feel the ever present need to rant about the lack of affirmative action in print magazines.

So, how is that NOss system upgrade going?
              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; October 16, 2012, 01:19 PM.
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                Now I'm confused, isn't there 125 pages of rant about how PHR is the worst thing next to the apocalypse and the anti-christ?
                Not exactly. I have pointed out the declining circulation and page count of PHR and the need for balanced coverage in a multi-brand, general interest performance magazine.
                in your verbose opinion, it'd be a great thing if PHR's budget was divided between more old parts and rust (MOPAR), and found on racetrack dead (FORD)...
                What would be a great thing is if SIM improved PHR's sales with more attractive content and balanced coverage. That's not likely until they decide to invest more resources in it.

Comment

Peewee, I agree on the font size. As I turn 45 next week, I am discovering my arms are no longer long enough to hold the mag far enough away to see the tiny print. I may have to break down and buy my first reading glasses this year. A really depressing thought.
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                    Peewee, I agree on the font size. As I turn 45 next week, I am discovering my arms are no longer long enough to hold the mag far enough away to see the tiny print. I may have to break down and buy my first reading glasses this year. A really depressing thought.
                    Nah, it's a rite of passage Scott. It's not depressing, or don't let it be so.
                    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Working...
                    X