Moving a car across the US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving a car across the US

As some know, I've been looking for a 3 series BMW wagon for awhile. And I found one, in Raleigh NC. It checked out and now I'm the proud owner.... but how to get it across the US?

I love the shipper bids, the jam my inbox with quotes, fake questions (sales pitches), and just general hubris.

So, before I pull the trigger on the hauler - is there anyone I should avoid?

And yes, I fully bothered Dan by asking him to bring it here, even told him it was just 1200 miles out of his way to bring it here (after all, he's driving 5000 miles, what's another 1000?). But I'm stuck with a common carrier - probably best anyway since there's rumor that Dan does land speed records in his truck.... although, I question how "record" and "less than 100 mph" can exist in the same sentence.

(in all seriousness, Dan was a great help - thanks Dan)
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; October 16, 2012, 07:21 AM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

i would assume like most things...you get what you pay for...

We had one shipped by rail way back in 94. It showed up in good shape, no issues...a little dirty and the price wasnt too bad, about 650...I am sure the cost is higher now.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Hubris .... well played!

You know I'm down for any type of redball you can come up with or any other assistance I can lend.
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

rail.... hadn't thought of that

the bids have centered around $1100. I practice the throw the highest and lowest bid out then see who's left (about 20, if my calculation is correct). Still, that's far cheaper than driving the car across the US - it's 2800+ miles from Raleigh

Comment

How about fly there and drive it back........

Comment

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

why not fly there and drive back....

let's say you can get a flight that's conveniently timed, one way, for $400.
              2800 miles 28mpg = 100 gallons at $3.75 a gallon - there's $375 optimistically
              2800 miles, drive 700 miles per day that's at least 3 hotel nights - another $255 given the average $85 a night hotels
              you're up over a grand, haven't eaten yet - and haven't made up for lost wages or vacation days.

I'm assuming the deluge of quotes is via uship.com?
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

uship has the most expensive ones
                autobyrail has the least expensive (and least likely to follow the "please only email" comment)
                autotransport.com (IIRC) is the one with the most variety - and the only one that actually has owner/operators bidding - although the OOs are substantially more expensive.

and I think I just answered my own question....

several of the companies pay money to you ($20) if you review them when you've received your car. Impressive.
                Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; October 16, 2012, 09:56 AM.

Comment

okay, so sometimes this is just funny. As I said before my poor phone is smoking from all the people who call. And I've been using the website I listed about to "check them out"

so I get a phone call from Anthony... while I'm on the phone with him, I check out the website... and this is what it says
                  Subject: Lesson Hard Learned
                  Review: I was lied to from the moment I first spoke with All Weather, until my car arrived. For starters they quoted me $650 (LIE). the broker got me to sign by "assuring" me that he already had a driver lined up to move my car that very weekend an... [ More ]
                  Rating:
                  Poster: Steve
                  Date: 10/16/2012 11:24:00 AM
                  Subject: super crook
                  Review: I implore any and everyone to never use this company. I am truly amazed that this company still exist. I was promised a pick up and delivery of a vehicle for a total cost of 300.00. After my initial 150.00 deposit, i never received phone calls or ... [ More ]
                  Rating:
                  Poster: Alfonso Doughty
                  Date: 10/1/2012 8:21:00 PM

While I'm reading these reviews, Anthony says "I have a driver all ready to go, just give me the word...."
                  I started laughing, couldn't stop and told Anthony I had to go.... the "I implore you, please don't use them" followed by the "I can't believe they're still in business" ..... lol
                  Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; October 16, 2012, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Glad Dan was able to help. Sorry I was unable to get out to look at the one that was relisted after the first attempt.

Brian
                    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

try giving it to a broker, truckers board..
                      piggyback it with something else..
                      I think they call it LTL.
                      me and my dad hauled a transformer and vehicle one load..good pay for driver, still saves for customer.
                      Previously boxer3main
                      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
                        Glad Dan was able to help. Sorry I was unable to get out to look at the one that was relisted after the first attempt.

Brian
                        I really appreciated your attempts to contact the reluctant sellers - is it a Boston thing that they don't really want to sell their cars?

However, it was a 200k mile BMW that needed to be stone-cold reliable for my wife and her Search and rescue endeavors - in short, it was a good thing they didn't call back, this car looks like it lead a pampered life (oh how the cold reality will hurt it once it gets here )

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
                          try giving it to a broker, truckers board..
                          piggyback it with something else..
                          I think they call it LTL.
                          me and my dad hauled a transformer and vehicle one load..good pay for driver, still saves for customer.
                          that is a really good idea, in the end, I'm going with "safe" and paying more - were it my car that I was going to work on; I'd not care and would have saved bucks by taking a chance on a hauler that doesn't speak english.... but not with my wife's car; those savings are a false economy because something bad always happens.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                            that is a really good idea, in the end, I'm going with "safe" and paying more - were it my car that I was going to work on; I'd not care and would have saved bucks by taking a chance on a hauler that doesn't speak english.... but not with my wife's car; those savings are a false economy because something bad always happens.
                            The Olds Vista Cruiser I posted awhile back that was sold at auction is a lesson to be learned by all. The registered owner (Sequim) is an Independent Car Hauler who has produced CDL, taken deposit and car and never delivered said load. Wanted in 5 states. What an asshat. I am concerned, even giving Highway Patrol Bill of Sale they would seize it as evidence.
                            Attached Files
                            Why dance when you can rock and roll?

Comment

woohoo, car will be here next Friday

Comment

Working...
                              X